HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-26-2006, 05:41 PM   #21
StephN

Wink Vaccine Categories

When looking at these various vaccine trials, notice that there are various categories of the type of vaccine. Some are DNA based, some are going for another target. The U of W has at least three vaccine trials and those who post here have been in at least two different trials.
The confusion is easy to understand.

The latest one not yet out will be TROVAX (virus based), about which Lolly posted my last post. It is not yet available, and my med onc said not until after the new year does she expect to have it to offer her patients. This vaccine will not be limited to breast cancer patients, so is taking longer to get through all the approvals.

When communicating with Patty Fintak, try to be specific about what you are aking about. If you give her some basic info she can tell you which trial you should be looking at.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:57 PM   #22
rinaina

Just wondering still about trials

I am curious as to whether or not early stagers who have no history of reoccurences or metastisis' at all ever qualify for any trials or is it only those who have had reoccurences or metastisis'? I am all about doing whatever one can to help research as well as ourselves and I know once I complete Herceptin I will probably go through an anxious period of "NOW WHAT"!
AC 4 dense doses
34 radiation treatments including booster doses
receiving herceptin every 3 weeks since late August 2006 for 12 months
rinaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 08:58 PM   #23
Barbara2

Rinaina, they will take stage III patients, which is not cancer that has metastisized. They also take stage IV, metastasis.

I am in the "What now?" stage and very much wish they would accept the lower stages of cancer.

DX Oct 02 @ age 52 Stage 2B Grade 3 Mastectomy
"at least" 4.5 cm IDC 1+node ER+61% /PR-
Assiciated Intraductual component with Comedo Necrosis
Her2+ FISH8.6 IHC 2+
5 1/2 CEF Arimidex
Celebrex 400mg daily for 13 months
Prophylactic mastectomy
Estradiol #: 13
PTEN positive, "late" Herceptin (26 months after chemo)
Oct 05: Actonel for osteopenia from Arimidex.
May 08: Replaced Actonel with Zometa . Taking every 6
months.

Accepting the gift of life, I give thanks for it and live it in fullness.
Barbara2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 10:15 PM   #24
Lolly

Keep an eye out for Phase III on these trials, at that point they'll probably be taking early stager'ers.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 09:47 AM   #25
Lani

rinaina

I think the Windber trial is available for early stage patients similar to you.

The question which someone else might be able to answer is whether they have started the trial which allows the patinet to be on/to have had Herceptin as well.

If you want to read the early results google PubMed and put in Peoples G (for George Peoples the principal investigator of the trial) The Windber trial and the Walter Reed trial are the same, it is just you have to be military related to get into Walter Reed, as I understand it

Hope this helps
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:02 PM   #26
TSund

Bringing up a very old thread. What is the status of these vaccine trials now, and are there still vaccine trials open?

Ruth by size of original tumor would be stage 3. Is there anything else we should be looking at, now or after Herceptin one-year is over?

THX all
Breast MRI showed 2 enlarged nodes, not palpable
100%ER+, 95%PR+, HER2+++
6x pre-surgery TCH chemo finished 9/15/7 Dramatic tumor shrinkage
1 year Herceptin till 6/08
MRM 10/11/07, SNB: 0/4 nodes + Path: tumors reduced to only a few "scattered cells"
now 50% ER+, PR- ???
Rads finished 1/16/08
Added Tamoxifen,
Finished Herceptin 05/08
NOW is the time to appreciate life to the fullest.
TSund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:48 AM   #27
mimiflower07

Location: We presently live 1 1/2 hrs fr a city. in manitoba canada
vaccines

does any one know if Canadians can partake in v-trials in the US?
mimiflower07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:53 AM   #28
Lani

for those who missed my post on the E75 trial on 2/7/08

for those following or participating in the E75 her2 vaccine trials at Walter Reed/PA
the 2008 version of the results are in and they are not as positive as the 2006 SABCS interim report--So stop reading if you don't want to know...

It seemed more in the vaccinated group recurred than in the control group

Glass half empty/glass half full--1)the immunity seems to wane with time, so they are now gearing up to give booster shots and hope this will help 2) the were unsure of the most efficacious dose/scheduling and perhaps the results will improve as more get a more efficacious dose 3) these are small numbers with larger trials perhaps more of the variables which caused these results will become clear 4) they are uncertain of the role of HLAB2/3 in this (a requirement to get into the vaccine arm of the trial) but think HLAB2 positivity itself may increase the rate of recurrence. Trial numbers with HLAB3+s are still small, but results initially seem similar.

