HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-20-2012, 03:55 AM   #1
pibikay

Question What are he side efects of radiation

Hema completed her 20days course of radiation in the brain
But the main problem she is facing is tiredness like when she was on Chemo. She says she is feeling "unstedy"Her sight has improved.A bit of haziness is there.Is the fatigue common.
Left breast cauliflower 25x20cm
ossousmetstatis in vertbrae secondaries L4=L5secondary
nodules in both liver lobes secondary
Diagnosed 10th March 2010
ER/PR-ve
Her 2 neu +++
Taxotrne Zylotec started 16th March
Herceptin added 5th April.9th Herceptin over on 20th Sep '10.Started on Tykerb and Xeloda on 22nd Oct2010TYKERB 4 TAB A DAY XELODA 4 TAB A DAY ONE WEEK ON ONE WEEK OFFZoletrust infusion every 4 months.Lesion in Brain 3D CRT Radiation started on 1st Feb'12 for 20 days ,5 days a week for 4 weeks.Devloped a small lump in breast.Xeloda stopped from 11th April '12.On Taxol.After 3 cycles of Taxol Taxol stopped.Back to Xeloda regime from 3rd July
Herceptin started again on 27th Dec 2012.Xeloda stopped Navelbin added on 7th February 2013.Now on Tykerb Herceptin and Navelbin
pibikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:32 AM   #2
NEDenise

Re: What are he side efects of radiation

PBK,
I didn't have WBR, only radiation to the tumor areas in my chest and clavicle but..
I was exhausted the week after the treatments ended. I imagine Hema's fatigue is even more pronounced. I hope someone with brain rad experience will chime in here soon to give you both the benefit of their wisdom.
Please give my best regards to Hema. I hope she's feeling more like her self soon.
Denise
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
ElaineM

Wink Re: What are he side efects of radiation

I have never had radiation, but the people I know who have had it all told me they felt very tired, so I think that is to be expected.
Just going to all those appointments everyday would make me tired !!!! I need balance in my life. I try not to schedule medical appointments two days in a row, much less everyday for weeks !! If I ever need radiation it is going to be a challenge just to get there everyday !!
If she is unsteady she should report that to her doctor. The unsteadiness could be related to the fatique, but it could be something else too. Our brains have alot to do with our ability to move around and walk without bumping into things. I am glad her sight is getting better. That will help the unsteadiness and help her enjoy life to the fullest.
All the best to you both. Take good care of each other.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
Delaney

Red face Re: What are he side efects of radiation

Is Hema on steroids? They help with steadiness and also with energy. I am on a low dose while I await radiation. they seem to be a necessary nuisance. we hate them but if they improve things...............
Lung mets shrinking.
Back on Herceptin with T/X. Partial response.
Skin mets progressing. Radiation scheduled mid february 2011.
Spot found on hip - radiation to hip beginning mid February 2011.
Now trying Gemzar/Tyverb/Herceptin and Zometa.
CT scan Feb 2011 - lung clear!
Brain mets (specks) - radiation mid Feb.
Brain Scan June'11 - Clear
CT Scan June'11 - Good - skin met active - watch and wait.
Surgery to remove skin met. Surgery to back 2012, four titanium rods inserted. Skin mets reappear. On Navelbine, not working. 4 week washout, start Myocet for skin and lung mets August 2012. Brain scan clear despte intermittent blurry vision (something hiding? Am suspicious but hopeful. )On we go, glad to be here.
Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:38 AM   #5
pibikay

Yes.Hema was on Steroids.It started with 24mg per day and finall tapered off a week after the radiation was over.Her cheeks ooked as if she had mumps.She is getting back to normal.But the tiredness/fatigue is there but mnuch less
Left breast cauliflower 25x20cm
ossousmetstatis in vertbrae secondaries L4=L5secondary
nodules in both liver lobes secondary
Diagnosed 10th March 2010
ER/PR-ve
Her 2 neu +++
Taxotrne Zylotec started 16th March
Herceptin added 5th April.9th Herceptin over on 20th Sep '10.Started on Tykerb and Xeloda on 22nd Oct2010TYKERB 4 TAB A DAY XELODA 4 TAB A DAY ONE WEEK ON ONE WEEK OFFZoletrust infusion every 4 months.Lesion in Brain 3D CRT Radiation started on 1st Feb'12 for 20 days ,5 days a week for 4 weeks.Devloped a small lump in breast.Xeloda stopped from 11th April '12.On Taxol.After 3 cycles of Taxol Taxol stopped.Back to Xeloda regime from 3rd July
Herceptin started again on 27th Dec 2012.Xeloda stopped Navelbin added on 7th February 2013.Now on Tykerb Herceptin and Navelbin
pibikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #6
ElaineM

Wink Re: What are he side efects of radiation

I am happy to hear that Hema is getting back to normal.
The tiredness may last awhile, but it should slowly go away. She should eat healthy energy producing food, get plenty of sleep and plenty of fresh air with a little exercise. A daily walk outside might help.
Take good care of each other. All the best to you both.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:36 PM   #7
jml

Hi~
I'm hoping Hema is starting to feel more and more like herself.
I completed 15 rounds of WBR, and am approaching 4 weeks since finishing, and only now starting to really feel the fatigue lessen.
It was confusing, trying to decipher how I was feeling and why...
Some specific side effects that persist are stuffed up ears, occassional ringing in the ears, inability to really focus sharply on something, which makes driving little nerve wracking. I never had issues with dizzyness, or losing my balance or Thank God, no seizures or even headaches.
My hair started rubbing out of my head at day 10, and my scalp in completely burnt from the base of my skull all the way down my forhead to my eyebrows. Even behind my ears is burnt, so that is annoying and a little painful.
The decadron (steroids) certainly masked some of the fatigue, especially at the beginning of WBR, but it wasn't without its own yucky side effects, like not able to sleep, fixation on food, chubby cheeks & just feeling a little edgy & off.
I started on 4mg of decadron BID, then 4mg/2mg, then 2mg/2mg, then finally over the next 15 days after finishing WBR I was weaned down to 1mg/1mg, .5mg/.5mg, then finally just .5mg. Without the decadron in my system the fatigue was more prevalent - I could just feel the weight of my limbs and my body and just didn't have any get up and go. I could keep up with low key activities and visits, but could lay down at any moment and sleep.
Now that I'm a month out (with wonderfully, fabulous NED in the Head results!) I am feeling better and see glimpses of my old self.
I do have some other stuff going on that requires antibiotics that are causing me all kinds of problems, but during those windowns of time when I'm not having GI or nausea or running a temp, I think I feel pretty okay.
Encourage Hema to be patient, and the body will bounce back with time. And so will the face swelling will lessen every day on it's own.
It's a strange thing bc even though you know your "done" with treatment, remember the effects of the WBR can persist long past the days of actually getting zapped and the kindest thing we can do for our bodies is give it the time and space it needs to heal, rest and recuperate.
Sending much healing your way~

Jml

Last edited by jml; 03-24-2012 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: typos
jml is offline   Reply With Quote