HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-25-2007, 05:23 PM   #1
Gerri

Dear Melanie,

The decision to continue working (or not) is unique to the individual. I continued to work full time, taking off every other Friday for treatment. However, my kids were grown and in college, and my husband was very supportive. For me, working meant carrying on 'as usual' and I really think that being out of the house and around people helped me through some of the rough times. I had a much easier time with AC than Taxol. (My onc told me that her patients that breezed through AC had more difficulty with Taxol - and visa versa.) I managed to keep nausea at bay during AC but Taxol got me good with neuropathy. My job at the time was such that I could spend most of the day at my desk with very little moving around. When I went through radiation I scheduled it so I would leave work around 10:30am and then return at my lunch hour. I had so much sick time accrued that this worked out perfectly. Oddly enough, the fatigue didn't set in until long after I was done with radiation. The important thing to remember is to listen to your body. If you are tired, rest. If I had small children I'm sure I would have done things differently.

Best of luck to you as you try to make this decision. Let your body be your guide.

ER+ (30%) /PR+ (50%), HER2+++
AC X 4 dose dense, Taxol X 4 dose dense
Herceptin started with 2nd Taxol, given weekly until chemo done
then given every 3 weeks for one year ending on March 16, 2007
Radiation 30 treatments
Tamoxifen - 2 yrs (pre-menopausal)
May 2008 - Feb 2012 Femara
Aug 2008 - Feb 2012 Zometa every 6 months
March 2012 - Stop Femara, now Evista for bone strengthening
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look
back and realize they were the big things.
- Robert Brault
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 05:57 PM   #2
chicagoetc

Thanks!

Gerri, I was just thinking that I needed to hear from someone who had worked and had actually gone through the radiation...and there you had posted a reply! Though I wasn't thrilled to hear about your experience with Taxol. (I hope I have the same experience Colleen did.)

It was really helpful to hear too from Becky and pffida...as women who work in management. I supervise eight people, probably need to hire another as soon as we can get approval, typically supervise up to twelve. They are all good, seasoned staff, professionals in how they handle themselves, their responsibilities, their schedules et al. If I'm not there, they do fine. Given it's a clinic though I have to sign off as a supervisor on a lot of the work they do (not every day stuff but assessments, service plans...). Fortunately I too can work from home as my boss and hers set me up for online access to everything once I was diagnosed. Maybe I will print out hardcopies of things I need to sign to read while sitting through the Taxol plus Herceptin. I haven't had the energy recently to do a lot from home, but maybe this will help over the next 12 weeks.

Overall it sounds like there's no way to know for sure...but it's good to know that it may be possible to work through most of this and that some of you have. It's also good to know that, while I love my job, there may come a time when it doesn't work. But that may be ok too if that's what I need to do.

I have a lot to be thankful for.

Melanie
Portacath: 9/7/07
Chemo: 9/14/07 with AC (every three weeks) for four rounds
Physical Therapy for ROM Loss / "Cording" (but not Lymphodema)
Taxol + Herceptin weekly (started 12/2007 with 8 of 12 Taxol)
Radiation: (28 rads from 3/07 to 4/07)
Reconstruction (silicone implant)
Herceptin done (10/08)
Cognitive Remediation (11/08 - 12/08)
Lymphedema Diagnosed 5/10/10 (almost 3 years post cancer diagnosis)
Lymphedema Rehab 9/10/10 - 11/10/10
Six years NED...7/7/2013!
chicagoetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:31 PM   #3
KellyA

Hi there,

I teach preschool, and it just so happened that I got my AC in the summer when I was off. But I returned to work for during the rest of my treatments- 12 Taxol, 52 Herceptin, and rads. I had some reconstruction surgery done also. I missed 1 day that entire year to have a surgery. I was tired, but it really wasn't that bad. I also had three young boys at home, and all of their after school activities. It wasn't fun, but it was do-able, and I had alot of help that got me through.

Love, Kelly
Stage 2b, 2 tumors- 2.2 cm and 0.6 cm, 3/5 + nodes
all scans clear
genetic testing- negative
06/06 began dd A/C x 4, 12 weekly Taxols w/ Herceptin
30 rads
Herceptin weekly x 1 year
Herceptin completed 08/07
Port removed 12/26/07 MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!
05/17/08 Two year anniversary NED

"We gain strength, courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... you must do the thing that you think you cannot do."

-Eleanor Roosevelt

KellyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:14 PM   #4
LOPSIDED

i Worked On A Part Time Basis For A Year. When I Had My Mastectomy, I Did Take 4 Weeks Off. I Won't Lie, I Was Exausted. I Was A Bank Teller & On Busy Days I Had A Hard Time Concentrating. I Was Able To Keep My Medical Insurance & Work Part-time Because I Qualified For Short Term Disability. After A Year, I Resigned & Paid The High Price Cobra Insurance. It Was Hard Working & I Had A Lot Of Family Stress (my Father Was In Hospice Care). Shortly After I Resigned I Was Diagnosed With Ovarian Tumors-------now I Know Why Working Became Impossible. I Applaud The Amazing Women Who Are Working. I Do Think It Has Its Benefits. I Have Been Home Almost A Year Receiving Social Security Disability. I Feel I Will Be Able To Return To Work Part-time But Not At My Old Job. They Told Me Once You Resign On Long-term Disability They Do Not Hold Your Job. I Have Felt Very Isolated The Past Year. Its The First Time I Didn't Have A Job Since I Was 18. I Needed The Rest And Feel Everything Happened The Way It Was Suppose Too, Good Luck In Whatever You Decide For Yourself.
12/2007--ENLARGING LYMPH NODES IN ABDOMEN--IXEMPRA, THEN TYKERB
08/2008--COLON TUMOR--A/C AGAIN,
12/2008--ABDOMEN TUMOR--AVASTIN/NAVELBINE FEMARA
05/2009--MET TO SPINE (L2) RADS
CURRENT TREATMENT
07/2009- START ZOMETA MONTHLY, XELODA & ABRAXANE......SURVIVING THE BEST I CAN
LOPSIDED is offline   Reply With Quote