HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-19-2005, 07:42 PM   #21
michele u

Ok, first i want to say Al, why aren't there more men like you!!!! YOU COOK?? My husband does not even know what a pan is for. You are awesome!

Being from Nebraska, and German desent, we will have Oyster stew and Chili on Christams eve. I did not even imagine another Christmas with no recurrence. I really thought i would be a goner by now. God has other plans right now for me. I will be spending the Holidays with my 6 year daughter recovering from Tonsil surgery Dec 29. I'm still very nervous about it. I guess it's the nurse in me. I'm hoping for a healthier 2006 for her!!
michele u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 11:13 PM   #22
dee

Merry Christmas to ALL, we deserve to ENJOY

I am thinking this is going to be a GREAT Christmas after three that have been less than utterly wonderful (1st, found the freaking lump - kept it to myself till after the holidays; 2nd, I was in the middle of radiation, having just completed chemo on the heels of a mastectomy that I never endorsed or really recovered from, and, then, last year which was totally HORRENDOUS..). Last year at this time, I was dealing with Shingles, fallout from incredible stress which resulted from a string of events too numerous to recount (home robbery, etc); suffice it to say as recently as TODAY, I found myself reviewing my personal circumstances with my employer to evaluate whether a new strategy is warranted or not. Answer: NOT. I am at risk 24/7 from an ill family member that requires I work in an office AWAY from where I am "supposed" to be - a method for "hiding" me from my potential family member. While I get lonesome sometimes, I am safer this way... Thank goodness my employer can appreciate the risk, and take appropriate steps to safeguard me. By the way, my employer, the state of Washington, gets an A+ for dealing with me during the height of my illness! Much accommodation had by all to allow me the treatment I required. I just had the final 3 month check up cycle - I am on to every 6 months for a while, with no recurrence so far ( my oncologist and I agree it was probably the radical treatment, including Herceptin for a year in the adjuvant setting in the BBIRG 006 clinical study). Anywho, I'm still here, able to raise Cain (pun intended). As to my plans for this holiday, I will visit all the people who are important to me whom I have not seen in the last month. By that, I mean, I visited everyone else in the month of Novermber - I worked 5 full days at the office during that time. It will be short work month this December, too. I used to be a workaholic. Now, I am a solid believer on the topic of telecommuting (having done so much of it during my treatment). I knew this month I would have a rush in workload (deadlines in grant management), so, last month, I traveled to Cleveland/Oberlin, Ohio, and to Sacramento and San Diego for the Thansksgiving holiday. I spent almost three weeks with my new, 8-9 month old, granddaughter, Lucia Paz, who is now in Mexico traveling with her doting parents. She, her dad and I also visited her greatgrandparents last month, quite a feat when you consider so many of us were not expected to survive our individual health ordeals (including Lucia with her own crisis at 6 weeks old).... WE showed them - we are one tough bunch, that's for sure!!!
Our family had one sad event we all anticipated last month, the loss of a dear family friend who passed on from lung cancer at the age of 32. (GO figure...) She had nine months from diagnosis to death. We deeply mourn her loss. Her young husband is now at the center of our concerned attention; he is so vulnerable after having suffered the entire year. Please pray for Fred, and his deceased wife, Bene.
I am thinking of soaking in the hot tub with my middle kids ( a big no-no with lymphedema, but hey! It's CHRISTMAS!) and having a round of meals with all my friends. I will be toasting you all during the season as I join in the festivities with a few glasses to cherish the season with loved ones. YOU are part of my loved ones! Thank you, Al, for the great idea to share this thread, and to everyone who joined in with enthusiasm. WE BELONG to each other, now!

Merry Christmas, my dear friends,
dee
dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 11:13 AM   #23
Unregistered

I certainly welcome the holidays! Even though it is difficult with my sister, Carole, still in hospital after 4 months, we welcome the "normalcy" that this holiday will bring. I thank God for my two young children (4 and 9), who keep my mind off Carole's suffering.
We will have a sleigh ride Christmas Eve with neighbors, a dinner Christmas Night with husband's family and a Potluck 26th with my family..first at the hospital where sis is, from 3-5pm, and then at my brother's for the remainder of the evening.
We've just had confirmation that an ambulance will bring my sister home for the 25th, where she will have family time with husband and three children.
Happy Holidays to everyone and may 2006 bring you ALL good/stable health and much happiness!
Old 12-21-2005, 06:07 AM   #24
Shell

What a lovely idea, Al!

We will stay local for Christmas, with my husband's mom just down from Long island staying with us, and with my family mostly nearby. With an 8 year old and a 10 year old, we are still baking Christmas cookies and putting together gift baskets. I do most of the decorating, as my husband does not enjoy the season as much, and this year I added lights to two more trees outside, each in our daughter's favorite color and theme (horses for the older, and Harry Potter for the younger...)

We take off to go skiing between Christmas and New Year, and fervently wish and pray that the New Year brings hope, health and happiness to all.

Merry Christmas,

Shell
Shell is offline   Reply With Quote