HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-24-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
Barbara2

Zometa and ongoing side effects....fatigue?

Various side effects are not unusual for a day or two after an infusion of Zometa, but has anyone had ongoing side effects from the drug?

In May 2008, I replaced Actonel with Zometa to get better results with rebuilding bone loss from Arimidex. I asked to receive it as prophylactive Rx, which means doing it more often...every 6 months, and my onc agreed, so I received it again in Dec. 2008.

Since mid February, I have had 24/7 increasing/moderate fatigue that does not go away, and usually becomes more pronounced as the day goes on. Aspirin seems to help a bit. Has anyone else had ongoing side effects from Zometa? I'm trying to determine if the Zometa is the cause, or something else.

DX Oct 02 @ age 52 Stage 2B Grade 3 Mastectomy
"at least" 4.5 cm IDC 1+node ER+61% /PR-
Assiciated Intraductual component with Comedo Necrosis
Her2+ FISH8.6 IHC 2+
5 1/2 CEF Arimidex
Celebrex 400mg daily for 13 months
Prophylactic mastectomy
Estradiol #: 13
PTEN positive, "late" Herceptin (26 months after chemo)
Oct 05: Actonel for osteopenia from Arimidex.
May 08: Replaced Actonel with Zometa . Taking every 6
months.

Accepting the gift of life, I give thanks for it and live it in fullness.

Last edited by Barbara2; 03-24-2009 at 02:46 PM..
Barbara2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:24 PM   #2
Gerri

Hi Barbara,

I have had two Zometa infusions and did not experience any fatigue. A few days after the first infusion I had some issues with my knee swelling (unrelated?), but after my second infusion I felt absolutely normal.

Sorry to hear about your increasing fatigue. If you haven't had blood work done lately you may want to request just the routine stuff to rule out anemia, etc.
ER+ (30%) /PR+ (50%), HER2+++
AC X 4 dose dense, Taxol X 4 dose dense
Herceptin started with 2nd Taxol, given weekly until chemo done
then given every 3 weeks for one year ending on March 16, 2007
Radiation 30 treatments
Tamoxifen - 2 yrs (pre-menopausal)
May 2008 - Feb 2012 Femara
Aug 2008 - Feb 2012 Zometa every 6 months
March 2012 - Stop Femara, now Evista for bone strengthening
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look
back and realize they were the big things.
- Robert Brault
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:43 AM   #3
Vic

Zometa and side effects

Glad to see you both posting on this. I've been wanting to ask if there are any side effects after having the one-hour infusion, because my first one is coming up.

I have my first infusion of Zometa in early April for slight bone loss (osteopenia) and the merits being shown from the Australian study. I wanted to ask what I need to do to prepare for it, like hydrate myself more (love the new coconut water on the market these days!), rest, relax, whatever I can do to make the most of this. Is there anything to watch out for afterwards, as well?

Also, did your insurance pay for it and if not, how did you appeal? This may be an issue with me and I'm not sure how it's going to go. I'd like to have a good argument to bolster the osteopenia in case they need something more. Anyone else who has had to deal with the insurance part, please chime in.

Barbara, hope your fatigue has subsided and Gerri, glad to hear your second infusion was fine and your knees are okay, too.

Vicki
Paget's of the nipple, Infiltrating Ductal Carcinoma and DCIS of the rt breast
Bloom-Richardson score 8/9, P53+ 60-70%, Ki-67+ 30-40%
Skin-sparing mastectomy with immediate lat-flap reconstruction and saline implants, 1/04
Chemo: FAC, five sessions every three weeks Feb.-May 04, then switched to HTC weekly for 12 weeks, June-Aug 04
Zometa every 6 months for osteopenia, started April 09
Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:40 AM   #4
Gerri

Hi Vicki,

I'm glad to see that you decided to give Zometa a try. Definitely hydrate yourself, I find it makes it easier to find my almost non-existent veins in my 'good' arm. It is a very quick infusion - about 20 minutes. I didn't get too much of the aches and pains the first time around and felt absolutely fine the second time.

