HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-06-2009, 05:03 PM   #1
DianneS

Should I do one more Herceptin?

My doc says not doing #17 treatment doesn't matter. I have done all previous 16 herceptins and never missed one since I began them November 2008.

It's a hassle for me to get to the place where I have them. An all day journey.

I am tired of feeling fatigued and achy. And watery eyes and irritable bowels.

There is no scientific proof that 16 is the magic number. There is no proof that this stuff is even working in my body.

What say you, my sisters? It's Tuesday and I have to decide by Thursday morning......arrgghhh.....

Dianne
8/9 Richardson/Bloom test
ER+ weakly positive
Alred Score: 4 (suggesting I would strongly benefit from hormone therapy)
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Surgery: Sept. 9, 2008 -Modified radical mastectomy, right breast. I chose to have a simple mastectomy on the left. Began Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin November, 2008. Finished T/C March 2009. Finished #16 Herceptin Sept. 09. AI's and Tamoxifen made me sick. Began natural Tamoxifen which is Quercetin, I3C and a combo of other supplements. I am also a DES Daughter. There is now a link between DES exposure in utero and breast cancer!
DianneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:47 PM   #2
DianneS

Re: Should I do one more Herceptin?

Dang. Thirteen views and no replies. I was hoping to hear from some of you.

I noticed that vlcarr, who just had a mastectomy, says that she will only have 3 months of Herceptin? Did I read that wrong?

Dianne
ER+ weakly positive
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Surgery: Sept. 9, 2008 -Modified radical mastectomy, right breast. I chose to have a simple mastectomy on the left. Began Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin November, 2008. Finished T/C March 2009. Finished #16 Herceptin Sept. 09. AI's and Tamoxifen made me sick. Began natural Tamoxifen which is Quercetin, I3C and a combo of other supplements. I am also a DES Daughter. There is now a link between DES exposure in utero and breast cancer!
Old 10-06-2009, 08:04 PM   #3
alicem

Dianne,

If I were in your shoes, I would go for #17. But that is easy for me to say because I really am not noticing any of the side effects you mention. I do feel that Herceptin is saving my life, and as long as insurance is paying for it, and my doctor recommends it, I want every single drop they can pump in. I don't want there to be anything that I can second guess myself on in the years to come.

Hope this helps!

Alice
10/15/08 - Hysterectomy & Oophorectomy, Lumpectomy: Cyst on uterus, not ovary - all was benign. Breast - 5 of 6 bad margins. 2 Sentinel Lymph nodes removed, both negative. Stage 0, Tis, N0
12/11/08 - Mastectomy & DIEP reconstruction: Surprise! 2 cm Invasive DC, grade 2 found. One benign internal mammary lymph node. Stage 1, T1c, N0, all clean margins. ER+ (Proportion Score = 2/5, Intensity Score = 2/3) and PR+(Proportion Score = 3/5, Intensity Score = 2/3)
HER2 score = 3+
1/09/09 - Oncotype DX: Recurrence S/core of 60 !?!?! ER status is NEG!! PR staus is NEG! HER2 score = 12.2 (still positive, greater than 11.5 is positive).
1/20/09 - Started chemo: TCH
5/26/09 - FINISHED CHEMO!
1/05/10 - FINISHED HERCEPTIN!
1/22/10 - Port-a-catheter removed!
3/07/18 - Still NED
9/10/23 - Still NED
alicem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:35 PM   #4
vlcarr

Hey Dianne

Just saw this so sorry I have not replied sooner. I will be having a total of 18 months of Herceptin. I had it weekly during my clinical trial, will start TCH on 10/15 for 4 months and will still do herceptin every 3 weeks for a year after that.

