HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-17-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
Sandra Kocher

invasive ductal carcinoma

Hi my name is Sandy..Just been diagnosed invasive ductal carcinoma,grade 2,er- pr-her2+, tumor 3cm....Will have a lumpectomy Dec. 12th...then radiation, then they say Herceptin..Hope everything goes as planned. During surgery, things can change..I'm so scared out of my mind, feel like throwing up all the time.Did say it was early stages..It made me feel a little better when I read some of your stories. I'm 64, and have no insurance for the drug part! Any suggestions?
Sandra Kocher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:52 AM   #2
hestko76

Re: invasive ductal carcinoma

Welcome, Sandra. You will find a wealth of info here at this site. I too had IDC, but grade 3. You will most likely have chem/herceptin before radiation. It is amazing how much progress has been made with breast cancer treatment. You'll be fine. I am a year through the process..... my last herceptin will be December 10th. I'm 60 years young and had no trouble with side effects. Sorry, I have no info on places to help with the cost of meds, but those organizations are out there......
Stay calm, and remember to breathe deeply,
Helen
Lumpectomy 11-18-11
Er- Pr- Her2+++
0/5 nodes - no positive lymph nodes
Port installed 1-6-12
6 Rounds TCH
Rad. 33 tx
Last herceptin 12-10-12
Port removed 1-3-13
hestko76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:36 AM   #3
conomyself

Hi Sandy,

I'm so sorry you are having this happen to you. It's such an incredible shock, and yes, I agree, very scary. I'm glad you caught it early. It seems that for most people, myself included, the scariness becomes less with time.

As far as the cost for the Herceptin, most cancer centers have a social worker who may be able to help you with options. Also, Genentech, the manufacturer, has a website for assisting people with this:

http://www.genentech-access.com/herceptin/patients

I don't know if this applies to your situation, but Herceptin and chemo drugs are sometimes not handled like other prescription drugs you get from a pharmacy. For example, my prescription drugs require a copay, but my chemo/Herceptin, benadryl, etc., which are administered in the chemo room have no copay.

You're strong, you can do this!! We'll be here for you!! (((Hugs)))
ER+/PR+/HER2+ amplification 4.8 (whatever that means)
8/13/2012 Brain MRI (clear); bone scan verified CT scan
8/14/12 started Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin, 2 rounds (added Neulasta after 9/4 treatment)
9/4/12 CA 15-3: >3000
9/15/12 CA 15-3: 840
9/15/12 started Taxotere/Perjeta/Herceptin, 4 rounds (no Neulasta)
10/29/12 CT scan showed dramatic improvement in all areas - largest liver met 2.5 cm, largest lung met 10 cm
12/17/12 Started Perjeta/Herceptin, 2 rounds
12/17/12 CA 15-3: 17 Yay!!!
1/21/13 CT scan showed improvement - largest liver met 1.9 cm, largest lung met 2 mm
1/29/13 CA 15-3: 12 Started Herceptin only
3/12/13 CA 15-3: still 12 yay!! Back to Perjeta/Herceptin
3/29/13 CT scan more improvement - largest liver met 1.2 cm, some lung mets disappeared!
3/7/14 started Tamoxifen
6/27/13 - 1/2015 CT scan stable
Began a diet of only single ingredient foods and went nearly NED excepts for some tiny lung spots - ask me if you want to know more...
1/2015 - 1/2017 CT scan stable
conomyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:59 AM   #4
sarah

Hello Sandra,
Do you have a friend or family member who can check out the payment situation for you? It's best not to deal with that yourself since it's upsetting enough dealing with the treatment.
The social worker at the hospital should have some ideas. Also if you doctor can put down metatastic on a report you will be able to get your social security early (I assume you didn't apply at 62) and then apply for medicare. What city and state are you in? Some states have more healthcare help than others.
Your doctor's nurse may be able to check out some things also.
But get someone to make the phone calls and check on things for you or you'll feel too overwhelmed.
Herceptin is a miracle drug. Healthwise you'll be fine.
hugs and love
Sarah
Old 11-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
Sandra Kocher

Thank you Helen for your response, it sure does help, knowing other women out there going through the same..We all have to pray for each other...I will try and stay calm and take some deep breaths!
Sandra
Old 11-18-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
Sandra Kocher

Thank you Sarah, I do have a family members trying to help...This is all so new to me and to them...What a SHOCK !!!!!!
I live in Grants Pass, Or...I see you quite far away....I still don't know what to say yet, it's hard to think at the moment. I took my s.s. at 62, and was waiting for medicare when I turn 65, which will be next Aug. 19th..
Hugs and love back to you
Sandy
Old 11-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
Sandra Kocher

Thank you for the reply....all kinds of information helps..I see you just joined this site yourself. We all have to pray for each other...Thanks for web site. Sounds like you have a full plate yourself, but thank God your scan showed dramatic improvement in all areas.
Hugs right back at you, Sandy