HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-16-2006, 04:54 PM   #1
Chelee

My chemo changed?

I was curious if there is much difference in changing my chemo the way they just did it? I liked it the way it was. Which was as follows: First week was Herceptin, Taxotere, Carbpotin. Then the next week was JUST Herceptin...then the 3rd week was JUST Herceptin again...then back to all three drugs.

Now my oncologist said he would rather have me come in every three weeks and just do the Herceptin, Taxotere & Carbpotin. He said its easier that way. I don't care about easier...all I care about is what is better proven to beat off and fight the cancer.

I have Stage IIIA highly aggressive cancer...Her2/Neu 3 +++, Er & PR positive. Richardson scale 9 or 9.

I want the BEST chance at fighting this. Why would he change it all of a sudden? Is anyone else doing this schedule with these same drugs? Most I have read were doing it that way I USE to be doing it. Not every three weeks.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Maybe its normal...its just funny he would change all of a sudden. He orginally told me the other way is the best way with my kind of cancer...so why change now. I wasn't complaining about coming in weekly. In fact the week with JUST the Herceptin was easy compared to the week with Herceptin, Taxotere and Carbpotin.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 05:10 PM   #2
madubois63

I use to get Herceptin every week and the Carbo and Taxotere 3 weeks on and one week off...My onc has been pushing me to go the larger dose every three weeks. After not being able to get chemo because of my counts, I decided to go for it - FOR ME it was a HUGE mistake. I had to start taking Decadron the day before, the day of and the day after chemo. Drove me up a wall. Then the day of the big chemo, I passed out from the chemo. They had to give me extra Decadron, Demerol and oxygen. I spent nearly two weeks in bed sick as a dog and I picked up an nasty infection. This is the third week and I am still not myself...And now my hair is falling out again. So, IMO - smaller doses over a longer period are easier on us and work just as well if not better....
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver
BC mets to lung 11/07
Fasoladex Herceptin Zometa Xeloda
GVHD/Iron overload to liver
Avascular Necrosis/morphine pump 10/10
metastatic brain tumor
steriotactic radiosurgery
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 06:26 PM   #3
Sherryg683

What he is planning on doing is giving you a larger dose, every 3 weeks...instead of smaller doses every week. Right now, I am getting the weekly smaller doses of Herceptin. My Oncologist said there may be a time when I will be changed to the every 3 weeks treatment. I believe that is after he gets me cleared of my mets. I don't think what your doctor is doing is going to hurt the effectiveness of the Herceptin, it may make it harder for you as far as symptoms go. I have my Taxotere given every 3 weeks and it is rough on me because it is a large dose. I've heard others that have the smaller weekly doses of Taxotere say that it isn't as bad that way...sherryg683
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 08:56 PM   #4
Becky

The Herceptin can be given weekly (which is how you had it) or every three weeks (the way your doctor wants it to be). He probably started out with the weekly Herceptin just to see how you would do and is switching because it will be easier on you to just come in and get everything once every 3 weeks. Herceptin is equally effective given this way so don't worry about a thing. Both ways are equally as effective and aggressive. He is not changing the way you receive the chemotherapy drugs, just Herceptin.

I am glad you are tolerating your chemo.

Warm regards

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 05:35 AM   #5
lisahammo

I was under the impression that there had just been some research results released that showed that receiving chemo in small doses every week for 3 weeks, with one week off was the best course of action. Patients tolerated the side effects better, and the cancer also responded better. This is the way I have my treatment, and the Herceptin is also given the same way.

Has anybody else seen these results? We did have them on the news here in Aus.

Good luck.