Since I'm so new to this cancer thing I don't feel I can make a recommendation but wanted to make sure you knew I would be doing herceptin for a while.
Grade 3
Sentinel Node Biopsy-speck present in 1 node
Completed 3 month clinical trial of weekly Herceptin and 1000mg Tykerb daily
Tumor no longer present
Right mastectomy and lymph node removal 09/25/09
No cancer present at time of surgery, none in lymph nodes
Start TCH 10/15, every 3 weeks for 4 months followed by radiation
Finished chemo 01/28/10-YEAH!
Herceptin every 3 wks until end of June
Radiation begins 03/01, 6 1/2 weeks
Radiation complete--Yeah!!
Developed lymphedema after radiation
In hospital for 4 days with pneumonia:(
Herceptin done! 06/24/10
Port Removed 07/08/10
Still in PT for lymphedema and mobility issues
DIEP Reconstruction 05/11
I can be changed by what happens to me, but I refuse to be reduced by it~~Maya Angelou
vlcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:52 PM   #5
Laurel

Dianne,

I felt the way you are feeling with my last taxol/Herceptin and again with my final Herceptin. I was so close to being finished I just did not want to "do" the whole infusion thing even one more time! I think you have what the military calls "short timers syndrome" where your time left on your tour is very short. You just do not want to be there anymore. It hits you pretty hard and takes all your reserves to make yourself toe up to that line one last time. I can tell you that last infusion feels great when they pull the needle out for the final time!!!!

I suppose from the above you know I am going to recommend you toe up one more time, the final time!

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:30 PM   #6
rl2

all the studies are 52 weeks, 17 would put you at 51. So in reality you need one more week (not the 3 dosages). I noticed that after I got my last one (which was 18, I think), Blue Cross would only pay for one dose (though I think they gave me 3).

I would do it and then go out and celebrate. Or go home and take a much deserved bubble bath and nap.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:54 AM   #7
Colleens_Husband

Dianne:

Do you use seatbelts in your car? They are an inconvenience but there is a one in a ten thousand chance that they will save your life. I think of Herceptin that way. Is there much difference in protection between 16 and 17 doses? How about 17 doses versus 18? Nobody really knows and if they did, would that difference apply to you? Herceptin is such a new drug that I don't think there has been a minimum dosing study versus chance of recurrence. Anyways, to me, HER2 cancer is pretty darn aggressive beast and it you should consider taking every precaution at your disposal.

Lee

Lee

Diagnosed in September 2007
ER-/PR-/HER2 Neu+++ 2.1 cm x .9 cm spicluted tumor with three fingers, Stage 2B
Sentinal node biopsy and lymph node removal with 3/18 positive in October 2007
4 TAC infusions
lumpectomy March 2008, bad margins
Re-excision on June 3rd, 2008 with clean margins
Fitted for compression sleeve July 16, 2008
Started the first of two TCH infusions August 14, 2008
Done with chemo and now a member of the blue dot club 9/17/08
Starting radiation October 1, 2008
life is still on hold
Colleens_Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:46 AM   #8
Jackie07

If it's only going to take 1-3 more weeks, I'll say go for it. It will be so much easier for you to say later that you've had a whole year's worth of treatment than have to explain (to yourself mostly) why you stopped short.

On the other hand, I assume that the sooner you stop this treatment, the sooner you will start your treatment for the hormone-sensitive portion. So there might be some advantage to it.

Either way, it is your call. And whatever decision you make is going to be the best decision for you.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:30 AM   #9
Becky

Since you've come this far, I would finish the protocol completely.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:41 AM   #10
DianneS

Thank you all for your replies. I opted to not do the last one AT THIS TIME. I have one more dose as I was getting a dose every 3 weeks. I am tired and need a break. You would not believe what I have to go thru to even get to the hospital from where I live on the wild B.C. coast.

I figure a week or two of missing herceptin won't matter that much. The experts don't seem to know one way or the other. If I had a cold or flu I'd have to miss an infusion, right?....hasn't anyone here had to miss a dose or two for those reasons? I really only made up my mind last night, but I have the option of getting the last dose anytime. Figured I would wait until I see the doctor Oct. 19 to see whether or not he will put me on hormone therapy. I am weakly ER positive so again, it'll probably be my call. Uggghhh I hate these decisions. Thank you again for taking time to give your opinions. I value them all. I will probably do #17, just have to retrench a bit. And grumble some more.
Dianne
ER+ weakly positive
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Old 10-08-2009, 01:57 PM   #11
swimangel72

