HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-13-2006, 08:34 PM   #1
Unregistered

Unhappy Microcalifications

In 1994 I had microcalsifications removed from left breast, B9. Surgeon stated no cancer and the cals were removed sucessfully. In 6/05 during a routine mamo and ultrasound breast cancer was confirmed in same breast. Lumpectomy in 7/05 for 1.5cm and .4cm tumors, neg sentinal nodes. Both masses were ER-Pr-and Her2+++. I was treated with 4 cycles of A/C followed by Taxol (12) and Herceptin to equal 1 year. Scheduled to finish in December 2006 if Muga stays in the 50 range. Rads = 30.
I am due to see breast surgeon tomorrow for 1 year follow up and my 1st mamo since dx. Was wondering what questions I should be asking and what type of follow-up I should be having. My onc doesn't believe in doing tumor markers or rountine scans. Fearful of recurrance or mets since it appears there are many stage 1 individuals with Her2+++ that seem to progress to Stage IV.
Also does anyone have info about microcals? I was nieve 10 years ago and didn't think anything of it but now and wondering if it was pre-cancer. Maybe I should have been followed more aggressively than having yearly mamos. I have a history of bc in the family. Maternal grandmo dx post menopausal and mother dx post memopausal with stage 1 then after 13 years mets to bone, died age 65.
Thanks for any info.
Pebbles
Old 07-14-2006, 03:57 AM   #2
tousled1

My oncologist orders a muga every three months, and a PETscan every three months. As for tumor marker tests - my onc will do them at my request but says that they are not really that reliable. There are too many things that can affect the test. As for a mammo, I would think that you should have had one at 6 months not a year. Again, I'm not a doctor. If I were you I'd push your onc for at least a PETscan. Good luck to you.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 05:02 AM   #3
janet/FL

Hi Pebbles
My breast surgeon has requested a mammo and MRI at two year follow up probably due to dense tissue from the radiation. My regular onc would not have ordered this. It is nice to keep all of your doctors, envolved so that one can order tests the others might not. Also, some doctors give better hands on breast exams than others. I really should give them a grade as to how well I think they do the manual breast exam. Maybe that would, if said in the right way, encourage them to do more thorough ones. I really object to the ones that barely test the breast and only briefly under arm or many even not. Hardly ever do they ask me to raise my arms, etc. as the books on how to do a breast exam.
Janet
janet/FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 01:57 PM   #4
Barbara

Follow-up

Hi:

For the first five years I would request quarterly labs including cancer markers CA 27-29 and CEA. The CA 27-29 is accuarate in about 70% of met cases. I would ask for the CEA as it is often more accurate for Brain Mets. I would also want a full Metobolic Panel to look at liver enzymes, calicum and alkaline phosphatase (bone mets). I would try to schedule a mammogram yearly and in the six months interval have a Breast MRI. That way you are examined every six months. Mammos are only about 70% accurate in women who have dense breasts and microcalcifications. MRI's are about 98.5% accurate.

Barb
Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote