HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   What are he side efects of radiation (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53517)

pibikay 03-20-2012 03:55 AM

What are he side efects of radiation

Hema completed her 20days course of radiation in the brain
But the main problem she is facing is tiredness like when she was on Chemo. She says she is feeling "unstedy"Her sight has improved.A bit of haziness is there.Is the fatigue common.

NEDenise 03-20-2012 06:32 AM

Re: What are he side efects of radiation

PBK,
I didn't have WBR, only radiation to the tumor areas in my chest and clavicle but..
I was exhausted the week after the treatments ended. I imagine Hema's fatigue is even more pronounced. I hope someone with brain rad experience will chime in here soon to give you both the benefit of their wisdom.
Please give my best regards to Hema. I hope she's feeling more like her self soon.
Denise

ElaineM 03-20-2012 09:55 AM

I have never had radiation, but the people I know who have had it all told me they felt very tired, so I think that is to be expected.
Just going to all those appointments everyday would make me tired !!!! I need balance in my life. I try not to schedule medical appointments two days in a row, much less everyday for weeks !! If I ever need radiation it is going to be a challenge just to get there everyday !!
If she is unsteady she should report that to her doctor. The unsteadiness could be related to the fatique, but it could be something else too. Our brains have alot to do with our ability to move around and walk without bumping into things. I am glad her sight is getting better. That will help the unsteadiness and help her enjoy life to the fullest.
All the best to you both. Take good care of each other.

Delaney 03-20-2012 11:27 AM

Is Hema on steroids? They help with steadiness and also with energy. I am on a low dose while I await radiation. they seem to be a necessary nuisance. we hate them but if they improve things...............

pibikay 03-23-2012 03:38 AM

Yes.Hema was on Steroids.It started with 24mg per day and finall tapered off a week after the radiation was over.Her cheeks ooked as if she had mumps.She is getting back to normal.But the tiredness/fatigue is there but mnuch less

ElaineM 03-23-2012 10:15 AM

I am happy to hear that Hema is getting back to normal.
The tiredness may last awhile, but it should slowly go away. She should eat healthy energy producing food, get plenty of sleep and plenty of fresh air with a little exercise. A daily walk outside might help.
Take good care of each other. All the best to you both.

jml 03-24-2012 05:36 PM

Hi~
I'm hoping Hema is starting to feel more and more like herself.
I completed 15 rounds of WBR, and am approaching 4 weeks since finishing, and only now starting to really feel the fatigue lessen.
It was confusing, trying to decipher how I was feeling and why...
Some specific side effects that persist are stuffed up ears, occassional ringing in the ears, inability to really focus sharply on something, which makes driving little nerve wracking. I never had issues with dizzyness, or losing my balance or Thank God, no seizures or even headaches.
My hair started rubbing out of my head at day 10, and my scalp in completely burnt from the base of my skull all the way down my forhead to my eyebrows. Even behind my ears is burnt, so that is annoying and a little painful.
The decadron (steroids) certainly masked some of the fatigue, especially at the beginning of WBR, but it wasn't without its own yucky side effects, like not able to sleep, fixation on food, chubby cheeks & just feeling a little edgy & off.
I started on 4mg of decadron BID, then 4mg/2mg, then 2mg/2mg, then finally over the next 15 days after finishing WBR I was weaned down to 1mg/1mg, .5mg/.5mg, then finally just .5mg. Without the decadron in my system the fatigue was more prevalent - I could just feel the weight of my limbs and my body and just didn't have any get up and go. I could keep up with low key activities and visits, but could lay down at any moment and sleep.
Now that I'm a month out (with wonderfully, fabulous NED in the Head results!) I am feeling better and see glimpses of my old self.
I do have some other stuff going on that requires antibiotics that are causing me all kinds of problems, but during those windowns of time when I'm not having GI or nausea or running a temp, I think I feel pretty okay.
Encourage Hema to be patient, and the body will bounce back with time. And so will the face swelling will lessen every day on it's own.
It's a strange thing bc even though you know your "done" with treatment, remember the effects of the WBR can persist long past the days of actually getting zapped and the kindest thing we can do for our bodies is give it the time and space it needs to heal, rest and recuperate.
Sending much healing your way~

Jml