HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-23-2004, 09:04 AM   #1
Rozebud

Well, after 3 months of tamoxifen, my periods have not stopped, so my onc wants me to switch to something more aggressive. I discussed AI's with my onc and she said first we have to get you menopausal, and then we can do tamox. for a couple years and switch to AIs later. So she wants me to start on zoladex shots next week. I assume they are similar to lupron shots? For those that have had them, I have a few questions:

* How often do you get them (monthly or every 3 months)?

* Do they hurt? (just want to know what to expect!)

* Were you on Tamox, AI's or nothing else at the time? (I've read the preliminary info. about tamox and her2 being contraindicated, but she doesn't think the evidence is strong enough in young women to warrant taking me off.)

* Did you use any other form of birth control, or was this your sole form of birth control?

* What side effects did you have and how did you manage them?

* Any other advice (I was told calcium supplements of 1000mg/day and lots more exercise)?

TIA!!

Rose

Dx'd 1/04 at 33, while 33 weeks pregnant (baby devliered at 35 weeks and is now >100% in weight %)!

Dx: Stage IIIC IDC, ER-, PR+ (23%), Her2=2.7, 2.5cm primary tumor, grade III, 11/18+ nodes (largest 3.8 cm)

Treatment: A/C *4, T *4, 1 year of herceptin, mastectomy, rads (7 weeks), tamoxifen and zoladex (5 years)

~*~VISIT OUR FAMILY!~*~
Rozebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 08:20 PM   #2

Zoladex shots are always aimed on the stomach, that is the only difference from Lupron shots. Nurses usually ice the injection area, before adminstering Zoladex shots.

I get my Zoladex shot every month. Not too bad, just like any typical needle.

Not much of side effects, just common ones for menopause: slower metabolism, weaken bone density, insomnia, hot flashes, mood swings.

Never used BC.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:23 AM   #3
Kristen

Rosbud,
Aren't you the lucky one. Now you will know how it feels. Those lovely hot flashes and night sweats. It's something. My advice, wear layered clothing. When my hot flashes hit, sometimes they are so bad I just want to take it all off, but can't so have something on that will cool me off in this lovely weather we have here in KC.
You'll freeze everyone out in the car if it hits, the kids love it? Carry a hand held fan or something to cool yourself off with. I didn't take anything, I just went thru it and still am. Good luck and the stomach shots don't sound real appealing.
Make sure they do a DEX test. They are really easy, you just lay there with your clothes on and do one once a year at approximately the same time. I had a small amount of bone loss and she wants me to take 1500 mg of Ca citrate and 500mg of Vit D. I went to the health food store and it would cost me an arm and a leg to buy a bottle and would be taking like 6 pills, that'a a lot of bottles. Next time I see my internist, I am going to see if there is a prescription that would have that kind of dosage so I can possibly run it thru insurance. The other advice she gave me is to walk 5-6 times a day for 30 minutes to reduce bone loss. Hope this helps. Take Care, K
Old 11-24-2004, 11:21 AM   #4
Rozebud

Thanks K. I have internet access in IA but no e-mail. I tried to PM you but can't figure out where to "insert" the message? All I could do is put in the title and then it won't send it. It's a shame - PMing is great when e-mail isn't working. I read your e-mail before I left yesterday but didn't have time to respond. Chris was trying to get out of KC. Good thing, I think, as I heard there is 7" of snow???

Anyway, how does a DEX test work? Do I ask Dr. D for them? Which particular brands of drugs - they have a generic for citrical? Would that be helpful?

I can't remember the other stuff in your e-mail right now. Probably because we didn't get in and asleep until 1:30, and the baby was up bright and early. I am worn out! more later! Hope I can figure out the personal messaging....
Rozebud is offline   Reply With Quote