HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #21
vlcarr

Re: What now - lower back, hip & shoulder pain

Thanks everyone. Hayley, just wanted to mention I won't be taking AI's. My onc said in my case I would not benefit from them.

I wanted to update everyone that I had an appt today with the lymphedema therapist I had worked with radiation. I told her about all the aches and pain I was having, the pneumonia, thrush, hand, foot and mouth, etc, etc and on and on.

I told her my shoulders hurt so bad there is no way I can do many of the lymphedema exercises since I have to hold my arms above my head.

She did a thorough exam and told me to not even worry about those right now. My right arm is 1 to 2 cm (depending on where she measured) bigger than my left. However, she did tell me to wear my sleeve every day regardless of whether I'm exercising or not.

She is going to start "body work" as she calls it on Thursday. She is going to be doing the myofascial (sp?) therapy on my whole body. She said I was so, so tight all over. I'm also going to be doing some work in the pool.

I'm looking forward to this and hoping this helps. I know when they did that after my mastectomy it helped me so, so much.

If any of you suffering from pain can get this I encourage you to do so. It's a very, very gentle type of touch.

That's just a short summary of what we discussed but wanted to give an update. I want to get off these pills........
Grade 3
Sentinel Node Biopsy-speck present in 1 node
Completed 3 month clinical trial of weekly Herceptin and 1000mg Tykerb daily
Tumor no longer present
Right mastectomy and lymph node removal 09/25/09
No cancer present at time of surgery, none in lymph nodes
Start TCH 10/15, every 3 weeks for 4 months followed by radiation
Finished chemo 01/28/10-YEAH!
Herceptin every 3 wks until end of June
Radiation begins 03/01, 6 1/2 weeks
Radiation complete--Yeah!!
Developed lymphedema after radiation
In hospital for 4 days with pneumonia:(
Herceptin done! 06/24/10
Port Removed 07/08/10
Still in PT for lymphedema and mobility issues
DIEP Reconstruction 05/11
I can be changed by what happens to me, but I refuse to be reduced by it~~Maya Angelou
vlcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:51 AM   #22
vlcarr

Thank you all so much for your posts.

Chelee, I'm going to print that information and take it to my doctor next time I go which will be 06/24-the day of my last herceptin.

I also wanted to give you guys an update. I spoke to the nurse this week and she said they "suspect" I may have had Legionairre's (sp) disease. I must say that was a new one for me!!

I had to get a refill on the yeast medicine because the thrush seemed to be hanging around. It's better now.

I had my first visit with my lymp/physical therapist on Thursday. She did "body work" as she calls it on my hips, legs, feet, scar line, etc. using the myofascial techniques. They were never able to work directly on my scar line before because I had the problems with it not healing. It looks so much better now.

Some of it felt good and some of it didn't but I knew that meant things needed to be loosened up. I felt better yesterday than I've felt in 2 weeks. I'm still dealing with the arms and shoulder issues but have new exercises that I can do. I'm just not able right now to hold my arms above my head for very long at all.

On Tuesday I will be in the heated pool. I've been walking each day and trying to either go a little faster or a little longer. I can tell my lungs are still not that great but getting better.

I got knocked down but I'm coming back up with the gloves on. I feels so good to have a plan of action.

Love you all,
Vicky
Grade 3
Tumor no longer present
Herceptin done! 06/24/10
Port Removed 07/08/10
I can be changed by what happens to me, but I refuse to be reduced by it~~Maya Angelou
Old 05-15-2010, 11:28 AM   #23
caya

Hi Vicky,

Glad to hear you are feeling better. I have fibromyalgia, and the pain from that compounded with the aches and pains compliments of Femara have made me pretty miserable. I find that exercising in a warm pool really helps. Also taking a hot bath with Epsom salts or Dead Sea Salts is nice too.

Legionaire's Disease? Oy!! What next for us Her2+ gals (and guys)?... It's always something...

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:28 PM   #24
Catherine

Hi Vicky,

I am wondering if you are maybe feeling better by now. The last post I saw was about 10 days ago. Just wanted to share that I think it took a good 2 years after my treatment to start feeling "normal." Then my normal was a new normal, no 0-60mph for me anymore either. It was more like 0-40mph. Now 4 years after treatment, I have almost accepted the new slower me. I am creaky when I first get up after sitting for an extended time. I get wierd body aches, but can usually work them out with stretching and walking. I really have to pace myself. I sometimes long to be the "old me", but then I remember how happy I am to be well and done with treatment. And knock on wood....NED. Hoping you get better soon. Take the best care of you that you can. Let someone else cook and clean....you take it easy and pamper yourself.

Hugs, Catherine

Found my own lump in the shower
April 2006 at the age of 58
Stage IIB, ER- PR- HER2+++ multi focal tumors, largest 2.3cm
Chemo first: AC/Taxol over 16 weeks
Bilateral mastectomy Sep 06
33 rads after the surgery
1 year of Herceptin completed Dec 07
15 years and no recurrence as of April 2021
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:32 PM   #25
BonnieR

Vicky, I had a simplistic thought. (Sometimes they are good to have!). You have been in bed and inactive for various reasons for awhile now. I know that I recently was in the hospital and then recovering at home. Sometimes my back aches terribly just from laying around. I could scream. No position is comfortable. So that may be contributing to your symptoms.
Keep the faith.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:45 PM   #26
COOK12151

HI,
My name is Margie. I was dx in May 09, syahe 1, er pr negative, and her2 positive. What was your tumor size?
COOK12151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:30 AM   #27
vlcarr

Margie,

My tumor size is in my signature line along with the "rest of the story".

Just wanted to let everyone know that some things are better and some are not.......I'm still working with Mary Kay (therapist). We've gotten to be pretty close through all this and share a lot of personal information during my sessions. She's the best.

My leg & hip pain is better. On Friday I did a few of my exercises that require my hands be over my head. The very next day my arms and shoulders hurt so bad I could barely get my bra on. They even get cramps in them. I will discuss this with her at my session tomorrow. I have a pool session tomorrow.

My new thing is to wear my fake boob every day. Because my remaining breast is so heavy she said I was starting to lean a little to that side so that could be impacting my shoulders as well.

So, I've been wearing the darn thing even though I'm at home. I never wore a bra at home before cancer and I sure hate wearing one now, especially with the fake boob......Now that I'm doing that I've noticed swelling in my trunk as well.

I hate cancer. I wish I didn't have the other breast--at least I would be balanced. It's not that I have HUGE breasts it's just they are heavy ones........

Been a little down over all this but will keep on plugging along and keep the faith. More adjusting to my new normal.

I will finish herceptin on 06/24. I still seem to have no energy but have been walking every day. I try and go further and a little faster each time. It's been so terribly hot here. I can tell I'm still not fully recovered from the pneumonia.

Trying to be patient.....not my virtue but this cancer is bound and determined to beat me into submission.

Thank you all for your comments.

Much love,
Vicky
Grade 3
Tumor no longer present
Herceptin done! 06/24/10
Port Removed 07/08/10