HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #1
phurst

Advice

My wife had a bi-laterl and 15 lymph nodes removed.Because of the amount of radiation & being very lean she can only have Latissimus Dorsi Trans flap(I hope i spelled this correctly).Any advice pro or con.
phurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:22 PM   #2
whatz

Re: Advice

A doctor friend of mine advised against the procedure unless it was done by a plastic surgeon that was doing this procedure on a regular basis and had plenty of success stories under his/her belt. The simpler route surgically was the implant (hence I opted for that one since it was possible for me). Make sure your doctor has plenty of experience.
6/09 Adriamycin + Cytoxan 4 treatments (every 3 weeks) followed by Taxol + Herceptin, 1 treatment weekly for 12 weeks, followed by Herceptin for 40 weeks
MRI Brain 4/10 clear
CT Body 4/10 clear
PET Body 2/11 clear
whatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
caya

As I understand it, it is not a good idea to have implants after radiation - the failure rate is high.

Def. go with a plastic sugeon with many successes with the lat. dorsi. - And see if they need to add an implant as well. They often do have to add a small implant, which may make it difficult because of your wife's radiation.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
phurst

I forgot to add that they will have to use a muscle from her back.The plastic surgeon at Duke said she did not have enough fat so he would have to use the muscle.
phurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:53 PM   #5
Laurel

It is standard with a latissimus dorsi flap to use the latissimus dorsi muscle[IMG]file:///C:/Users/AnnaMae/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]. It is released and brought around to the chest area. Usually an implant is needed to form the breast. Here is an excellent link that provides easy to understand information with photos, etc.

http://www.breastreconstruction.ca/living_latflap.htm

I echo the others advice to find an experienced plastic surgeon to consult.

All the best.

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:17 PM   #6
Cannon

Caya, can you expand (oops - hee hee) on this?

I was advised not to have reconstruction at time of surgery, so there would be no interference with radiation, but that I could always do reconstruction later (which I have not, but consider).

Did you mean that the radiation fails, or that the implants fail? please let me know. Thanks
Taxol+Herceptin weekly x12, continuing with Herceptin, finished one year in 12/07
33 Rads
Femara for 5+ years, staying on (started with Arimidex, switched after about a month, much happier)
Abnormal brain MRI shows no cancer, but "extensive white matter diease" - unknown cause
BRCA negative - lots of cancer in my family
survivor of thyroid cancer
also have Crohn's disease
CT and bone scan say NED as of 5/13
dx with severe cardiomyopathy 5/12 (likely due to chemo and Herceptin), ejection fraction in low 20's, now up to 40, went to 50, latest read 12/13 is back down to 35
1/13 Acute pancreatitis - are you kidding me?
9/13 started Humira for Crohn's. starting to have some energy again
B12 and Vit D both needed supplementation
Cataracts in both eyes noted 6/12 - surgery in the next 2-4 years?
4/14 Kidney stones/blockage/infection - related to Crohn's Disease
5/14 My aunt passed away - she was diagnosed after I was with Stage I - not Her2+, then Stage 4 for about one year
6/14 Scans - still NED, thank God. However, broken rib (I didn't notice) lots of bone degeneration osteopenia/osteoporosis. I also still have cardiomyopathy secondary to chemo.
Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:23 PM   #7
caya

Cannon - it's the implants that fail, not the radiation. I have a friend who had an implant after radiation and it was one big mess. She finally had to have the implant taken out and uses a prosthesis now.

I am not an expert, but this is what the plastic surgeon(s) I saw told me when I went for consultations. I did not have radiation, so they told me I was a good candidate for implants, and the lat. dorsi (with an implant).

