HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-01-2006, 11:53 AM   #1
emmasmom

Return of Menstruation Cycle

I have finished all of my treatments, except for herceptin which I will be on until February. For the last 3 weeks I feel like I am going to get my period every day. I have cramps, have been hormonal, have had waves of tiredness and am just plain bloated ... All of which were symptoms of PMS before this cancer thing. I am 36 and my doctor thinks my period will return. I was wondering if anyone had PMS symptoms awhile before they had their first period. I just got back all of my scans which were clear so I can't figure out what is going on!

Lisa
emmasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 03:22 PM   #2
kim

For a couple of months I felt like I had my typical premenstral symptoms off and on. I was convinced I was coming out of menopause and had my onc check because I was on Arimidex. Sure enough I was out. June 1 I had my first period in 2 1/2 years(and my gosh was it heavy). You may be coming out, you can always have your onc check your hormone levels to see for sure.
Hope this helps,
Kim
kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 03:24 PM   #3
kim

totally ot

I see you are in Chicago--I just did the American Girl thing with my daughter 2 weeks ago, sure was fun.
Kim
Old 08-01-2006, 04:10 PM   #4
madubois63

I am going to assume your Her2 positive because you are taking Herceptin and this is the Her2 board...This is just my opinion... The Her2 gene feeds off of estrogen. If you are getting your period, that means your body is making estrogen again (besides the small amount your hypothalamus makes). If you don't want you estrogen hungry BC to return, why feed it?? I get Lupron shots once every three months to keep me in menopause. I WISH I had done this before I had a relapse. I would have had my ovaries removed except that no anesthesiologist would put me under because of the fluid in my lungs (tried twice to get them removed - was actually on the gurney when the anesthesiologist canceled the surgery even though I had clearance). JMO
..·´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
-:¦:-
((¸¸.·´ ¸.·´
-:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:-
((¸¸.Maryann -:¦:-´´
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:01 PM   #5
Becky

Hi Emmasmom

I was like Kim. In and out of feeling like I would get my period back - and I was 45!!! Then I did. It was very, very heavy. I had to change my pad every 30 minutes. I truly was bleeding to death (just telling you this in case it happens to you so you don't get scared). It was this way for 2 days then for 3 days it was like my normal period always was. I got my ovaries removed 3 weeks later so I could take Arimidex (I am also ER+).

Plus, I was older than you are at the time (I am now 47).

PMS for me was feeling bloated and having sore breasts (not as sore as they were before bc).

I am sure if you get your period back, it will not be "right" the first time or two. But it usually rights itself and you will be back in sync like you were before, especially since you are under 40.

Kind regards

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:15 AM   #6
Unregistered

I am an Emma's Mom too! I was nursing my Emma (36 at the time) when I was diagnosed so basically didn't have a period for 2 years maybe? Then after chemo started going out of my system and I was still on Herceptin I started feeling like I was going to get my period. I think it was maybe 2 or 3 months and then it came back and has been in full force since...was never regular before this but have been regular since going on two years. With your age I bet this is happening soon.

I didn't think that HER2 fed off of estrogen? That is why my Onc. doesn't have me on anything since I was ER/PR-....am I missing something? I don't want to get scared!!

Ruth
Old 08-04-2006, 11:39 AM   #7
kat in the delta

Location: MS Delta in Clarksdale="Home of the Blues" (near Memphis,TN)by Misssissippi River/levee's highest pt.
Post kat in the delta

I just finished my 1 yr of Herceptin. Altho I am 51, my Onc just made me do a blood test to see if my hormones were/not working as I was Slightly ER +. Then, he would know whether to put me on Tamoxifen(if working)or one of the aromatose inhibitors-Arimidex,Femara,Aromasin(sp?). You should Get YOUR Hormone Levels Checked--for sure !!! If not working, I would ask for more scans--even a PET scan!! let me know, kat in the delta
kat in the delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:46 PM   #8
emmasmom

I just had scans done less than a month ago and I was all clean! Maybe my body is just trying to regulate ... who knows

I didn't think that HER2 fed off of estrogen either. Can someone help with that? Thanks!

Lisa
emmasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 05:21 AM   #9
Lauriemn

I also had symptoms of pms a few times, but yet have not got my period back. I am 38 and finished my year of Herceptin 2 months ago. I had the fsh test done twice and it is very high, which indicates I am in menopause. (eventhough there is some question of how reliable that test is)

I am hoping I get my period back, as I was er/pr-. It will be a year at the end of Aug. that I finished chemo. They say if your period is coming back, it could take up to a year after finishing chemo. So, I am starting to lose hope. I am wondering if Herceptin has any effect in delaying the return. Has anyone heard if Herceptin could affect it?

Laurie
Lauriemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 06:08 AM   #10
kim

Laurie,

I do not know if Herceptin has any impact on return of your period, but mine took a really long time to come back. I was 37 at diagnosis and it returned over 2 years after my last chemo treatment. So don't lose hope yet.

Hope this helps,
Kim
Old 08-06-2006, 10:06 AM   #11
juanita

I think that types of chemo you have has something to do woth whether or not menopause is permanent. I read in a book (Can't remember which one cuz I read so many) that cmf causes permanent menopause in 80% of those over 40. That is the chemo i took so I am waiting to see.
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote