HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-23-2006, 08:16 AM   #1
peytons mom

Herceptin and Novelbine switching to Avastin

Hello all,

I'm a stage 4 who was found to move from a three to a four after a spot on my liver was found and some skin mets over my implant. The liver spot is shrinking but the skin continues to look very red. My onc. is looking to switch me to Avastin with herceptin. Anyone else do this and did it work? Any side effects? Will I ever get rid of the skin mets? Or will I just keep them at bay? I've been doing weekly chemo since the first of the year and I'm becoming worn out. I welcome any positives!!

Thanks to all of you. Your the greatest!

Peyton's mom
peytons mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:53 AM   #2
al from Canada

There have been some great preliminary results at SABCS last December from the emmeritus Dr Slamon himself.

Look forward to some decent results.
Good luck,
Al
Old 05-23-2006, 08:54 AM   #3
Sandy H

I have skin mets (5 years now)from inflammatory breast cancer. My oncologist is thinking about adding avastin to the herceptin. He is going to a conference in Atlanta next week hoping to get more info. I don't believe one ever gets rid of the skin mets but can be stable. Need to find the right combo for that patient. Everyone is different. I know Taxol worked great for me but now I think it has turned resistant. He added carboplatin for a while and said he could change to cisplatin but then the neuropathy is my major side effect. I will see him in 3 weeks and see what he comes up with. I don't have it any where else. I hope this gives you encouragement that they are treatable but need to find the right combo. hugs, Sandy
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 01:58 PM   #4
peytons mom

My original chemo was carboplatin, taxotere and herceptin. I was NED for a good 1 1/2 year. I'm also IBC. The skin mets are new though. Have you heard of Miltex and does it work? I'm having itching and throbbing.

Peyton's Mom
peytons mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:14 PM   #5
Sandy H

Oh yes, I have used Miltex off and on for 3 years now. I doubt if you can get it though. I got it through the Compassionate Care program the first two times. The third time which was last year I thought my oncologist was going to jail!! It got to customs in New York and the FDA would not release it. I contacted my local congress and she was able to get it released to my oncologist. It comes from Germany. It worked for me but not a cure. I think if you only have a few spots its pretty good but more then that and its not enough unless used with chemo. It is very harsh and will cause burning and drying of the skin. Don't know which is worse the itching and burning of the skin mets or the same thing from the Miltex. Out side of chemo I don't know what one can use for the pain and throbbing. Feels like bacon grease burning the skin!!! There is lots of paperwork to do for the Miltex and I understand the FDA does not want us using it here in the U.S. So what else is new. Wishing you well, Sandy
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:25 AM   #6
R.B.

Do check out the side effects of avastin.

Search on google there are several sites.

Fats play a large part in skin maintenance and formation.

RB
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote