HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-06-2006, 04:52 AM   #1
Susan2

Decreased reflexes due to Herceptin?

When dr did the reflex test (hit my knee with a hammer), there was no response. She checked several times without success. I had similar symptoms last visit, but not previously. I've been off Navelbine for 2 months and just on Herceptin. She felt it was a reaction to the medication, but has ordered a brain MRI next week just to be sure. Have anyone else experienced this with Herceptin?

Thanks.
Susan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 05:05 AM   #2
Barbara H.

I believe that taxol and Navalbine cause this.
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 06:13 AM   #3
Susan2

Thanks. Now, I won't worry so much about the MRI.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:00 AM   #4
Lani

decreased reflexes

are a sign of peripheral nerve damage--if damage were to the brain or spinal cord the reflexes would be increased.It takes a lot of pressing on the spinal cord in the neck or low back to get to the point where reflexes are increased,less so in the brain, but as the brain has little room to swell you it seems probable you would have symptoms(headache, etc) before you were found to have increased reflexes

Genentech lists a tiny percentage of cases of peripheral neuropathy in its side-effects warning with Herceptin, but, as it is almost always given with or after chemo it is very hard to know which the culprit really is. The percentage of chemo patients with peripheral neuropathy (obviously it is asymptomatic in your case as you did not complain of anything in your post, just were found to have decreased reflexes) is considerable.

Also, not every doctor is equally good at testing reflexes, so I would look for consistency in the results of what happens when they are tested on multiple occasions by more than one doctor, not just what happened on two occasions. In addition, a nervous patient can
suppress reflexes--next time, pat your head with your left hand and rub your stomach in a circle while the doctor tests your reflex and see if that doesn't make them suddenly appear! If they do not, a betting man would chalk it up to chemo rather than Herceptin, I think

Good luck!
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 03:14 PM   #5
Susan2

Thank you for your very informative post. You're right that I have no neuropathy in my feet. I've been seeing this dr. for more than 6 yrs. and this is the first time that she's had a problem getting my reflexes. I will certainly give her a laugh when I rub my stomach and pat my head.