HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-31-2006, 05:31 PM   #1
lisahammo

Thumbs up Herceptin Rally in Melbourne

Hi everyone

Just thought I would let the girls in Australia know how proactive my onc is being about getting Herceptin available for those with early breast cancer. She is organising a rally in Melbourne on 17th Feb to try to gain media & politcial attention. The hospital that I attend is also behind it, and hopefully we will have lots in attendance. As usual, she hasn't had much response from the Government about who will be attending, but at least if we get some media, it might be a help.

The Herald/Sun have been very good in highlighting the problem, however I was not impressed with Robyn Riley's article about how Herceptin was only available for those in 'late' stage disease, who were 'terminal' and 'had no hope'. I was absolutely outraged, and sent her a scathing email telling her exactly what I thought of her article, and that I was glad I had supportive family and friends who didn't make me feel like giving up. Since then her articles have been very carefully worded.

I really believe it is important to lend our support to try to make Herceptin available to everyone who is suitable for it.

Thanks, and good luck to all.

Love Lisa
lisahammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:48 PM   #2
AlaskaAngel

From Alaska

More power to you, hope there is a great turnout -- are the wildfires there calming down any?

A.A.
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 07:38 PM   #3
Lyn
A Living Legend

Thumbs up

Do some snooping around, I heard from a very reliable source that Herceptin was fast tracked into Australia for the benefit of MRS JOHN HOWARD, the wife of our fearlous leader, and what stage might she be, it, being her disease was kept ever so quiet, they said for privacy reasons, tongue in cheek. Hope you can get some mileage out of this. I have been on it for over 4 years, one of the first 30+ and there aren't too many left before me on that list of over 1600 now, it has saved my life because I was given a check out time of about 2-3 years tops, I had a very ugly agressive fast moving cancer in 98, as the surgeon put it so there you have it, the proof is in the living.

Love & Hugs Lyn
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:58 PM   #4
lisahammo

Alaska Angel & Lyn

Yes, the wildfires have settled down at last. You heard about that? We have had extremely hot weather, which doesn't sit too well with me these days. I have my own hot flushes to contend with!

Lyn, I did read your other post about Mrs Howard. Very interesting. I spoke to my onc about it, and she didn't know. She really is putting a lot of hard work into trying to get this passed, so fingers crossed.

Thanks for the support.

Love Lisa
Old 02-02-2006, 04:40 AM   #5
helenh

Smile Re: Herceptin Rally in Melbourne

Hi Lisa

I have only just become a member, although I have been reading with interest all the talk about Herceptin for some time. Could you please post details of the Melbourne Rally when available? Hopefully I can attend.

Helen
helenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 05:11 AM   #6
Joe
Webmaster

If there is anything that the HER2 Support Group could do to assist in this endeavor, let us know.

Regards
Joe
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 05:16 AM   #7
lisahammo

Helen

The rally is being held at the McLelland Gallery in McLelland Drive, Langwarrin on Friday, 17th February between 2-5pm. I realise it is not really accessible for a lot of people, however keep an eye out on the telly and in the papers. Hopefully it will get some coverage. How are you going, as a new member?

Lisa
Old 02-02-2006, 07:41 AM   #8
Lyn
A Living Legend

Cool

Hi Lisa, hopefully you can put in a word for the very private ladies out there that can't afford the Herceptin either. Not everyone wants their affairs plastered all over the media but the ones that have been seem to be getting the donations to fund their treatments without selling their houses. I have come across this a lot in my life time, you want to keep your own business in your own house, but then the downfall is you miss out.

Love & Hugs Lyn
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 03:08 AM   #9
helenh

Smile

Thanks Lisa for the info on the Rally.

Hopefully I can make it although I live the other side of town and have recently gone back to work (mornings only at this stage).

I was diagnosed 31 Dec 2004, 3 Ops later ending with a mastectomy left breast, I commenced chemo, 4 rounds A/C then 4 rounds Taxol, in Feb 2005. I have developed mild lymphedema in upper left arm and still have neuropathy from the Taxol. After finishing my chemo in July, I began a vaccine trial sponsored by GlaxoSmithKline Aust. My Oncologist is a researcher in this project, and I thought, at that time, the trial was the best I could do, due to the expense of Herceptin.

Now I am nearly 7 months out from my last chemo and I need to decide to either withdraw from the trial and then find the money to begin Herceptin treatment. Hopefully I can approach my health insurance co. for some assistance.

Kind regards Helen
helenh is offline   Reply With Quote