HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-18-2006, 06:57 PM   #1
StephN

Talking Hospital stay last week

Been away from my computer and just catching up with everyone today while hubby does yard work, which I can't do right now (otherwise we are out there together).
Some of you know that I have a post-brain surgery (last Feb 9) problem that is a fluid pocket formed at the surgery site and around it at the back of my neck. It was increasing and getting more bothersome, so my brain surgeon suggested trying a minimally invasive procedure.

I went in on Monday midday and had a Lumbar Drain inserted late that afternoon. The purpose of this is to control a slow decrease in the excess cerebral/spinal fluid that accumulated. The drip is calculated at between 10 & 15 cc/hour. This necessitates a hospital stay as they have to constantly monitor this drip level and see how it may be affecting the patient. The tiny catheter insertion was about like a poke for infusion and I was numbed for that. They plaster all the tiny lines down with Tegaderm and I felt nothing and could lie on my back all I wanted.
They also take a 5" Ace bandage and wrap it wround my head for compression. I am still wearing that for a few more days. (I look like a woodpecker with my hair curling out the top ...)
This procedure has a less than 50% success rate in curing the pinhole(s) from the surgery that are allowing the leak. In my case the fluid pocket is much reduced and hopefully the scalp and muscle can knit back together and what fluid is left will be managed by the tissues there. I have 2 little stitches in my L4 area where the drain catheter was removed and other than some resulting headaches from the change in fluid pressue inside my skull, am doing fine.

This is not something I recall seeing posted about on this board and even when I did a web search for "tap & wrap" or "lumbar drain" there is not much info on them. Since a piece of bone was removed at the back of my skull, there is a depression for fluid to form. Not all brain surgeries need to put the bone back, but this is not the main reason for the problem.

Since I was not sure how it would go, I decided not to post going in to the procedure, as I may have had to stay and have another surgery on Monday if this did not go as it did.
For the resulting headaches they gave me Tylenol and suggested I take something with caffeine. As I have been off caffeine for 5 years, I am sensitive to this and it worked pretty well. ALso another reason to eat more of my organic dark chocolate! (An excuse like this I could do without!)

Am busy catching up on my lost sleep, and what a treat not to have to go for a CT scan at 4:15am this morning! They do all the tests and blood work that early so it is ready for the docs and residents when they make their 7 am rounds.
If you have any questions, let me know and I will keep you posted on follow up.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.

Last edited by StephN; 06-19-2006 at 02:45 AM..
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 07:04 PM   #2
rinaina

I just wanted to wish you well and let you know that I am praying this procedure works to it's fullest and you find the relief for your problems. Gosh, the more I read hear the more blessed I feel so far. I really never knew the full scope of what can happen with this Her2+ breast cancer when it reoccurs. I'm praying for you and so many of you others out there. I hope G-d is watching over all of us. Let the researchers continue strongly on their paths to find more and more that will lead them to a cure that is so desparately needed.
AC 4 dense doses
34 radiation treatments including booster doses
receiving herceptin every 3 weeks since late August 2006 for 12 months
rinaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 07:12 PM   #3
lu ann

Dear Steph, It amazes me the things we have to endure associated with this disease. It calls us for a strength which we never knew we had. You are a very strong woman with such a positive spirit. I pray that you stay strong and are able to continue your witness to all of us who need extra encouragement. Love and Blessings from Lu Ann.
lu ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 07:21 PM   #4
Barbara H.

Wink

Steph,
What an ordeal! I agree, the lose of sleep that one suffers in a hospital is very trying. I'm glad your home and getting some rest, and I hope that this procedure works.
Best wishes,
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 07:27 PM   #5
StephN

Cool Break ourselves down and rebuild.

This past week is one of those time I had to just go on Cruise Control and let Mother Nature take Her course. This is not the easiest thing to do, but as a veteran cancer patient, is a skill I have developed for self preservation.

We are told that we have abilities to do things; it is being able to BELIEVE that and act on it that is the hardest part. Learning to relax and find a center is how I have managed to have PATIENCE through all my travels with breast cancer. (I think they misspell "patients.")
Sure, we are anxious to return to what was once our Normal lives, but for us, we have to accept that we have a new life. Make the most of the days you have some energy, and give as much of that energy to those you love.

The main thing I remember every day is that NO active cancer has been detected in me for over 1.5 years - and if it is, I have plenty of new ammo to throw at it. So far Herceptin has NOT let me down, and has been my best friend in my fight. I know I am joined by others such as Christine in this result. Now if I can get her track record after this, I will be most grateful.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:45 PM   #6
Bev

Good luck Steph, BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:52 PM   #7
al from Canada

love ya Steph

Al
Old 06-18-2006, 10:22 PM   #8
Lolly

Steph, you are amazing.

