HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-15-2006, 09:30 AM   #1
tammymarie1971

does any one have advice/encouragement??

I really am bummed out about my tumor markers ca 15-3 being 102!! does ANYONE have some advice or similiar experiences...Do bladder infections cause a rise in these markers...what have you found helpful to bring them down??
Anything to encourage me would be great!!
Tammy
Dx'd Dec'01 while 6mos preg. with #4. child (30yrsold)Mastectomy/AC chemo/radiation/ Recur:Mar'04 liver mets: 3 taxol/herceptin /liver resection/3 taxol/herceptin. Cured?
Recur: May'05 spine & Hip. New onc
treatment in Mexico Feb'06-Mar-06
back to Mexico June/July '06
Currently on herceptin/Zometa/Femara-recently added navelbine
Switched to arimidex Nov'06
ovaries removed June '07
ca15-3 in May'06 was 102
ca15-3 summer of '07 holding steady at 23!
ca15-3 slowly rising Dec & Jan 36, 38, 41 and Feb was 36
Feb '08 Liver, lung & Brain scan NED... bones are stable with even a couple spots gone. as compared with '06 scans
May '08 ca 15-3 is 55. Treatment is zometa, vinorelbine, herceptin and aromasin.
No signifcant changes.
Feb'09 Started Xeloda with herceptin..no more hormonals
Feb'09-June'09 tumor markers coming down again from 155 to 84
May'09 blood clots in lungs vena cava filter put in..Heparin shots daily for now.
tammymarie1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:34 PM   #2
tousled1

My oncologist uses the CA27-29 tumor marker. I had one upon initial diagnosis and then again halfway through my neoadjunct chemo. Needless to say, the marker had more than doubled but according to the onc it was nothing to worry about since it was still "within the normal range." I had it repeated last week and just got the result back today -- it is down again. Most oncologists don't even do tumor marker tests because too often they fluctuate -- infection, diet, etc.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:42 PM   #3
heblaj01

does any one have advice/encouragement??

I have no direct experience with the combo Herceptin/Femara/Zometa you are treated with.
But from experience with Femara & Zometa & the available data on Herceptin I would say this should be a successful treatment.
Femara is the stronghest estrogen suppressor among the aromatase inhibitor drugs. It may take 3 to 6 months to show maximum results on markers.
Because of the deep estrogen supression Zometa is used to prevent damage to bones sometimes severe in patients prone to osteoporosis.
I would not rely only a yearly Bone Density scan to find (sometimes too late) that bone loss is so extensive that compression fractures, scoliosis are likely.
There are several bone resorption markers (such as urine or serum NTx & CTx tests) which can show the trend in bone condition every 6 to 8 weeks if that frequeny is required. (The Bone Density scan needs longer time intervals to show changes). Zometa can start decreasing the level of the resorption markers after one or two monthly infusions. So its efficacy can be quicly cheked .
Zometa, if infused on a monthly basis, may result in an other benefit: antiangionesis. Experiments on a small group of patients has demonstrated that a single shot of Zometa reduces by 34% the VEGF cancer growth factor measured 21 days after the infusion.
On a personal note I have observed in a elderly lady in my family that a 3 months treatment with Zometa alone (for osteoporosis) brought down CEA to the same low level achieved by Femara long after the latter was discontinued.
I cannot say it always happens this way but I hope it will in your case.
Long term trials (called ZO-FAST) are underway combining Femara & twice yealy Zometa.Interim reports have been published.
To put all chances of success on your side & reduce the risk of some of the pitfalls related to Zometa I would extend the infusion time to 30 minutes from the standard 15 (may help protect your kidneys & keep your creatinine marker steady).
Supplementing with CoQ10 may also help keep kidneys healthy although I have no clinical trial results to prove it in the case of Zometa induced kidney damage. But in other situations of kidney damage it has demonstrated beneficial effects.
However I would recommand you check with your onc before trying CoQ10.
Avoid any dental work &/or damage to gums while on Zometa to reduce the already low risk of serious avascular maxillary necrosis.
heblaj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:52 PM   #4
R.B.

Only my continual plea of have you considered diet as a treatment adjunct.

I zipped through your posts - kind generous of spirit, but I did not see any suggestion as to an interest in diet in the headlines.

So if you have not already lokked at it, check out the posts on omega threes and sixes, diet, and maybe look at some of the books suggested. Look at greens beans fibre whole food etc to try and get the digestion back on track which according to several books is a key factor.

If you search by clicking on search above on the purple bar there is lots on diet.

Diet can and does up and downgrade gene expression, including oncogenes, growth factors...... so it is really is possible it can make a difference and some writers argue it make a big difference.

If it does not it should help with general health.

As always you should discuss any significant dietary changes with your advisors.

RB
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote