Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-25-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
Snufi

no chemo

Has anyone on this site not done chemo?
Snufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:03 PM   #2
Lien

I haven't. I live in the Netherlands, and our protocols are less aggressive. Our results are slightly inferior to the US though. There has been some research indicating that hormonal therapy can be equal to chemo, but that was based on the older chemo protocols. My tumor was rather small as you can see in my signature.

Anyway, chemo is indicated in my country for those with tumors that are larger than 1 cm, if there is lymphatic involvement or if the tumor seems aggressive (her2 or grade 3).
When I was diagnosed 5 years ago, they didn't recommend chemo or hormonal tx for my type of cancer. I think they do now, and they add Herceptin. I had to ask for hormonal tx.

If you like, I could run your stats through Adjuvant online, which calculates the statistical risk for your tumor with and without chemo.

I understand that it's tempting to skip chemo and take your chances now. You may feel differently when you have a recurrence, or even when you are afraid you are having a recurrence. Chemo is awful, especially when you are not getting the best meds to reduce side effects. But according to my mom, once they had figured out how to treat her for the s.e.'s chemo became more bearable. Chemo is tough and painful and it makes you very sick. It may also be your best chance of not ever having to go through this again.

It is something to discuss with your healthcare providers.

If you want me to run your path report through Adjuvant to calculate your risk, I need your age, the size of the tumor, the grade, how many - if any - lymph nodes were involved and your ER status: positive or negative.

Another thought that just came up is this: You just do one more chemo. After that you decide whether you can take one more. You get to choose every time. Don't decide in one go. Think it over three times, and discuss your options with at least one medical professional and one friend or relative who is wise and who can see things the way you do. Which doesn't mean they necessarily agree with you!

I'm going to bed now but if you want to know, I'll run the calculator in the morning and let you know.

Hugs

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:53 AM   #3
Christine MH-UK

Does it include her2 though?

I ask because her2 seems to change things. For example, the Oncotype DX test can be used to judge whether a patient is high enough risk to need chemo, but the U.S. National Comprehensive Cancer Network does not recommend using this test for her2 positive patient because Her2 positive patients invariably come out as intermediate or high risk.
Christine MH-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:51 PM   #4
Hopeful

Snufi,

Here is a link to your original thread: http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...eferrerid=1173

Myself, Mcgle, CLTann, sarah and lizm100 all posted in that thread about our experiences not having chemo.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:20 PM   #5
emily

I didn't receive chemo or herceptin. Was diagnosed in June 2004 with an 8mm ER+ PR- Grade 2 node negative tumour. I had a lumpectomy and 35 rads. Took tamoxifin for 2 years and arimidex for one. I have zometa infusions bi annually for osteoporosis.
It is still the protocol in Australia to not give herceptin to anyone with a tumour smaller than 1cm. Chemo is an option however and recommended by most oncologists if her2+. I was not tested for her2 at the time of my surgery but at my request 2 years later. However, I am not sure that I would have chosen the chemo option as I also have MS and think it would have compromised my immune system even more!
I am coming up to the 5 year mark and am doing well.
Regards,
Emily
emily is offline   Reply With Quote