Love Lisa
lisahammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 05:55 AM   #6
Johanna Johannsdottir

Hello,

I'm here in Iceland and doing Taxotere and Herceptin weekly. The plan is six weeks, the three weeks off (to get the bone-marrow good), and again another six weeks. I asked my onc. because I knew that Taxotere had been given every three weeks. He said that it has shown that a weekly treatment with smaller doses gives the same result as four times strong combo every three weeks. The side-effects are less and I did my fifth time yesterday and I'm here at my desk in work today. I have mets in bones and a very small one in liver what we are trying to shoot down with this, because the Navelbine I was getting from aug.-des last year didn't do the job. Yesterday I asked my doctor to minimize the cortizon and I got 4 mg in stead of 8 mg. It made my daily life much easier because I haven't had any side effects of the drugs but I'm way to high with the other shit. Couldn't sleep, talked people dead and had to clean, redecorate and paint the house. I think my husband is more relieived.
Johanna Johannsdottir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:44 AM   #7
Lee

This is how mine is done as well.

I have taxol/carboplatin/herceptin weekly for 3 weeks, and the 4th week is just herceptin. From what I can tell here, it seems to be much better tolerated that way. I had a consult at Mayo before starting chemo and this is the regimen they recommended as being most effective.

Once my chemo is over, though, I'll likely be getting herceptin every 3 wks as opposed to weekly because there aren't any studies showing a weekly dose is better.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:45 AM   #8
kristen

Hi Chelee,

I was on the BRICG006 trial and pulled the arm of TCH. I started out with having weekly Herceptin for 21 straight weeks and every 3 weeks they added the Carbo/ Taxotere. I had 6 tx's of that. Then they put me on the every 3 weeks for Herceptin for a year. It sounds like your onc. is following that regimen?

I have heard that some women it makes them sick to have the triple dose and they stay with going weekly or they can slow the drip down. I did stop taking the decadrom prior and after like MaryAnn, I couldn't stand it, it drove me nuts too. I was just wired. I don't know if there is a right or wrong way of getting this combo, but I haven't heard where one is better then the other. For me personally, I liked going in every 3 weeks, it freed up my time at the infusion suites. But that is up to you and how you feel and tolerate the regimen your onc. has you on. My best to you. I am 2.5 yrs out and NED. It worked for me.

MRM: 11/07/03
TX: TCH-BRICG Study-6 tx's; 12/15/03
Herceptin; til 12/14/04
Rads: 30 days
BRCA neg
S-Gap: 12/15/04
Oct 05: LAVH
NED
kristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 04:40 PM   #9
Sherryg683

I am going to ask my Oncologist about getting the Taxotere every week instead of every 3 weeks like I am doing. I have to go in every Friday anyway for my Herceptin. That 3 weeks dose of Taxotere has me feeling so bad for 3 to 4 days, it's emotional as well as physical. Hopefully, I don't have but a couple of treatments left...praying to God!..sherryg683
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 01:23 AM   #10
Chelee

Hi madubois63, Maybe my oncologist changed mine for pretty much the same reasons yours did yours. I too got sick and ended up in the hospital. But I kind of blamed it on him. I have that information sheet on Neulasta and it says you should have the Neulasta after EACH full chemo session. And my oncologist did NOT let me have any Neulasta until three weeks later. Which after my first chemo he told me my wbc was way down. (I wondered WHY then he didn't give me something to boast it then before I got sick?) But I am not a doctor...and I am so new to this so i did not question him.) Being he is so young and the newest guy there...I probably should have?

So then the second week with just herceptin it was still low...then the 3rd week after just the herceptin he calls me at home and says to NOT go anywhere or do anything. That my count was down to 116. (Great time to tell me now...I had just been out to Dennys for breakfast) Three weeks of my count being low and he waits to do anything about it. So then after the three weeks he tells me to come in for a shot of Neulasta finally. Which is the same week after my 3rd infusion of herceptin I was telling him I was having a hard time breathing for four days....which he ignored me and said to take a extra xanax like I was just having anxiety. (not) Well I ended up in the hospital with pnemonia for 10 days. So now I have missed a good three weeks of chemo.