What seemed weird to me is how they could put such a positive "spin" on their abstract and the end of their conclusion section. Yes, they hope the results will improve with booster shots, more patients getting better doses, unravelling the relationship with HLA B3/4, but that is just speculation it would seem.

1: Clin Cancer Res. 2008 Feb 1;14(3):797-803.
Combined Clinical Trial Results of a HER2/neu (E75) Vaccine for the Prevention of Recurrence in High-Risk Breast Cancer Patients: U.S. Military Cancer Institute Clinical Trials Group Study I-01 and I-02.

Peoples GE, Holmes JP, Hueman MT, Mittendorf EA, Amin A, Khoo S, Dehqanzada ZA, Gurney JM, Woll MM, Ryan GB, Storrer CE, Craig D, Ioannides CG, Ponniah S.
Authors' Affiliations: Department of Surgery, General Surgery Service, Brooke Army Medical Center, Fort Sam Houston, San Antonio, Texas.
PURPOSE: E75 is an immunogenic peptide from the HER2/neu protein, which is overexpressed in many breast cancer patients. We have conducted two overlapping E75 vaccine trials to prevent recurrence in node-positive (NP) and node-negative (NN) breast cancer patients. EXPERIMENTAL DESIGN: E75 (HER2/neu 369-377) + granulocyte macrophage colony-stimulating factor was given intradermally to previously treated, disease-free NP breast cancer patients in a dose escalation safety trial and to NN breast cancer patients in a dose optimization study. Local and systemic toxicity was monitored. Immunologic responses were assessed using in vitro assays and in vivo delayed-type hypersensitivity responses. Clinical recurrences were documented. RESULTS: One hundred and eighty-six patients were enrolled in the two studies (NP, 95; NN, 91). Human leucocyte antigen A2 (HLA-A2) and HLA-A3 patients were vaccinated (n = 101), whereas all others (n = 85) were followed prospectively as controls. Toxicities were minimal, and a dose-dependent immunologic response to the vaccine was shown. Planned primary analysis revealed a recurrence rate of 5.6% in vaccinated patients compared with 14.2% in the controls (P = 0.04) at a median of 20 months follow-up. As vaccine-specific immunity waned over time, the difference in recurrence lost significance at 26 months median follow-up (8.3% versus 14.8%); however, a significant difference in the pattern of recurrence persisted. CONCLUSIONS: E75 is safe and effective in raising a dose-dependent HER2/neu immunity in HLA-A2 and HLA-A3 NP and NN breast cancer patients. More importantly, E75 may reduce recurrences in disease-free, conventionally treated, high-risk breast cancer patients. These findings warrant a prospective, randomized phase III trial of the E75 vaccine with periodic booster to prevent breast cancer recurrences.
PMID: 18245541 [PubMed - in process]

"Overall, the vaccinated patients were at higher risk for recurrence than the observed patients. More patients in the vaccine group were steroid hormone receptor negative and not on hormonal therapy. HLA-A2 has previously been implicated as a negative prognostic factor in ovarian (30) and prostate cancer (19, 31), and our results here extend this concept to breast cancer.

At our primary analysis, there was a statistically significant difference in recurrence rates between vaccinated and observed patients. However, this statistical finding did not extend out to 26 months due to additional recurrences, including a vaccine patient that recurred at 58 months. We have documented that E75 immunity wanes over time with only 48% of patients maintaining significant residual immunity at 6 months. As a result, a booster program has been initiated. Additionally, these are mixed trials with a total of seven different dose groups. Only one of the eight recurrent vaccinated patients received what is now determined to be the optimal biological dose of the vaccine. Interestingly, a difference in recurrence pattern was observed between the control and vaccine patients. Fifty percent of the observation patients had bone-only recurrences consistent with published rates (32–34), whereas no vaccine patients had bone-only recurrence. This surprising finding is being further investigated. Although there was a higher incidence of visceral metastases among vaccinated patients, the death rate was substantially lower, further suggesting a potential clinical benefit to the vaccine.

Although the E75 peptide has been exclusively tested in HLA-A2+ patients (50% of the population), additional data suggest that E75 binds HLA-A3+ (15% of the population; ref. 21). We extended the E75 vaccine to HLA-A3+ patients, and the toxicity profile, DTH reactions, and recurrence rates were similar to HLA-A2+ patients. This suggests expanded use of the E75 vaccine in HLA-A3+ patients, therefore addressing two-thirds of the general population with a single-peptide vaccine.

These data show that E75 is safe and effective at stimulating a HER2/neu-specific immune response and may prevent recurrence. These intriguing findings should be confirmed in a randomized, controlled phase III trial, enrolling only HLA-A2+ and HLA-A3+ patients."
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote