HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-13-2005, 06:04 AM   #1
Deborah Phaed

Chemo & Flu Vaccine

I've been reading info on chemo and most of it states that a patient should refrain from live vaccines during treatment. Now with the bird flu scare and just the plain old flu season what is everyone doing? Has anyone's onc either rec'd or not rec'd a flu shot? If you've had a flu shot and are on chemo have you experienced a reaction?

I don't start chemo until 11/4 and will be calling my onc today about getting a flu shot beforehand. Cancer is complicating our lives enough without having to fight the flu as well.

Sorry for all the questions, but there is such a wealth of personal experience here it's hard not to ask.

Best to all!
Deborah Phaed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 06:15 AM   #2
Patty H

My Dr. gives me a flu shot every year and I am on chemo at the time. I have never had any reaction from the shots. I haven't had mine yet this year but I will. I get it from my oncology Dr. while I am there for treatment. Patty H
Patty H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 06:17 AM   #3
Unregistered

I was recommended by onc to get one last year when I was doing chemo. My workplace offered some for high priority cases, and I fell into that category because of the chemo. I had no side effects or reaction to the shot at all.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:33 AM   #4
Lolly

Same here, I just started chemo again, and since my clinic isn't sure when their vaccine supply will arrive or how much they'll get, my onc gave me the go-ahead to get my flu vaccine asap from one of the clinics being offered by local grocerie/pharmacy stores. I've had flu vaccines in the past while on chemo and never had an adverse reaction. Just a sore arm!

<3,
Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 12:38 PM   #5
Sheila

Same here...you have less chance from having a problem from the flu vaccine than complications while your counts are down if you don't get one & do get the flu.
Hugs
Sheila
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 12:42 PM   #6
sarah

yes to flu shot

yes, here in France the oncologists advised getting a flu shot during chemo since your immune system is low.
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 12:46 PM   #7
StephN

Talking Better not to get the flu

Right, Sheila, that is just what my med onc said. That even though the vaccine does not cover ALL the flu viruses out there, it covers the newly mutated ones that would be new to our bodies and give us the most trouble.

With low counts, we have to do all we can to prevent getting colds and flu, as this can cause us to skip our treatments and the treatments are measured out to be taken at certain intervals for maximum effectiveness. (So I was told.)

My clinic did not have their supply as of last week, but my nurse case manager will call when they have it. Even though my counts are back to normal my doc still would like me to get the shot. They never really bother me either.

P.S. I am NOT even thinking about the bird flu - that is just scary! We will all become hermits if we let that get to us.

Last edited by StephN; 10-13-2005 at 12:48 PM..
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 02:35 PM   #8
Helen

I also asked my oncologist last week if I can have a flu shot and he said it should be okay. I am currently having chemo treatments too.

Helen
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 03:20 PM   #9
Sheila

Steph
They did not have the vaccine yet in Chicago Monday....I will get it as soon as they get it in.....the give it to every patient undergoing treatment.
Hugs
Sheila
Old 10-14-2005, 10:16 PM   #10
Lisa

I've been told that for the past few years, the flu shot is no longer a "live" vaccine, so there are fewer reactions. Better shot than flu, I say.

Love and light,

Lisa
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 06:08 AM   #11
Deborah Phaed

Thank you all! I'm trying to find a place that even has the vaccine. So far, I've only found a Kmart clinic that will be open for a few hours Nov. 12. My GP office said their shipment was delayed and the staff are all looking for places to get their own shot.
Deborah Phaed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 03:28 AM   #12
Sheila

Deborah

Call your oncologist for the flu shot...they should be able to give you one...here in IL. cancer patients in treatment are first in line for the shots...
Hugs
Sheila
Old 10-16-2005, 03:35 PM   #13
doh2pa
Deceased

Hi Deborah,

Started my second round of chemo this week and my onc recommended that I get the flu vaccine before I started. I got it about 8 days before my first treatment and everything seemed fine. Good luck.

Donna
doh2pa is offline   Reply With Quote