HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-07-2004, 03:03 AM   #1
Patty D

I noticed today my ankles are pretty swollen- I am not prone to this- and am wondering if any of you have had this happen and what you did for it. I hate to havve to start taking yet another pill- I am currently on a minimal dose 2mg every other day of decadron so I dont think that is it- and the only other meds I am on are ones I have been on for a long time. I am inclined to waait and wach to see if it goes away on its own before telling my dr. I dont eat alot of salty foods. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:04 AM   #2
Jackie

I've had swollen ankles from herceptin since I began receiving it last summer. I get my heart cked with a Muga every so often and it's been ok so far. Herceptin is known for its effect on the heart. It doesn't happen every wk now and it's not as dramatic as it once was, but I agree with Lolly in that you shd mention to your onc. Elevating your legs/feet above your heart might help....I like to get on the sofa and prop my legs up on the back. Good luck!
Old 06-07-2004, 07:50 PM   #3
Lisa

My nurse practioner checks my ankles weekly for swelling. Yes, contact your onc now. Like she told me, "We would rather you 'bother' us with problems that might be nothing than have us get a call on Saturday night from the ER."

Love and light,

Lisa
Old 07-06-2008, 08:10 AM   #4
Cori

afraid

I woke up today and both my feet and ankles are swollen. I have a little tenderness in my right ankle but that's all for pain. I don't have any other health problems and I'm afraid.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:56 AM   #5
Jackie07

Our local hospital has a weekend clinic - is there any health care provider available on weekends in your area?

What is your medical diagnosis? Are you undergoing chemo treatment? If so, you need to contact your oncologist. I had one of my knees swollen one time after rigorous exercise after my third round of TCH. Eventually I had to stop my Herceptin at 22 weeks.

My left ankle has always been a little bit swollen because I had left-side weakness after my brain surgery in 1990. I just try to pop up my feet as often as possible.

Hope this helps. Take care.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:51 PM   #6
Unregistered

Swollen Feet & Hands & Arthritic Symtoms

I finished 5 TCH treatments-did not due the 6th due to what I thought was severe neuropathy. However,since I have started the solo Herception treatments hand and foot swelling has increased. I have constant pains in my joints. I have bothersome stiffness in my fingers. When I awaken in the morning, it takes about 5 miniutes of hobbling before I can walk normally. It is difficult to get up off the floor.I am seeing a physical threrapist with no improvement to date.Due to my painful joints,my exercise now consists of water aerobics. My oncologist thinks these side effects are unusal for Herceptin but has agreed to go to weekly Herception treatments to see if the side effects diminish. Has anyone else experienced these side effects? If so, did they dissapate over time? (My MUGA score actually improved after beginning chemo)
Old 07-06-2008, 04:16 PM   #7
DanaRT

I have had joint pain upon first standing up and waking up in the morning. Knees and ankles are the most noticable. Once I get moving I feel fine. I called the Onc's office and the phone nurse promptly asked if I had had Taxol in my chemo regime. Taxotere was the drug I was given, Taxol's cousin. My last "big" chemo was April 4th and it's worse now. I never moticed joint pain while undergoing chemo. The nurse told me it's a lingering side effect and should get better. Now I wonder if it is in fact the Herceptin. I just had my first 3-weekly (almost) triple dose on June 20th. I am calling the nurse again tomorrow.
I wake with swollen hands, haven't noticed swollen ankles but will keep checking.
MUGA scan tomorrow. It'll be my third. Praying for high numbers.
Dana

]
Diagnosed - Nov. 2, 2007 at 45
Lumpectomy - Nov. 13, 2007
Tumor 1.2 cm
Stage 1 Grade 3
ER/PR - Her2 +++ (3.8)
Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin- 6 rounds
Neulasta
Radiation 33 treatments - will be done 6/6/08
Herceptin through 12/08
12/07 MUGA 61%, 4/08 MUGA 60%, 7/08 MUGA 64%
three wonderful daughters, a terrific husband,
Life is Good
DanaRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:51 PM   #8
Chelee

Unregistered, I did TCH also & had some slight edema in ankles & feet. It slowly got worse with each trt. Then around trt 4 or 5 it got really bad. My lower legs, ankles & feet were super swollen to the point of causing me pain. I thought it was the "TC" but when I finished that and just continued on my weekly herceptin I still had alot of edema in my lower extermities. (Some in my hands/fingers too.)

My swelling in my lower legs/feet was so bad that I got sent for a doppler several times. They were worried about clots but I always checked out ok. My ECHO's were always great too. Just so I could get some relief my pulmonary doc put me on lasix and potassium. I felt better when my feet were 10 lbs lighter. lol

Now I didn't have any stiffness with herceptin...that only happened when I was taken Femara. We all react differently to these drugs. So even if your onc says its unusal...that doesn't mean it can't be the cause. At least your onc is willing to give the weekly herceptin a try. I hope you get this figured out so you get some much needed relief. Wishing you all the best.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:22 AM   #9
trailrider

swollen ankles

Patti:
I also had some swelling in my ankles/lower legs towards the end of my Herceptin. You really should at least make a call to your provider. Edema can be an indicator of something that needs followup. That doesn't mean you will need another medication.
My team counts on me to be observant!!

Barbara

10/06 Invasive Ductal CA
ER + Her-2 +
Grade 3 Stage IIa, Neg Nodes
AC X 4, Taxol X 4
Lumpectomy , then Re-excision
Radiation X 33
Herceptin for 6 months, d/c due to
decreased ejection fraction
Tamoxifen 1 year now Femara
trailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:24 PM   #10
Mgarr

Unregistered,

I had the same swelling in my ankles following Herceptin treatment. After treatment ended it progressed to all joints swollen & painful. I had a gamut of tests & so far (I say this because I am still seeing drs. to find out what is happening) all that they say is "inflammatory arthritis"- I have had some success with diet, if you have any question just PM me or see the following thread.

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=24410

Best of Luck

Mary

Diagnosed 11/04 @39yrs. young
Stage IIB
2.5 cm, ER/PR- Her+++, grade 3
Partial Mast., 1/3 pos. node
1/05 full node dissection
4 A/C 4 Taxol DD, Herceptin 1 yr.
30X rads.
BRCA Negative
NED

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all -Emily Dickinson

Mgarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:00 AM   #11
harrie

Patty, I had swollen ankles once during my THC treatments, and the first thing I had done was schedule an echocardiogram to make sure my heart was functioning fine. It was normal and the swollen ankles did not last long and never returned. To this day I don't know why I had the swelling. I elevated my legs and I am sure that helped reduce the swelling.
maryanne

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 04:51 PM   #12
Unregistered

I had swollen ankles and feet throughout my year on herceptin; particularly bad towards the end. But almost a year now since I stopped and I've had no swelling in ankles or feet--wonderful. For me, it was definitely the herceptin but none of my doctors ever agreed with my diagnosis.