HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-14-2006, 02:16 PM   #1
RhondaH

Thumbs up Veggies may keep bc from returning...ANOTHER plug for the Breast Cancer Diet:)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12302075/

Rhonda
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 05:35 PM   #2
Liz J.

Smile Thanks for the info.

Hi Rhonda,

Thanks for the link and also for responding to the juicer question. The recipe sounds good. I am like you about the beans, but know I need them and if they are all blended up probably don't know the difference.

Thanks again.

Hugs,

Liz J.
Liz J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 07:10 PM   #3
dogladybarks

If you want a proper diet that is tailored to YOU, not someone else, then do yourself a favor, as I did, and go to an holistic nutritionist. None of our needs are the same, so there's no "one-size fits all" breast cancer diet. Also, the most important thing that was left out in the above link is the term "organic." Organic veggies/foods will not have any pesticides, which is major important, as those with BC must keep their diet as clean as possible. When purchasing organic veggies in a supermarket, only buy those sealed in plastic containers, not those laying out in the open. The reason for this is that every food establishment must be sprayed for bugs. I've seen those who do the spraying, and they are not terribly careful when doing it, plus it's in the air, and settles on the veggies/fruit. I always wash the plastic container before opening.

I found when spending time with my nutritionist, that there were long-standing problems with my immune system. I had fungal infections in the past (you never totally get rid of it, and also shingles, which can be dormant, but can raise it's nasty head again) so I am on Candex daily (2 AM and 2PM) for another month, then will be on maintenance. Raw and cultured foods are very important also. My diet as well as the supplements I take are tailored to my needs, and I'm glad I went this route, rather than trying things that others eat/use.

Basically, I eat no processed foods, no meat, dairy, white bread or those containing yeast and definitely no tunafish, which is loaded with Mercury, and totally stay away from refined sugar. On occasion I can have Alaska Wild Salmon steak which I purchase at a health food store. Mainly my diet now is 80%raw and 20% cooked.

Sue
dogladybarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 04:21 AM   #4
RhondaH

Sue...

I also plan on seeing a holisitic practitioner prior to completing Herceptin as I want to "round out" my medical team. I agree that none of our needs are the same, but respectfully disagree that the Breast Cancer diet is a "one size fits all" diet, it is a practical guide to healthy nutrition. I also agree that the above article didn't mention organic, but that is not what they were targeting though Diana Dyer (Breast Cancer diet) DOES advise buying organic whenever possible which I buy 100% organic. I have seen studies showing the differences in the effects of organic rather than conventionally grown food. I also agree with the raw and WHOLE foods (convenience food is TOO processed and I question all the artificial preservatives and sweeteners...I would rather have a homemade raspberry/peach pie once in a while and KNOW what I put in it). I still take no supplements as my diet is SO well rounded and I eat ALL fruits and vegetables. I TOO eat no processed foods, though I DO eat meat once a week, BUT it is organic and free of hormones and antibiotics. I DO eat dairy as the vitamin D is important, but again, only organic due to the hormones and antibiotics and only 1 serving a day (1% milk). I only eat wheat bread and yes I do eat tunafish (the albacore is high in mercury, but not the light) and no I do not eat refined sugar and yes I TOO eat the wild salmon (I eat salmon or tuna twice a week to get the omega 3). I would have to say my diet also is very raw (have my 3 fruits a day, the phytochemical shake which has 3 fruits and veg a day as well as grains etc and a salad w/ dark leafy green veg, tomatoes, cruciferous, almonds and spices as well as steamed veg for dinner). I posted the diet as a GUIDE for people who would like to ADD to the treatment they get. Unfortunately, not everyone can afford organic food (thats why I'm glad someone posted a bit on the fruits and vegetables that you SHOULD buy organic when you can't afford to exclusively buy organic) and not everyone has the time to cook everything from scratch. I'm of the school, everything in moderation and every LITTLE change you can make is one more thing to your advantage.

Rhonda
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 12:11 PM   #5
Becky

Well said Rhonda.

Have a Happy Easter

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 01:38 PM   #6
tricia keegan

Thanks Rhonda,I am almost finished my treatments which have lasted almost a year and know I have to change my diet radically.I have the time to cook but am one of these people that hate vegetables.I do eat a lot of fruit though.I have never eaten veg or salad even as a child.I intend doing some research now that I have the time on supplements etc that may help.Maybe a juicer maybe a good idea for someone like me.I do eat tomatoes so I was glad to see I'm at least doing one thing right!
Tricia
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 02:40 PM   #7
R.B.

Diet is a bit like treatments ask different people and you will get different recommendations.

My suggestion is read and discuss widely and come to your own decision. I have often seen diets for me that miss the point. Some have their own quirks.

If you can afford a nutritionist great, but still do some background reading and come to your own decisions based on all information and questions.

I think it is important to attend to diet as a basic and supplements come second. A wide variety is essential.

There should be some books in your local library.

Three I found interesting are

Cracking the Metabolic Code - James B La Valle
Dr Gaynor's Cancer Prevention Program.
The Zone Inflamation diet (or something like that by the author of the zone).

I am concerned about pesticides but my view is first and foremost get a wide selection and plenty of green and coloured veg. IF you can afford organic so much the better but I for one generally find it too expensive, and locally lacking in variety for the quantities I consume.

I would put balancing the omega threes and sixes, and getting plently of veg and beans (fibre, flavanoids, the wealth of compunds in plants) WAY ABOVE pesticide concerns in the diet "to do" list.

I would rather NOT have harmful pesticides but would not reduce my veg intake for fear of them if I could not afford organic.

RB
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 02:50 PM   #8
tricia keegan

Thanks for the advice and recommendations.Looks like I have a lot of reading to catch up on.I DO buy organic though when I can.Thanks again,appreciate your response.

Tricia
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote