HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Ports (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37283)

Snufi 12-19-2008 03:35 PM

Ports

Hi to all, I have recently been diagnosed with ER+PR-HER+++, Stage 2. I will be starting chemo soon and both oncologists are pretty admant about using a port. My mom had brain cancer and she used one with disastrous results. Have any of you had chemo wihtout a port? What were the results? thanks, Snufi

BonnieR 12-19-2008 04:31 PM

Hello Snufi. Welcome to our group. Although we are never happy to know someone else had been diagnosed, this is a good place to receive answers and support.
I will tell you that I STARTED chemo and had 3 rounds without a port but the treatment nurses had difficulty with my veins and, since I was going to have infusions every 3 weeks for a year, they urged me and my onc to have a port installed. Which I did. My port was annoying only because it was badly placed. But I got thru the year, port is now gone and all is well. I notice now that the lab has difficulty with blood draws from my arm. So I think the port was a good decision for me.
Let us know what you decide and how things are going. Keep the faith.

Cannon 12-19-2008 05:58 PM

You should do what you think is right, but my port was fine, and I was grateful to have it. The chemo can be very hard on your veins, and especially if you will receive herceptin, you're going to be getting many treatments. It was more-than-uncomfortable for about 3 weeks, and then it became a non issue.

I still have mine in, it helped when I had to have iron infusions earlier this year. I am thinking about having it removed in a couple of months assuming my next set of scans are clear, but I've been comfortable with it.

dlaxague 12-19-2008 06:51 PM

I had no port

Hi,

You asked for report from those who had no ports, so I'm reporting in. I had A/C x 4 and Taxol x 4, every three weeks, plus multiple blood draws - lots of extra ones because my WBC's kept tanking and at that time, they gave Neupogen rather than the one-dose Neulasta, so they titrated the daily injections depending upon frequent lab results. No Herceptin. Only one arm was available for labs and chemo administration, due to axillary dissection (x2) and lymphedema in the cancer-side arm.

My labs and chemo were done using the same hand/wrist veins most of the time, and there were no problems. Only a few times required two sticks. Most of the time it was one stick only. I had not normally (before cancer) had an easy time with blood draws (from the antecubital/elbow site), but the hand/wrist veins behaved well throughout chemo.

That was 7 years ago - and no one has been able to get blood from the veins above the wrist since then. They appear to be fine but are apparently permanently scarred from the chemo because they just don't provide blood when even the most-expert lab techs try to access them. They always end up back at the hand or wrist to get blood, and that goes fine.

My choice not to get a port at the time of chemo was based mostly on my desire to keep things as simple as possible. Ports are handy, but not without the potential for problems. My choice worked for me. However, I did not get Herceptin, so I was finished after the 32-or-so weeks of chemo. But every three week Herceptin after chemo's done should not be that difficult. Plus the frequent blood draws are not required during Herceptin.

If you have bad veins already, including hand/wrist - it's a no-brainer. Get a port. If not - I think it's reasonable to give it a try without a port.

Debbie Laxague

Gerri 12-19-2008 08:45 PM

Snufi,

I didn't get a port until I was done with AC and starting Taxol and Herceptin; I wish I had had it from the beginning. You need to do what feels comfortable to you.

Best of luck with your treatment.

Ruth 12-20-2008 11:01 AM

Snuffi ~ I am like Gerri. I didn't have a port with my dose dense A/C but then had one put in before I started Taxol with Herceptin. How I wished that I had that port all along. My lower veins in my left hand are forever rolling; tough and almost impossible for them to draw blood easily from. This is due to the Adriamycin I believe. My oncologist won't administer it anymore without a port. This was 5 years ago but I think that ports are wonderful!
Hugs ~ Ruth

Lori R 12-20-2008 11:25 AM

Snuffi,

First of all I love your choice of log'in. I give my daughter "snuffis" all the time. Code for lots of love and hugs. I always thought this was some weird thing that we made up.

Now..the port. I am sorry that your mom had a difficult time. I get the impression that the newer ports are less problematic. I have had mine since my initial surgery and have been pleased.

I find that it is just one less thing to think about when going in for treatment. I just get "hooked up..." and I am ready to roll. So, just one more vote for getting the port.

But...you will find on this web site, we all understand that everyone is different. What works for one might not work for another. The port certainly is a reminder that all is not "perfect", to some that constant reminder would be bothersome.

I don't think there is a "wrong" answer on this one.

Best of luck...Lori