So I believe that is what brought about this change. He said it makes no difference to come in and do the Herceptin, Taxotere, and Carbpotin every 3 weeks, verses the way I was doing it. I don't know why...but I feel like doing it the other way was better. Seems like your keeping on top of it better by having the weekly infusions of herceptin...especially when your fighting a stage IIIA cancer like mine. I really feel I would of been ok if he had given me the Neulasta sooner. (I could be wrong...but just the way I feel) But now I don't want to feel like I am being cut back on my chemo and letting my cancer win.

I see you were on oxygen also. So was I. I was on oxygen the entire time I was in the hospital. My oxygen level was down to 82 and it was suppose to be at least 94 at the minimum. You sound like you were pretty much like I was. I can feel for you. Its no fun. Its been 24 days since I was put in the hospital and I am just now feeling better. Took a long time to recover.

You mentioned the Decadron. That's what my ocologist wants to do now too since I landed in the hospital. He not only wants to change my schedule for infusions. He NOW wants me to take the Decadron the day before, day of, and two days AFTER infusion. Argh!!!! I HATE that stuff. So again...I can certainly relate to you all to well.

I sure hope your right about the smaller doses working just as well if not better. That is my main concern. I only have one shot at this and I want to give it my best try to beat this. I really feel if he hadn't let my wbc get so low...I would of been ok. He told me two weeks in a row my counts were low...if that was true...WHY did he wait so low to let me have the Neulasta??
This down time has been frustrating as I feel like I am not doing anything to fight my cancer. This should of never happened. Seems he should of paid more attention. (But maybe its just me....this has all been so stressful as you all might know.)
Old 03-18-2006, 01:37 AM   #11
Chelee

I know what you mean about that Taxotere Sherry. That is some nasty stuff. I know after my first infusion of the Taxotere, Herceptin, and Carbpotin...I felt dusted. I had lots of bone pain and hurt all over. I was misrable. I know I am dreading this coming Monday...thats when I start this all up again. I get all three again starting Monday. I have had a long break since my visit to the hospital...and was just now feeling pretty good. Now its back to the old grind.

Your tough if you can handle the Taxotere weekly? Every three weeks is bad enough for that. But it sounds like you are almost done with your treatments. Thank goodness.

You might be right about my oncologist. I never thought of him giving me larger doses of herceptin every three weeks. I will have to ask him if that is what he is doing. That would make sense...never crossed my mind. Thanks for pointing that out. I just want my best shot at this like anyone else does. I just know us Her2/Neu girls need are herceptin....so I didn't like the sudden change out of the blue. I understand he is concerned now after my hospital stay...but i really feel as i stated before it was due to him letting my counts get too low. He knew they were low after my first infusion...but waited three weeks to do anything about it. (I just told him at my last visit I am tired of him NOT listening to me!) I told him how I metioned to him four days in a row how I could NOT breath. Then he waits till I end up in the hospital. Obivious I couldn't breath because I was getting an infection....the pnemonia. Maybe next time he will pay attention to me!
Old 03-18-2006, 01:41 AM   #12
Chelee

Hi Lisa, That is the way I heard it too. Thats why I don't like my doctor changing my chemo the way he is now. I heard weekly was better too. My ocologist tried to convince me it doesn't change anything. Both ways are just the same. But at this point I am finding it hard to believe anything he says and thats not a good thing. I need to trust him. He had me doing it weekly...which makes me think that IS the better way.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:48 AM   #13
Chelee

Hi kristen, Wow...at least its nice to hear you are NED and already 2.5 years out. I really don't care how he does it....I just want to make sure he does it the best way for figthing my cancer. He was so sure about doing it weekly...now since I landed in the hospital...he changes everything. I just don't know what to think of it. I had orginally heard it was better to give the herceptin weekly...now he wants to do it every three weeks. As long as it works the same way fine....but I just don't know what to think at this point?

He wanted me doing it weekly no matter what...now this big change. I even asked if it was because I ended up in the hospital...and he said no...its just easier this way. (I am not buying it.)

But I will get to the bottom of it this week...I have a second opinion with other oncologist this coming week. We will see what they say? Thanks so much for your post.