HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-12-2006, 09:49 AM   #1
emmasmom

Left Shoulder Discomfort

I guess I have begun the paranoia. I haven't even finished treatment and I have become paranoid at minor pains. Will this ever go away? I am having some minor discomfort in my left shoulder. The weird thing is that it feels like it is a bruise, without the bruise. It hurts when I touch it, but it doesn't feel like it is in my bone. It is on the same side as my lumpectomy and auxillary disection. Could it be related to that? I have taxol/herceptin tomorrow and was just going to talk to my doctor then. I searched bone mets on the site, but didn't see anything that related to me me. I was wondering if anyone could compare bone mets to this? Thanks!
Lisa
emmasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:14 AM   #2
tricia keegan

Lisa Have you had radiation recently? I was warned starting mine that I may have some discomfort or pain on the side of my surgery and did actually have a sore stiff shoulder but only for a couple of days
Tricia
PS..I'm not finished yet either and I know how easy it is to panic at each little ache or pain.I'm told it gets easier with time
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:19 AM   #3
emmasmom

Hi. Thanks for responding. I haven't started radiation yet (In about a month). I have heard the same thing. It is weird ... I don't have pain per say, but it is just really sore. I called my doc and left a message. I go in tomorrow for taxol/herceptin so I am sure they will just check me out then. Thank you. I hope your treatment is going well!

Lisa
Old 04-12-2006, 11:25 AM   #4
Cathya

Lisa;

The nerve endings that are cut during your operation take a very long time to heal (or whatever they do). I had my surgery in November 2004 and still have the same type of pain you are experiencing. I always fill my oncologist in on all my symptoms but so far so good....lol. I would talk to your about it but this is likely what it is. I would think that you have likely just had a number of scans and tests that would have shown any mets to this area.

Best regards,

Cathy
Cathya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:25 AM   #5
saleboat

Lisa-

I have a host of weird sensations, aches and pulled muscles on the side where I had my lumpectomy. They were alarming at first, but now I just try to think of how I've been using that side of my body and how it may have happened. It is HIGHLY unlikely that you'd have any sort of met while on chemo (did you have a bone scan before starting tx?). These chemo drugs are heavy duty and given your individual reaction to them, overall level of hydration and activity, all sorts of weird aches and pains can manifest, not to mention that the healing our bodies continue to do post-surgery.

I hope this puts your mind at ease.

Jen
saleboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:33 AM   #6
emmasmom

You guys are the best! Thank you!!! I just took a deep breath. I have been carrying a lot of stuff lately (I know I shouldn't), including my 2 1/2 year old daughter. It feels more like a pulled muscle than anything else! I hope this feeling will go away in time! THANKS!
Old 04-12-2006, 03:41 PM   #7
juanita

Where was your lumpectomy? Mine was about an inch and a half below the lymph node surgery. I've had problems with my shoulder since then (9-04) and when I talked to my surgeon about it he said they lift your arm way up over your head so they can do the lymph nodes easily. He gave me excercises to do and they have helped some, but not completely mobile there yet.
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 03:06 PM   #8
helenh

Smile

Lisa

When I read your post it was like 'dejavu'. I also find my shoulder blade area feels like a bruise but without a bruise. My mast. was Jan 05, (8 chemo no rads) found I couldn't sleep properly on that side for about 9 months.

Jan 06 mentioned shoulder pain to GP. who ordered CT scan which only found cysts in my liver. Its probably nerve endings still healing and just something I'll live with till they repair.

Best wishes

Helen
helenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 07:46 AM   #9
emmasmom

Thank you all for your posts. My shoulder feels so much better. A couple of hot baths seemed to do the trick. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!