HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-20-2004, 12:57 AM   #1
michele u

Does anyone know why they are using carboplatin in trial with taxol and herceptin? What i've read about it, is that it's used for lung and ovarian cancer? If there a new study out that it's helping for breast cancer?
Old 07-20-2004, 01:01 AM   #2
lauren

It's what they are trying to determine now...in early stage patients. I assume it has been proven successful in mets patients already.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:12 AM   #3
Kristen

When I was DX, I was so green and tried to do research, that when I met with my onc, she just told me this would be the best combo if I got on it. I really never questioned her. Now I question alot. Sorry I don't why that is. Kristen
Old 07-20-2004, 02:02 AM   #4
Kitty

It is very successful in treating mets. Cisplatin was used with Herceptin in the original clinical trials for Herceptin. Cisplatin and Carboplatin are similar platinum based chemos, but Carboplatin is easier on your system. It is proven that Carboplatin is VERY synergistic with Herceptin. Personally, I had 32 weekly treatments of taxol/carboplatin/herceptin for liver mets. I am NED and found it very easy to tolerate - much easier than the prior treatment of ACT every 3 weeks for 6 months. Makes sense to see if it works just as good (or better) than ACT/H in early stage breast cancer.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:28 AM   #5
michele u

I understand why they are trying it with stage 4 gals, but why try it adjuvant when there is no mets to liver etc.? I was not given the option to choose between ACT then herceptin, versus new study with carbo/herceptin/taxol. And in this study do you every get the AC?
Old 07-20-2004, 11:15 AM   #6
lauren

My understanding was that 25 percent of the patients get AC plus a taxane (don't know which) and 25 percent get the carbo combo. I don't know what the other fifty percent get. And I am happy to stand corrected if I am wrong about that.

I don't think you should worry about carbo and why you didn't get it. If you should ever need it, it will be available for you. Let's hope that doesn't happen. Until then, it seems as if AC plus a taxane IS in fact the gold standard, and even moreso with herceptin.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:52 PM   #7
Kristen

michele u, No I never had AC/ THe trial was set up for AC Standard of care they called it. One arm was AC/taxol/Herceptin the last 4 rx and then Carbo, Taxotere, Herceptin. I just got that arm of the study. I didn't really care about the chemo drugs, I just wanted the Herceptin.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:33 AM   #8
michele u

I agree with just being happy getting the herceptin. That is why i didn't do dose dense chemo with no herceptin and went with a trial. I wish i could have gotten the arm with taxol and herceptin together, because it sounds like herceptin works better with something else, but i'm happy to get it at all!!