I have decided not to do any reconstruction, at least for now. I just don't want to look for trouble, another big surgery, possible pain etc. I never say never, but at this time, over 3 years out, it's a no for me.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:29 PM   #8
Ruth

I presented with the same problems...too lean at the time and lots of radiation however I was able to have successful implants so it can be done sometimes. My PS told me that he feels my success was partly due to my never smoking and my skin was still elastic and very healthy even with all the radiation. It does have a high fail rate when the expanders are filled too fast it seems. It is an easier surgery (outpatient) and heal time is quicker. If it failed then I would have considered the flap. It's been almost 5 years and my foob is still doing ok.
Good luck!
Ruth

Diagnosed 6/03 nursing daughter
Dose dense A/C 4x
Modified rad mast 8/03
IDC; 3 cm; 10+/16 nodes; ER/PR-; Her2+++
Weekly taxol w/Herceptin (off label) 12x's
40 weeks Herceptin
Radiation 33x
Reconstruction w/ implants 05 & 07
NED
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:18 AM   #9
harrie

I had the DIEP flap reconstruction (muscle sparing) which is relatively similar to the TRAM flap, plus had small implants put in. I am also small and lean and had radiation to both breasts about 6 yrs prior to my mastectomy/reconst. I had an excellent plastic surgeon who did a magnificent job. Am very happy with the results. The radiation made it more difficult, but with a very good plastic surgeon, was very successful.

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:47 AM   #10
Cannon

Caya, thanks for clarifying. I am also 3 years out from surgery and not ready to do anything about reconstruction. Due to my multiple Crohn's surgery, they cannot use abdominal muscle. I think I would go implants, but the filling part sounds awful, and the replacing them the rest of my life sounds appalling.
Rebecca aka
Taxol+Herceptin weekly x12, continuing with Herceptin, finished one year in 12/07
33 Rads
Femara for 5+ years, staying on (started with Arimidex, switched after about a month, much happier)
Abnormal brain MRI shows no cancer, but "extensive white matter diease" - unknown cause
dx with severe cardiomyopathy 5/12 (likely due to chemo and Herceptin), ejection fraction in low 20's, now up to 40, went to 50, latest read 12/13 is back down to 35
5/14 My aunt passed away - she was diagnosed after I was with Stage I - not Her2+, then Stage 4 for about one year
6/14 Scans - still NED, thank God. However, broken rib (I didn't notice) lots of bone degeneration osteopenia/osteoporosis. I also still have cardiomyopathy secondary to chemo.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:57 AM   #11
Becky

Rebecca

Even though you have had abdominal surgery (so tram is out of the question), Diep is not. Just an fyi since if you do consider reconstruction in the future, you should keep all possibilities in mind and then go through the pros and cons of each - then choose.

http://www.breastreconstruction.org/index.htm

This is a good site that explains all methods and even gives questions to ask a doctor when having a consulting visit.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:19 AM   #12
Cannon

Becky,

Thanks, I guess that is true in general, but I was told that nothing could be taken from my abdomen because scar tissue interrupts the blood supply. This was a Park Avenue NYC plastic surgeon, and I'm confident that if he thought he could, we would have said so. Things may have changed, I consulted before my mast., which (yay) was a while ago.

Rebecca aka Cannon
33 Rads
Old 02-21-2010, 05:38 PM   #13
Westcoastgirl

I was very disappointed to find out I needed radiation as I wanted reconstruction and am also too lean to find enough tissue to create two mounds, at least that is what I tell myself....to tell the truth I do not want my body cut anymore than I have already. My plastic surgeon is older and experienced. He talked to my surgeon before the double mastectomy so he would leave as much skin as possible for reconstruction, in the hope that I could go directly to implant without expanders. I questioned my ps extensively about implants after radiation and he agreed that the procedure holds more risk for contracture but that he personally has had success with implants after radiation. It is the easiest of the procedures and I will give it a shot when I am ready to venture there. He told me I had enough skin for a B cup but I figure if I go smaller, A cup, I will be even more successful, at least that is my hope. I think finding an experienced ps is the best way to ensure that you will have a good result no matter which procedure you choose.
1/15/09 double mastectomy/skin sparing; no evidence of vascular/lymphatic invasion, 8neg/8 nodes (tumor 8.0mm)
2/16/09 given portacath/removed 4/30/10
2/18/09 "surprise" 2.0mm tumor/positive borders~
completed 28 rads 10/09.
2/23/09 until 4/19/10~treatments every 3wks (4 Cytoxan + Adriamycin, 4 Taxol + Herceptin, 13 Herceptin alone)
8/09 osteoporosis diagnosis/Zometa 3 yrs of 1x/6 months
Chemo side effects; Deafness, kidney function loss
11/09 began Aromatase Inhibitor (Femara)/Feb2014, stopped Femara early/after 3 mos began Tamoxifen for 8 mos to complete 5 years
11/10 Reconstruction, directly to silicone implants
12/11 nipples by skin graft/Right breast size reduced

