HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-05-2005, 02:14 PM   #1
sally

Does anyone know if flax seed oil interferes with herceptin, and does it matter which form you take it in? Sally
Old 04-05-2005, 05:08 PM   #2
al from canada

Dear Sally,
My wife Linda regularily takes flax seed oil. It has a proven track record in Cancer-fighting potential. It has a balance of Omega 3,6 and 9 EFA. In the past, much of it's cancer fighting ability has been atributed to the Omega 3 and its anti-estrogen activity. Recent research has shown that Omega 9 (oleic acid) may be even mor important. Olive oil does the same thing. I've attache a short summary and a link on oleic acid.

"Friday April 13 06:39 PM EDT Study: Common Seed Fights Cancer A recent Canadian study shows that a common seed may be a promising new cancer fighter, researchers say. Dr. Paul Gross of Princess Margaret Hospital and a team of researchers from the University of Toronto asked a group of newly diagnosed breast cancer patients to eat two tablespoons of ground flaxseed in a muffin each day. Then, Gross' research team analyzed samples of their tumors. The study found that flax actually slowed the growth of breast cancer. "The scientific community is very interested in this study," Gross said. "We've been bombarded by other investigators from around the world." Researchers found that in less than a month, the women taking flaxseed slowed their rate of tumor growth by up to 33 percent. There also was nearly a 60-percent drop in the spread of the most aggressive cancer cells. "Flaxseed is the first nutritional product that has been studied, and that has produced hard scientific evidence," Gross said. According to the study, researchers believe that a fiber in the seed helps to sweep the hormone estrogen out of the body, which blocks its ability to make tumors grow. Flax would be the first cancer treatment that isn't a chemical, researchers said. However, since flax is a food, it doesn't have the backing of a drug company. Researchers said that they don't know how much longer they would be able to continue their work. Some cancer support groups believe that the data shouldn't be ignored. "There is a community out there who are hungry for this kind of information, and it won't bother them that it's not a pharmaceutical," Sue Wright of the Willow Breast Cancer Support Center. "In fact, it might even encourage them"

The link addresses the anti-HER2/neu action of oleic acis:
http://www.nutraingredients.com/news/news-...leic-acid-kills

This last article discusses the pro-herceptin effects of oleic acis:
http://www.cancercompass.com/cancer-news/1,8788,00.htm

Regards,
Al
Old 04-05-2005, 07:34 PM   #3
*_KathySC_*

I have read that combining it with a sulfur product like cottage cheese is the best strategy. This comes from the Budwig theory which I have read and am still scratching my head as to why.
Kathy
Old 04-05-2005, 11:00 PM   #4
al from canada

Dear Sally,
This link will take you to an earlier discussion on the topic:
http://www.her2support.org/forums/in...howtopic=20737
Kathy,
I have read about the cottage cheese connection as well. Onions are high in sulpur, I wonder if they will work?
Al
Old 04-06-2005, 07:14 PM   #5
Rozebud

I think the only concern is if you are ER/PR+. I've heard that flax seed and soy act like estrogen in the body, and you should only have them in moderation if you are hormone positive.
Rozebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 09:14 PM   #6
al from canada

Hey Rose,

You make a good point HOWEVER, the phytoestrogens in flax seed come from the LIGNANS which are only found in the husks. The oil doesnot contain husks, which are insoluble. (quote below)

"In terms of potential health benefits, it is better to consume whole Flax Seeds or Flax Seed oil. Flax Seeds are the better choice. Generally speaking, Flax Seed oil, unlike plain flax Seed, does not contain lignans-plant estrogens."

That being said, the theory behind B.C. prevention and lignans is summarized below:

"Breast cancer prevention

A number of animal studies have provided evidence that Flax Seed consumption may inhibit the development of breast cancer (1). A substantial body of responsible research suggests that plant estrogens- Soya and Flax Seeds- reduces the risk of breast cancer. How do they do it? No one knows for sure, but researchers generally subscribe to one consistent theory: the biochemical structure of the plant estrogens is similar to those of the estrogens produced by the women’s body. Plant estrogens, however, are much weaker than the cancer- implicated estrogen estradiols and estrone. Despite their weakness, plant estrogens appear to travel through the bloodstream to estrogen- receptor sites in breast and sexual organs. When they reach these receptor sites, they seem to latch on and take up residence. While they appear to have beneficial estrogenic effects- diminishing menopausal symptoms and positively affecting menstruation- they do not seem to exert harmful carcinogenic effects. As long as plant estrogens reside in the estrogen- receptor sites, there doesn’t appear to be room for the cancer- implicated estrogens and wreak havoc."

The jury's still out on a lot of this stuff. If phyto-estrogens displace real estrogen in the receptors, what is their action? I've also read a theory where phyto-estrogens actually modify the metabolic pathway of estrogen bypassing the step to "bad estrogen".

Here's food for thought; a recent telephone discussion I had with Jeff (from our board). The theory exists that chemo attacks fast dividing cells and that adding antioxidents, tamoxifen or arimidex, you are forcing the cancer cells to behave therefore; the chemo will not recognize the cancer cells because they are now dividing slowly as normal cells do. So...taking arimidex with chemo will fool the chemo into thinking that the cancer cells are now normal. If we took that argument to the extreme.....what if we gave the patient estrogen, get the cancer cells to really start dividing, would that make them an obvious target for the chemo to recognize??? We could use the same argument with antioxidents; and some poeple do just that.

Personally, I take the mid-line approach. Use Oleic acid or IP6 with chemo, let the 2 supplements soften-up and weaken the cancer cells so the chemo can make the first blow the death blow. There is tons of research to support this. I also believe that moderation is paramount as many studies have also shown that more isn't always better. When combining two chemicals you are looking for a synergistic action where the sum of the parts is greater than the whole: ie, 1+1=5.

Food for thought, (a pun?)

Al
Old 04-07-2005, 06:22 AM   #7
*_jeff_*

Al, as always, pushes the discussion along!!

I've seen at least a few researchers suggest that at some point in the treatment for for er+ breast cancer it might become strategically important to add estrogen back in to a woman's chemistry, for just the reason's Al has outlined...

Jeff
Old 04-07-2005, 01:13 PM   #8
*_KathySC_*

I am Er/PR negative, postmenopausal and use estriol "bio-identical estrogen" that is the weaker estrogen for hot flases. When I take too much flax seeds, I see an increase in hot flashes. This does not happen with the oil. Logically thinking, the flax seeds are actually counter acting the effects of the estrogen cream that I am using. I would see this in a positive light.
Kathy
Old 04-07-2005, 09:22 PM   #9
Rozebud

I'm always learning new things from you! So what's the consensus? Avoid, moderate, or take more of :) ? Oil or seeds or both? I could read both into your post....
Rozebud is offline   Reply With Quote