I skipped my last dose of Herceptin...........my insurance company said they wouldn't pay (some kind of paperwork/date mix-up because I switched oncologists half-way through). I just didn't have the strength to fight the insurance company - and my oncologist said the last dose wouldn't really make a big difference. I received Herceptin every two weeks for a year. I was so happy he said I could be finished......and have no regrets at all. But I took the big guns to my small Stage 1 Grade 1 cancer by getting a mastectomy, so that gave me more confidence skipping the last Herceptin - plus the fact that I didn't have positive nodes. So Dianne don't worry yourself too much...........I think if your body is exhausted and telling you to take a break, you should listen.
IDC Stage 1, Grade 1
ER+ 90% /PR+ 90% /Her2++++, BRAC1 & 2 neg
3/5/08 - mast with muscle-sparing free tram;
0/7 nodes clear; Stage 1 lymphedema in right arm
3/11/08 - MRSA infection in abdomen causes large hernia
4/11/08 - Oncotype DX score 22 (intermediate)
4/12/08 - Muga score 67%
4/23/08 - Chemo, Navelbine and Herceptin every 2 weeks
8/20/08 - Last Navelbine infusion! Yay!
1/22/09 - First mammo since dx - unaffected breast CLEAR!
1/30/09 - Second Muga score 63%
swimangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:29 PM   #12
StephN

The main problem with missing a dose, for whatever reason, is that you then need a new LOADING dose. So skipping this one and thinking you can get that regular dose just any time is not correct. In my case whether, sick, traveling or being with a dying family member, I had only ONE day after my scheduled day to get my dose and stay on schedule.
This has gone on for years so I am very plugged in to this routine. I was on the 3 week dose.

Think of it as if you were taking a course of antibiotics. You don't just stop for a few days and then resume taking them. You take the doses as prescribed from start to finish.

I have a hard time thinking your onc will prescribe a loading dose as a last one for you. Now that you are off schedule, your pharmacy orders for the infusion are also out of date and would have to have new orders. So it is not so simple, even though it is a hardship to get to the clinic.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:53 PM   #13
Laurel

I never missed a chemo infusion or Herceptin infusion for any reason. It was very important to me to go the distance. My onc. was surprised when I asked if I would be finishing in July after a year of Herceptin. She said, "Didn't you ever get off schedule?" She seemed surprised when I told her "no."

Smile On!
Laurel

7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08

15 Years NED

Old 10-13-2009, 12:59 PM   #14
DianneS

My rationale for going AWOL is this.

In 2006, I had cerebral aneurysm surgery. That entails taking out a piece of skull, fixing the artery, then putting back the piece of skull with bone glue. I had 29 stitches across the top and side of my head. I was in surgery for over 3 hours. That surgery took over 2 years to start feeling normal again. I could not sleep on my left side, where the surgery was, for almost 2 years. Felt like I was sleeping on a rock. The bones on that side would crunch occasionally. Talking to more than one person at a time was nearly impossible. Reading was hard. Watching TV was a nightmare and caused visual disturbances. My head will still hurt if I get stressed or overtired.
Then in early 2008 my ovaries messed up and I had to have a huge incision vertically to remove a benign golfball sized cyst. We didn't know at the time it was benign so I went through a week or so of hell.
Then in summer of 2008 I was dx with this disease. I had more surgery - bilateral mastectomies....seven months after major surgery for the ovaries. Then hit with chemo in November 2008. I never missed one session for any reason. I faithfully dragged myself down for 10 hour sessions- that long because I was allergic to the taxotere so they had to go slow. The trip to get there took a full day so we always had to book a hotel somewhere that would also take our two dogs. In March I finished an extra session that I had to beg the doctor for. I wanted 5.5 taxotere/carboplatins, not 4.5. Now, to finish the herceptins requires getting up at 4 AM, driving 50 miles, taking a ferry, driving another 1 and a half hours on a winding road, getting to the hosp (which is nearer than the one I had the 10 hour sessions in) and waiting for them to get everything together...so by noon I might be done...we usually miss the next ferry at around noon, so that means waiting around, again with our two dogs, for the late afternoon ferry. This is an isolated area in Canada so if it's cold and raining one just sits in the car and shivers until the ferry decides to arrive. If I could just hop in my car, have the infusion and go straight home w/o all this other crappola it might make it more attractive. I just could not face another long day, one in which driving & sitting so long also causes migraines.

