HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-22-2006, 09:51 AM   #1
cherylynnie

new to site

I am starting Herceptin next week. When I was originally diagnosed in Sept. 05 I was Her2-. But sometime in Nov 05 the FISH test was preformed, my oncologist said the FDA was requiring the FISH test. When I had an apt. with him in Dec 05 he informed me that I was HER2+. I was very confused about how one test could show neg and another positive. I had 4 cycles of A and C, then 4 cylces of Taxotere. I just had my last cycle last week. I am just taking a two week break before I start the Herceptin. I had dense dosing of the A&C, then slowed it down for the Taxotere after recieving the first dose as it made me very sick, I couldn't move 4 days after receiving it. So I received it every week in 1/3 doses. I thought I would have much to celebrate as I finshed the chemo, but with a year of Herceptin in front of me I couldn't get too excited.

I have Stage II breast cancer N-0. I had a skin saving mastectomy with immediate tram flap reconstruction. We knew that I had two tumors one was 2.3 and the other 1.0cm. When the tissue was examined they found a third that was .5cm. The breast surgeon tried to reassure me that I made the right decision going with the mastectomy. I lost about 12lbs. after surgery. Then in January once I started the Taxotere and the increase in steroids I gained it all back plus acouple of other pounds. My hair is starting to grow back now, but my finger nails which started thinning with the Taxotere are starting to fall off. Did anyone else lose their finger nails?

Once I was on the low doses of Taxotere I was able to function more normally. I have two children 11 and 14 and a loving husband of almost 17 years. My children have also been very supportive and loving. My mother came and took care of everything for about 4 months, which was wonderful. She probably stayed too long. But with the lower dose of chemo and the steroids I was able to get back to my normal routine pretty quickly. I just want my life back which I am sure all of you feel the same.

I have to wait for my symmentry surgery until I get some of this weight off. But I am hoping with spring coming and the blooming of the flowers I will be able to get outside and walk it off.

This site is wonderful and I am glad I found it.
4 AC, 4 Taxotere finished 3/15/06
Currently on Herceptin and Tamoxifen
cherylynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 12:28 PM   #2
TriciaK

Dear Cherylynnie, Welcome to the best support group online! I am sorry you have the reason you do to join us, but you will find a lot of support, love, wisdom and information here, as well as those who really do understand. You are blessed to be able to have herceptin as a stage II; many of us have had to start at stage IV. Herceptin is a miracle for us and the side effects are much milder than most chemos. Keep positive and expect the best. Chemo does weaken fingernails and many also lose their hair, but in the long run, you can handle it all in order to get and stay well. It sounds like you have a wonderful family support team, too, and that is a tremendous blessing. Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing. I'm sure you will hear from many others, too.Hugs, Tricia
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 03:40 PM   #3
chrislmelb

And after chemo Cheryl, you should find the Herceptin a breeze. All the best.

Christine
chrislmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 03:50 PM   #4
Mgarr

Welcome

I am sorry you have to be here but you will find wonderful support and great information. Our stories are very similiar (kids are 13 & 11). I was diagnosed 12/04 and had same dose dense chemo A/C then Taxol and also received 1/3 of dose weekly. Then Herceptin was approved for early stage and I began in April 05. I find it a breeze after the chemo and hope you will too.

Best of luck you are in my thoughts.

Mary
Mgarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 04:20 PM   #5
Jackie

Helllo

I am fairly new to this site. It is wonderful. I am also a Stage II with 1 lymph node positive. My tumor was 1.6 cm. I received A & C for 4 rounds and taxotere for 4 rounds. I had about every side effects there are with the taxotere. I did loose all my fingernails and some toe nails after I finished with chemo. I also took Herceptin during the Taxotere and cont. after taxotere. Herceptin is a breeze compared to the other. The nails will grow back, just slowly. Hope everything continues to go well for you.

Jackie
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 08:02 AM   #6
cherylynnie

Thanks for the welcome

Tricia, Christine, Mary, and Jackie,

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome. I am glad I found this site. It has a great deal of wonderful information.

I was reading some of the stories and shed many tears. But I have every intention of surviving and living a long time. I have a 14 and 11 year old as I said, and I plan on being here on this earth to see their lives unfold.

I hope a cure is found soon so none of us have to go through any of these horrible effects from the chemo and advanced cancer.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:35 AM   #7
DeborahNC

((Cheryl))

Welcome.

I stopped Taxol mid January and my nails are just now getting back to normal; lost some, all went thin. My eyebrows and eyelashes are back (Yay! I can almost use a curler on the lashes now), but my head hair isn't growing fast enough to please me.

I'm happy you found us and that you have solid support at home.
DeborahNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 09:12 AM   #8
cherylynnie

Deborah,

Thanks! My eyebrows and eyelashes one day, before my last 1/3 doses of taxotere, just sprouted out. Like they grew over night. My hair on my head is now growing also and at night when I go to bed my family all have to rub my head. They are all excited my hair is growing back, to say the least. But since my hair is growing back and I have to tape my wig in the back, it comes undone and is really annoying.

I start Herceptin this Tuesday. I will report what side effects I have. I hope I don't get the headaches. I haven't had hardly any since July 05 when I found my lump. Which started out being one, then a second tumor was found through MRI and then after my mastectomy they found a third.

I have been trying to stay positive for the most part. But I have my days. Am feeling alot better, but since the steroids were first decreased in the middle of my taxotere treatment and now finished, I don't seem to have as much energy or want to get things done like I did while on the steroids. But I definitely don't have the food cravings and am hoping to lose the weight I gained since starting the Taxotere in January. Weight that I had lost post surgery.

Everyone have a great weekend!

I am so glad I found this site!