HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-29-2005, 04:27 PM   #1
Celina

Hi Everyone,
I'm thrilled to report that my sister has been accepted into the trail at Dana-Farber. At this particular phase and study, ALL patients receive the drug. (Joe, if you managed to make that phone call, we thank you so much!)
The doctor told her that this has shown much promise for brain mets and that the hope is that it will halt the spread of cancer on her brain. He also said that for some patients, tumors have shrunk.
She must stop the Herceptin for the trial, but given that this drug is said to have some of the same effects as Herceptin, we are not terribly worried. Besides, they will be doing frequent scans of the entire body to keep a watch. As Dr. Burnstein said to her...we have to concentrate on the brain right now..it's obviously the biggest area of concern.
She will return on Wednesday for two days of tests...go back a week following for the drugs and hopefully do most of the follow up in her home city of Ottawa. Thankfully the Ontario Health Insurance will cover the cost of all tests and scans....Institute covers the costs of drugs.
I pray that this works for her, and if it does work I think it would provide SOME peace of mind to all those who fear the dreaded brain met.
Bye for now,
Celina
Old 06-29-2005, 09:42 PM   #2
StephN

Celina -
This is FABULOUS news!
Could not be MORE happy for your sister. Prayers do get answered (as Lola so often says).
You have to give yourself a big pat on the back, as your work has pulled this possibility through for your sister.

And so great that she can get the durgs in Ottawa. I know the rep at GSK who will be in charge of Lapatinib and will give him this news.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 05:19 AM   #3
pattyz

Celina,
I echo Steph's words: FABULOUS NEWS....just wonderful to hear!!!

hugs all around xoxoxoxo
patty
Old 06-30-2005, 06:19 AM   #4
joy

Way to go Celina, what a gift you are to your sister and to all of us. this is very exciting news!
Love, joy
Old 06-30-2005, 05:47 PM   #5
Christine

Celina,

It goes without saying that all of our prayers will be with your sister. She is extremely fortunate to have you.

Please keep us posted of her progress and be sure to say hello from the HER2 Support Group.

Well wishes,

Joe
Old 06-30-2005, 08:59 PM   #6
Lolly

Celina, I'm THRILLED for your sister and you and family!!! I will keep her in my prayers, and you too.

<3,
Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 05:28 PM   #7
Celina

Thank you to all you "well wishers".
We know that there is no guarantee that it will work, but we are encouraged by some of the results thus far.
Carole has three children: 10, 15 & 18; a husband and our parents who need hope as well. We are fortunate to have another sister, a 14 year BC survivor who has been incredibly supportive and helpful to Carole as well...Carole often says how blessed she is...but we are blessed to have witnessed her courage and determination.
Keep up the hope everyone....the drugs are getting "bigger and better".
Old 07-07-2005, 02:20 PM   #8
Sherry

Hi Celina
This is Sherry and I am also at Dana Farber on the drug. They won't let me do any of my scans at home except the MUGA scan. You can e-mail me at home so we can share stories. Jafarness@aol.com