Perhaps missing one dose will make a big difference. Perhaps it won't. The jury is out on that one - no one seems to know how many herceptins are necessary including Dr. Slamon. My onc said missing one dose would not matter. I am having trouble taking AI's so he wants the herceptin cleared out before we begin on that regimen. Or I may take Tamoxifen - depends upon what my CYP2D6 test says. I can always do the last herceptin if I don't do the hormone therapy. I am weakly ER positive so it is not as important for me as it is for you who have strong ER+.

There are many women with her2+ who have not had herceptin and they are fine. Many just do the AI's. Some studies show that fewer months of herceptin is just as good. The body can also become resistent to herceptin and who knows that this has not already happened? I still find it curious and not very scientific that herceptin cannot be measured in the body. Any other antigen can be measured.
I'm not saying herceptin isn't good - for some people. For me, it makes me ill and I'm enjoying feeling pretty good these last few days w/o that stuff in my body.

I've been at this medical thing for awhile now. I'm tired and fed up. All I hear from doctors is 'we don't know'..about how long to take herceptin, how long to do AI's....how long to take Tamoxifen....they know very little about her2+ and even less about the women who are weakly positive. So I will be AWOL for another few weeks and let my body rest, which it hasn't been able to do since 2006. Then I'll hit it again with either/and one more herceptin/AI's/Tamoxifen.
Dianne
ER+ weakly positive
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Old 10-13-2009, 02:37 PM   #15
BonnieR

That is a punishing routine you have been on and I admire you for going the distance.
What does your doctor say about your decision? Have you discussed it?
I only did 4 rounds of TCH instead of the "usual" 6. I suppose it could be argued that I put myself in jeopardy by doing so. But it was at my onc's recommendation.
I agree with you in wondering what is the "correct" number of doses. It may be arbitrary and probably not really assertained until more data accumulates over the years. Opinions probably vary.
The biggest thing is that you need to be at peace with your decision and not feel you have to justify it.
Keep the faith.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:19 PM   #16
DianneS

Thanks Becky. Yes, it was a long haul, especially in the winter.

I just talked to my onc and she said that the study done on herceptin didn't mean that all of the women who took part in it completed all 17 sessions. I didn't know that! Therefore the results are based on a benefical response of about 50% but that does NOT mean that only women who did 17 tx had a response. Some did only 1/2 of that. The numbers vary. As you know, and as she said, there is no magic number for how many herceptins one should get.

I feel like swimangel because I had a double mastectomy when I only needed one and I did not have any positive nodes or vascular invasion. I am told that's important, so I guess it is.

Anyway, if I feel I want one more herceptin I can still get it. Insurance isn't an issue here, thank goodness. The next big decision won't be herceptin, though, it will be whether or not to go on either Tamoxifen or an AI.
As I am weakly ER positive this is another gray area that no doctor really knows about.

Geez. Sometimes I feel like there is no progress with breast cancer at all. I feel like a @#*% guinea pig!

Dianne
ER+ weakly positive
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Old 10-14-2009, 04:25 PM   #17
Laurel

Dianne,

In light of your onc's findings and that unbelievable hike to the infusion center, I would do just what you have chosen! I love Canada. We spent many summer vacations up in Quebec. We traveled by jeep back a long, dirt logging road (150 miles long!) to old, abandoned camps on these interior lakes. Sometimes we'd travel all day by boat portaging between lakes and camp on the islands. In hindsight, my parents were nuts! Three little kids in the middle of nowhere, can you imagine? They loved to fish. The walleye and pike were abundant and huge! After reading your posts I can appreciate just how difficult your journey is. I say well done to have finished 17 Herceptin and all of your chemo! Bravo to you, brave lady!

Smile On!
Laurel

7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08

15 Years NED