HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-19-2008, 03:35 PM   #1
Snufi

Ports

Hi to all, I have recently been diagnosed with ER+PR-HER+++, Stage 2. I will be starting chemo soon and both oncologists are pretty admant about using a port. My mom had brain cancer and she used one with disastrous results. Have any of you had chemo wihtout a port? What were the results? thanks, Snufi
Snufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 04:31 PM   #2
BonnieR

Hello Snufi. Welcome to our group. Although we are never happy to know someone else had been diagnosed, this is a good place to receive answers and support.
I will tell you that I STARTED chemo and had 3 rounds without a port but the treatment nurses had difficulty with my veins and, since I was going to have infusions every 3 weeks for a year, they urged me and my onc to have a port installed. Which I did. My port was annoying only because it was badly placed. But I got thru the year, port is now gone and all is well. I notice now that the lab has difficulty with blood draws from my arm. So I think the port was a good decision for me.
Let us know what you decide and how things are going. Keep the faith.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 05:58 PM   #3
Cannon

You should do what you think is right, but my port was fine, and I was grateful to have it. The chemo can be very hard on your veins, and especially if you will receive herceptin, you're going to be getting many treatments. It was more-than-uncomfortable for about 3 weeks, and then it became a non issue.

I still have mine in, it helped when I had to have iron infusions earlier this year. I am thinking about having it removed in a couple of months assuming my next set of scans are clear, but I've been comfortable with it.
Taxol+Herceptin weekly x12, continuing with Herceptin, finished one year in 12/07
33 Rads
Femara for 5+ years, staying on (started with Arimidex, switched after about a month, much happier)
Abnormal brain MRI shows no cancer, but "extensive white matter diease" - unknown cause
BRCA negative - lots of cancer in my family
survivor of thyroid cancer
also have Crohn's disease
CT and bone scan say NED as of 5/13
dx with severe cardiomyopathy 5/12 (likely due to chemo and Herceptin), ejection fraction in low 20's, now up to 40, went to 50, latest read 12/13 is back down to 35
1/13 Acute pancreatitis - are you kidding me?
9/13 started Humira for Crohn's. starting to have some energy again
B12 and Vit D both needed supplementation
Cataracts in both eyes noted 6/12 - surgery in the next 2-4 years?
4/14 Kidney stones/blockage/infection - related to Crohn's Disease
5/14 My aunt passed away - she was diagnosed after I was with Stage I - not Her2+, then Stage 4 for about one year
6/14 Scans - still NED, thank God. However, broken rib (I didn't notice) lots of bone degeneration osteopenia/osteoporosis. I also still have cardiomyopathy secondary to chemo.
Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:51 PM   #4
dlaxague

I had no port

Hi,

You asked for report from those who had no ports, so I'm reporting in. I had A/C x 4 and Taxol x 4, every three weeks, plus multiple blood draws - lots of extra ones because my WBC's kept tanking and at that time, they gave Neupogen rather than the one-dose Neulasta, so they titrated the daily injections depending upon frequent lab results. No Herceptin. Only one arm was available for labs and chemo administration, due to axillary dissection (x2) and lymphedema in the cancer-side arm.

My labs and chemo were done using the same hand/wrist veins most of the time, and there were no problems. Only a few times required two sticks. Most of the time it was one stick only. I had not normally (before cancer) had an easy time with blood draws (from the antecubital/elbow site), but the hand/wrist veins behaved well throughout chemo.

That was 7 years ago - and no one has been able to get blood from the veins above the wrist since then. They appear to be fine but are apparently permanently scarred from the chemo because they just don't provide blood when even the most-expert lab techs try to access them. They always end up back at the hand or wrist to get blood, and that goes fine.

My choice not to get a port at the time of chemo was based mostly on my desire to keep things as simple as possible. Ports are handy, but not without the potential for problems. My choice worked for me. However, I did not get Herceptin, so I was finished after the 32-or-so weeks of chemo. But every three week Herceptin after chemo's done should not be that difficult. Plus the frequent blood draws are not required during Herceptin.

If you have bad veins already, including hand/wrist - it's a no-brainer. Get a port. If not - I think it's reasonable to give it a try without a port.

Debbie Laxague
dlaxague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:45 PM   #5
Gerri

Snufi,

I didn't get a port until I was done with AC and starting Taxol and Herceptin; I wish I had had it from the beginning. You need to do what feels comfortable to you.

Best of luck with your treatment.
ER+ (30%) /PR+ (50%), HER2+++
AC X 4 dose dense, Taxol X 4 dose dense
Herceptin started with 2nd Taxol, given weekly until chemo done
then given every 3 weeks for one year ending on March 16, 2007
Radiation 30 treatments
Tamoxifen - 2 yrs (pre-menopausal)
May 2008 - Feb 2012 Femara
Aug 2008 - Feb 2012 Zometa every 6 months
March 2012 - Stop Femara, now Evista for bone strengthening
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look
back and realize they were the big things.
- Robert Brault
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:01 AM   #6
Ruth

Snuffi ~ I am like Gerri. I didn't have a port with my dose dense A/C but then had one put in before I started Taxol with Herceptin. How I wished that I had that port all along. My lower veins in my left hand are forever rolling; tough and almost impossible for them to draw blood easily from. This is due to the Adriamycin I believe. My oncologist won't administer it anymore without a port. This was 5 years ago but I think that ports are wonderful!
Hugs ~ Ruth

Diagnosed 6/03 nursing daughter
Dose dense A/C 4x
Modified rad mast 8/03
IDC; 3 cm; 10+/16 nodes; ER/PR-; Her2+++
Weekly taxol w/Herceptin (off label) 12x's
40 weeks Herceptin
Radiation 33x
Reconstruction w/ implants 05 & 07
NED
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:25 AM   #7
Lori R

Snuffi,

First of all I love your choice of log'in. I give my daughter "snuffis" all the time. Code for lots of love and hugs. I always thought this was some weird thing that we made up.

Now..the port. I am sorry that your mom had a difficult time. I get the impression that the newer ports are less problematic. I have had mine since my initial surgery and have been pleased.

I find that it is just one less thing to think about when going in for treatment. I just get "hooked up..." and I am ready to roll. So, just one more vote for getting the port.

But...you will find on this web site, we all understand that everyone is different. What works for one might not work for another. The port certainly is a reminder that all is not "perfect", to some that constant reminder would be bothersome.

I don't think there is a "wrong" answer on this one.

Best of luck...Lori
Node + 2/14 - Single Liver Met
Double Mastectomy
Nov - Begin T+H
Feb-Complete 6 cycles- T&H- NED
March - Continue - Herceptin Only
April - Rads for 6 weeks
Continue Herceptin - Continue NED
April - Recurrance- 3 cm. Liver Met
May - Cryosurgery
June - November - Abraxane + Herceptin
Aug - PET/CT - CTC = 0 Back to NED
January - Continue NED
July - Recurrance - 3 cm Liver Met CTC=1
August - Cryosurgery #2
August - November Navelbine
November - Back to NED - End Navelbine
Feb - Recur - 4 cm Liver Met - Same Left Lobe
March Surgery it is -Couldn't get a clean margin
July - Confirmed continued liver involvement
August - Begin Herceptin + Tykerb
October - Mixed results from H+T
Add Abraxane + H + T - Nov - April
January PET Scan - It's working!!
April - Back to NED
July - Recurrance
August - Begin TDM-1 Trial (Taxol + TDM-1)
Lori R is offline   Reply With Quote