<3 Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 02:24 AM   #9
RhondaH

Smile Oh Steph!!!!...

what a WEEK you've had. I'm glad everything turned out ok. Take care, God bless and REST.

Rhonda

Dx 2/1/05, Stage 1, 0 nodes, Grade 3, ER/PR-, HER2+ (3.16 Fish)
2/7/05, Partial Mastectomy
5/18/05 Finished 6 rounds of dose dense TEC (Taxotere, Epirubicin and Cytoxan)
8/1/05 Finished 33 rads
8/18/05 Started Herceptin, every 3 weeks for a year (last one 8/10/06)

2/1/13...8 year Cancerversary and I am "perfect" (at least where cancer is concerned;)

" And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 04:38 AM   #10
IRENE FROM TAMPA

Steph

You are such a trooper Steph and an inspiration to us all.
TREAT: STEM CELL REPLACEMENT/HERCEPTIN.
2002 - RECUR TO LIVER
TREAT: NAVELBINE, THEN GEMZAR, THEN XELODA.
2004 - TUMORS STILL IN LIVER
TREAT: RFA TO LIVER
STABLE UNTIL
2004 - TUMOR PROGRESSION IN LIVER.
TREAT: RESECT HALF OF LIVER.
2005 - RECURR TO LYMPH NODE OUTSIDE OF LIVER.
TREAT: TAXOL/CARPO/HERCEPTIN. FAILED ON
THIS TRIO. STARTED ON ABRAXANE.
2006 - PROGRESS WITH 2ND TUMOR GROWTH.
TREAT: AUG. BEGAN ON TYKERB/XELODA
TRIAL. CONSIDERED STABLE TO DATE.
2007 - TAKEN OFF OF TYKERB/XELODA TRIAL DUE TO
PROGRESS STARTING TYKERB/AVASTIN.
NOV 2007 - SCANS SHOW PROGRESS TUMOR GROWTH
IN ABDOM. AND TWO NEW TUMORS IN NECK AREA.
BEGAN HERCEPTIN/AVASTIN/TAXOTERE
Feb 08 - Ixempra/Xeloda
June 08 - Her/DM1 trial

"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY."
IRENE FROM TAMPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 05:50 AM   #11
pattyz

OMG Steph!!! We could have atleast been praying for you, girlfriend! this sound way more scarey than you report it to be...... imho!

It also sounds like what you really need most at the moment is a week of good nights sleep. I do hope that is the sum total of your recovery and that this procedure will provide you with permanent relief. Afterall, there is no reason why you can't be in that successful percent of "tap & wraps"!!

lots of hugs,
xoxopattyz
pattyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 06:16 AM   #12
Ann

You have a great attitude and I admire you for this. To take each day one at a time and to realize life has changed is a philosophy that I am working on. May you have the best success with your latest medicap procedure!
Old 06-19-2006, 10:56 AM   #13
Esther

Steph glad you feel up to posting, it sounds like things are coming along well.
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:00 PM   #14
mamacze

Here you are now, just barely post hospitalization and already, thinking about us enough to post right away. you are really something...and now it is no surprise that you are apparently pioneering this seemingly new tap and wrap or Lumbar drain procedure. Thank you for keeping us posted and letting us know you are holding your own.
Love Kim from CT
mamacze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:59 AM   #15
Kim in CA

Steph,

You are such a pioneer. I am so sorry you have had this to deal with on top of everything else. Try to keep your inner calm and work on healing. We old timers just can't let our guard down, can we?

Sending my best thoughts and prayers to you. Love Kim
Kim in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:19 PM   #16
TriciaK

Once again you are leading the way and showing that amazingly strong spirit! I am so impressed with how you take it all in stride and do what ever it takes. Surely "Amazon Warrior" is an appropriate title for you, Steph! Thank you for sharing---this procedure is totally new to me. I have learned so much from you and you are surely an inspiration in so many ways! Hugs, Tricia
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 02:06 PM   #17
madubois63

Steph - I am glad things went well, and am praying all continues to improve. I do know about those early morning tests (4 am for blood every morning). Enjoy your sleep and your home...
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:09 PM   #18
G. Ann

Steph,

Thank you for sharing your experience and to all the others who are facing challenges. Steph, your spirit shines through. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
G.Ann
G. Ann is offline   Reply With Quote