HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-19-2005, 05:56 AM   #1
suzan w

Question first herceptin treatment

My first herceptin treatment is next week. I am going to go every 3 weeks. I am interested in finding out how many of us here are "early stage", node neg. etc. and are getting herceptin. How was the first treatment ("loading"dose)? Have also been reading alot about side effects...Thanks for all info!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 08:14 AM   #2
Sheila

Susan

I have been on Herceptin for 2 years, every 3 weeks. My only side effects seem to be splitting nails, runny nose, I bleed easily after a cut, & occasional fatigue....I got achey flu symptoms after my loading dose...lasted 24 hours...that was it.
Hopefully you won't have any problems, most people tolerate it very well. If you are concerned, they can give you benedryl before, & take tylenol after. The loading dose takes about 3 hours....
Hugs
Sheila
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 09:24 AM   #3
Susan

Cool iv?

Hi:

I will start herceptin every 3 weeks next month........I wanted my picc line out after chemo, so they removed it. My oncolgist wanted me to keep it, but I talked him into having it done by IV's. HOw is eveyone else receiving it?
Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 10:46 AM   #4
Cindi

My loading dose of Herceptin was no big deal. I had no side effects. I do have a runny nose. I keep some tissues close at hand and tell everyone I just "hate these darned allergies".

God Bless,
Cindi
Cindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 10:58 AM   #5
SandyBB

so far so good

I just started "preventative" herceptin last Friday. I felt fine all through the infusion, but did run a temp and felt flu-ish later that night, but I woke up Saturday feeling fine.
I did not have a port for my chemo - but my veins are now pretty bad (and I only have one arm to choice from as I have active lymphedema in the other). And since I will be going 1x a week, they put in a port. I hate having it, but it did make the transfusion super easy!
SandyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 10:59 AM   #6
SandyBB

I meant infusion

not transfusion - message above!
SandyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 12:59 PM   #7
Sheila

Susan
I get mine IV every 3 weeks, & hey can only use my right arm since I had a left mastectomy.....never had a problem, they use my hand every time...its painless, or my nurses are really good.
Hugs
Sheila
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 01:14 PM   #8
lia

hi i started herceptin today for my node negative bc. So far so good, i had piriton and 2 paracetomol (I m in the uk ) before the infusion and feel fine at the moment.Next one in 3 weeks time I feel very lucky to be getting the drug through my husbands work private health insurance.
lia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 05:30 PM   #9
dskdrive

Smile herceptin

I am stage 2, node negative. I got my loading dose in Sept. I had an allegeric reaction that included chills and shaking. I felt very cold and could not get warm. The nurse gave me benedryl and tylenol. I improved in about 5 or 10 minutes. I have since had 2 more doses with no reaction. Good luck
dskdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 06:45 PM   #10
al from Canada

My wife has a port....can't beat it & this seems the way to go if you have any choices. She has been on herceptin x 3 weeks and has the runny nose thing but other than that...evrything seems good.

Al
Old 10-19-2005, 08:32 PM   #11
athena453

I had my loading dose about a month ago. I'm stage 3C, 30/34 nodes, 27 years old. I get herceptin once a week, and chemo every three weeks. I had mild flu-like symptoms with the loading dose. Now, I seem more tired the day after and have a constantly runny nose. I do not take benadryl with it anymore, and will not take tylenol next time either.
athena453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 09:56 PM   #12
jsattaw

Smile

I had my first loading dose last Thursday and did not have any side effects. I was more tired -- but hard to know if I can attribute that to the drug or everyday life, insomnia, hot flashes, etc.!

I'm node negative -- recurrence after 7 years and do not have a port.

Good luck -- I'm sure you'll do great!

Jill
Old 10-20-2005, 05:25 AM   #13
Deborah Phaed

I will be starting preventative chemo (6 rounds) and Herceptin (1 year every 3 wks) on Nov. 4 after my MUGA for Stage 1, Neg. node BC. Since my veins are hard to stick I'll have a port placement before starting. If it hadn't been for my Her +++ status my onc said she would have just done hormone therapy.

I'm grateful to hear of the mild side effects.
Deborah Phaed is offline   Reply With Quote