I have heard th
ere are troubles of more than one kind

Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have trouble with me!
Dr. Seuss
Westcoastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:16 PM   #14
LoriE

I had a lat flap recon 3 years ago. The recon looks pretty good. Much better than I envisioned! The surgery did leave two things I don't like, though - the scars on my back are not pretty and the scar tissue is quite uncomfortable on the sides. I have not been able to wear a bra. That has been a big disappointment. I am having surgery in a few weeks to replace one implant with a different size (things heal and change) and remove some of the scar tissue that is causing the irritation. Then I'm starting physical therapy to try to break down the scar tissue.
If I could have a "do-over" I would have sought another opinion. I had one side fail and ended up with an expander. I had been told an expander wouldn't work for me. Ends up, it did.
Whatever your decision, I wish you the best.

Diagnosed 07/05, Stage 1
Extensive DCIS, .5 mm invasive
Mast
No nodes.
10/05 4 A/C & 1 yr of Herceptin
06 Proph Mast
Lat Flap Recon - failed on one side, replaced w/expander
NED
HER + 3, ER-, PR-
LoriE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #15
Margerie

breastrecontruction.org has a great lat flap section that explains the procedure very well

http://breastreconstruction.org/Type...orsi_flap.html

I know one survivor that had the procedure done by my reconstructive surgeon and she is very happy with her result.

In my humble opinion, these kind of surgeries require a microsurgeon/reconstructive surgeon as opposed to a doc who is just trained in plastic surgery.

Dx 10/05 IDC, multi-focal, triple +, 5 nodes+
MRM, 4 DD A/C, 12 weekly taxol + herceptin
rads concurrent with taxol/herceptin
finished herceptin 01/08
ooph, Arimidex, bilateral DIEP reconstruction
NED
Univ. of WA, Seattle vaccine trial '07
Margerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:26 AM   #16
Jaimieh

I was told lat. flap was my only option after implants failed but I got a second opinion at the Center for Restorative Breast http://www.breastcenter.com/ and they were able to use my upper hip area and get enough fat. I am beyond pleased with how things turned out. I had been expander prior to this and I had more issues/pain with the expanders than I have had with this surgery. I do have a scar acrossed my back (below my panty line) that is a think line and it is pink now. I just had this procedure on January 26, 2010 (so it's still new). My new breast feel wonderful and I am a good C which the surgeons who I spoke with up her told me that I might be able to get 2 small A's.

Good luck and if you have any questions I would be happy to help you.
no angiolympathic invasion

Bi-Lat. Mast. 1/8/09
Exchange scheduled for 6/17/09
Lost implants due to unknown reason :(

Hip Flap 1/26/2010 in NOLA :) LOVE EM'

TCH x6 (6 done and I am hoping to never do it again )

Well so much for never...
Local recurrence May 25,2014 is left over breast tissue.
April 2 , 2014 lumpectomy
April 28, 2014- June 9, 2014 start AC x 4
Taxol x12
Perjeta x 6
Herceptin x 18
And 33 rads just for fun. NOT!!!
Jaimieh is offline   Reply With Quote