HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-03-2005, 10:40 AM   #1
mslinda

Hi Everyone:

I have been a member for a few months, and read all of your posts daily. I just want to say that you are a bunch of brave ladies. I hope that I can be as brave as most of you.

I was diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma December 30, 2004. I had a lumpectomy January 5, 2005. The tumor was approximately 1/4", so it was in beginning state. I am state I, Her2Neu 3+, E/P-. 4 Lymph nodes removed showing no cancer. About 6 weeks after surgery, my lymph node removel side was still open, and the breast started splitting open and one end of the scar. So that issue had to be cleared up before I started chemo. Finally, the lymph node incision closed, still dealing with the breast area. I have had 3 chemo treatments (CAF). with 3 more to go. Then 6 weeks of radiation. My question is: On my lumpectomy breast (left), the opposite side of the incision, an area of about 1/4 of the breast has turned red, and on the outer edge the skin feels thick and orange peel texture. After researching different kinds of breast cancer, I came across Inflammatory Breast Cancer. I have only two of the symptons listed above.
I contacted my onc., and she told me not to worry about it, that it wasn't the IBC. Has anyone out there been through this? My first inclination is to insist on a biopsy and that is the only way this type of cancer can be diagnosed, according to the things I have read.

Thanks

Mslinda
Old 05-03-2005, 10:47 AM   #2
Merridith

MSLinda:

I share your concern.

But since your lumpectomy was so recent, perhaps you could ask them to recheck that tissue. I would phone the pathologist directly who examined your tissue (his name should be on your biopsy report) and tell him your concerns and ask him to recheck.

I would also immediately book an appointment with your oncologist so that she can visually examine this "orange peel" skin that you are discribing. I understand that inflamatory breast cancer moves VERY fast and it is urgent that you deal with it quickly.

I have never heard of a breast "splitting" the way you describe... but I'm also not an expert.

Best of luck,
Merridith
Old 05-03-2005, 06:12 PM   #3
Sandy H.

I was diagnosed with IBC March 2001. You need to get this checked out ASAP. You can be dealing with skin mets which come in different forms. You can look them up on the internet. Also all IBC'er are stage 111b unless they have mets to bone or organ. You can now have IBC as a new primary. If I can help feel free to e-mail me or call me. My e-mail is sanhenry@prexar.com and phone is 207-634-4921. Hugs, Sandy