My insurance paid for it without question the first time. The second time I got a letter from them saying that although this was considered 'medically necessary' (or something to that effect) they may not cover it. Well, they did, no problem. I have Anthem Blue Cross POS (the PPO) and so far, so good on everything I have had done - fingers crossed that it will continue that way.

Good luck with your first infusion. Let us know how it goes.
ER+ (30%) /PR+ (50%), HER2+++
AC X 4 dose dense, Taxol X 4 dose dense
Herceptin started with 2nd Taxol, given weekly until chemo done
then given every 3 weeks for one year ending on March 16, 2007
Radiation 30 treatments
Tamoxifen - 2 yrs (pre-menopausal)
May 2008 - Feb 2012 Femara
Aug 2008 - Feb 2012 Zometa every 6 months
March 2012 - Stop Femara, now Evista for bone strengthening
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look
back and realize they were the big things.
- Robert Brault
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:42 AM   #5
Barbara2

Vicki, my findings were very similar to Gerri's. Hydrate yourself. I also had something to drink during the infusion. You will find more comments on this topic, if you do a search on this site, as I recall comments about some achy feelings after the infusion.

I believe the infusion time is normally about 15 minutes, but I usually ask for slow infusions of whatever I am getting, so this took about 1/2 hour or so. My personal opinion is that there may be fewer side effects when drugs are taken more slowly. I did not have any aches or flu-like symptoms the day of or day after.

Osteopenia is what started me on Zometa (had taken Actonel, but still had some bone loss, so asked to switch to Zometa and onc agreed)due to bone loss from Arimidex. I asked and was allowed to take the Zometa twice a year, as studies have shown that when Zometa is given in this amount, it may prevent other types of metastasis , as well as strengthen bones.

My original question was in regard to side effects of Zometa...fatigue, in particular...not when given, but weeks or months past the infusion. I don't think anyone has really experienced any late side effects, fortunately! Also, my insurance paid for both infusions. I doubted that they would pay for the second one, but they did.

After seeing my family doc a couple of days ago, I am thinking the fatigue I have been experiencing may be from hypothyroidism. It has changed my lifestyle a bit, but hopefully won't last too long. The meds take 4-6 weeks, I guess, before you begin to feel better.

Good luck with the Zometa, but I doubt you have much trouble!

DX Oct 02 @ age 52 Stage 2B Grade 3 Mastectomy
"at least" 4.5 cm IDC 1+node ER+61% /PR-
Assiciated Intraductual component with Comedo Necrosis
Her2+ FISH8.6 IHC 2+
5 1/2 CEF Arimidex
Celebrex 400mg daily for 13 months
Prophylactic mastectomy
Estradiol #: 13
PTEN positive, "late" Herceptin (26 months after chemo)
Oct 05: Actonel for osteopenia from Arimidex.
May 08: Replaced Actonel with Zometa . Taking every 6
months.

Accepting the gift of life, I give thanks for it and live it in fullness.

Last edited by Barbara2; 03-27-2009 at 11:46 AM..
Barbara2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:45 AM   #6
Vic

That's what I needed to hear

Thanks Gerri and Barbara for the feedback. You've both made me feel better about this and I'll let you know how it goes. Gerri, my veins are very similar to yours, and that is always the anxious moment when they put the needle in. I always look away, put my head in a good place and hope they get it in two pokes!

Taking the infusion slowly is good advice, Barbara, and I will mention that.

The insurance info. you gave me was valuable and I will use it, if necessary. I think Becky has osteopenia and they pay for her Zometa infusions. Other insurance carriers don't pay for this unless there's a diagnosis of osteoporosis, so it's odd that there is some back-and-forth in the approval process. I have Blue Cross Prudent Buy PPO.

So, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate to plump up the veins.

Thank again.
Paget's of the nipple, Infiltrating Ductal Carcinoma and DCIS of the rt breast
Bloom-Richardson score 8/9, P53+ 60-70%, Ki-67+ 30-40%
Skin-sparing mastectomy with immediate lat-flap reconstruction and saline implants, 1/04
Chemo: FAC, five sessions every three weeks Feb.-May 04, then switched to HTC weekly for 12 weeks, June-Aug 04
Zometa every 6 months for osteopenia, started April 09
Vic is offline   Reply With Quote