HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-09-2007, 09:00 AM   #1
Margerie

I hike 5-6 hours a week. I take my 2 german shepherds. Since one is new and a pup (at 100 pounds) I get my upper body work-out too. I did not gain any weight throughout treatment- but I haven't lost any either!! And I need to lose about 30 pounds just to get to a healthy BMI. I have a pretty good diet (exception- December!) and really get a good workout on these hills. I am hoping that once I finish herceptin, some weight will drop. Darn menopuase!!!

(My weight blame game: three babies in 4 years, breast cancer treatment, menopause....and the blame continues....)

Dx 10/05 IDC, multi-focal, triple +, 5 nodes+
MRM, 4 DD A/C, 12 weekly taxol + herceptin
rads concurrent with taxol/herceptin
finished herceptin 01/08
ooph, Arimidex, bilateral DIEP reconstruction
NED
Univ. of WA, Seattle vaccine trial '07
Margerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:57 AM   #2
Becky

The menopause thing is something to contend with. I too needed to lose about 45 lbs or so to be in a healthy BMI (despite that I ran before bc). I did lose 35 lbs during and after treatment. However, once I had those ovaries removed I can't get rid of the last 10-12 lbs (which would put me smacki n the middle of the weight range for my height (and that would be about right as I am a medium frame even though I'd love to say I am a large frame)!

Even though I went back to running from walking in April, my weight still hasn't budged even though in the same hour or so, I can go about 1/3 of the distance more than just walking. And its a better workout. However, not all that many extra calories are burned and the body gets more efficient when doing the same exercise. So, I am going to start doing exercise tapes on my 2 down days and on my short run day I am going to do a short tape. I think if you start to mix it up, it keeps the body guessing and burning more calories. Just like your diet, the body gets used to it and gets efficient - even if you are a marathoner - at first you might burn X amount of calories but after awhile it will become X-2.

Also, I have found that I carry more of my fat in the middle. The rest of me is good but that part is not so good. Oh well. I am sure I would have had these problems anyway and at least now I am young enough to try to work hard at exercising them away.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote