HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-28-2006, 07:58 AM   #21
Unregistered

Thumbs up

Hi Girls, I have been on herceptin for three yrs. now. I took it with Taxol for 20 weeks from 2/03 till 7/03 weekly, from 8/03 loading dose every three weeks. My ono said if the see heart problems it's usually in the begining. My ejection fraction has has fluxuaited from 72% to 54%, I've had enough MUGA's to feel that it depends alot on the skills of the tech doing it. The ono's feeling is that it would be very unlikely that the heart function would improve while on herceptin. I don't take any supplements. My MUGA has at times showed improvement of 12% from one to the other, when I question him about this he said the accept a veriable of 15%. ????????? I have consulted a cardioglist and he said he would couple results with symptoms. This makes sense to me. I was first diognosed with bc in 3of97. Had mets to mediastim in 2001, liver and lung 2003. Thank GOD for HERCEPTIN........
Old 03-04-2006, 08:12 AM   #22
Gair

Low MUGA

My MUGA dropped to 45% after all the chemo and radiation so I was not eligible for Herceptin -- I was VERY disappointed as I am ER/PR- and HER/2 +++ .

18 months after finishing treatment they found lung mets, so I am back on Taxotere. My MUGA had gone up (ha!) to 51% so I had Herceptin. Unfortunately my heart went into tachychardia withte first drop of Herceptin (funny -- it went tachy when I got my port in too -- wonder if they're related?). Now my onc will not let me have Herceptin until I see a cardiologist. That wait time could be months.

I will always wonder if going on Herceptin would have stopped or delayed my mets.

Gair
Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 01:58 PM   #23
Unregistered

Try reading this and discussing with your advisor.

There is a significant section on cardiac and vascular health.

RB

Essential fatty acids in health and chronic disease1,2

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/70/3/560S
Old 03-26-2006, 12:02 PM   #24
Unregistered

I feel lucky that I have the doctors that I do because each treatment decision has been effectively coordinated to my benefit thus far. I was diagnosed in October 2005 and my muga showed an ugly 47% EF. I was immediately referred to a cardiologist who prescribed lisinopril (10mg) and I was then given an echo which showed 65%. From that point forward, I have been given echos only as both the cardiologist and oncologist feels they are more accurate. My treatment regimen was AC x 4 then taxol with herceptin x 12 (no dose dense probably because of my heart issues). After six taxol w/herceptin the echo showed 55%. The cardiologist then gave me a prescription for Toprol (I take half a pill every day with the lisinopril). I will be adding exercise to my daily routine and hope that this will help improve my heart condition. The cardiologist says the lisinopril (an ACE inhibitor) and the Toprol (a Beta Blocker) helps to protect the heart with these treatments. There is my two cents. I will post again as I have a year treatment with herceptin to go. God Bless.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:11 PM   #25
Cathya

My MUGA has been 48 (down from in the 60's) for 3-4 months.....I get tested every 6 weeks. I was worried about it until the tech doing the test this week said that during her training she was told that 55 is normal and it can go 10% either way...so being 48 wasn't critical by any means and I still have some more wiggle room. My onc told me that he wants to monitor me closely but said I wouldn't feel the impact of this score at this point....in other words still too high. I had been feeling really tired but decided that that was more mind that matter.....lol. I now take 120 mg. of CoQ10 each morning and evening, Omega 3 (fish oil), Vit A & D in cod liver oil, a multi-vit along with my Arimidex. I see the onc this coming week and am really curious to see if the score is up now. I don't do even walking but the weather is changing here so intend to begin in earnest. I am on herceptin indefinitely and intend to stay on it!!!!

Cathya
Cathya is offline   Reply With Quote