HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-02-2007, 09:11 AM   #1
tousled1

Exclamation Interest for Stage IV Patients

Agent Tested in Metastatic Breast Cancer
Patients Resistant to Herceptin Take GM-CSF

Researchers are studying whether there are any benefits to combining a protein that boosts the immune system with the drug trastuzumab (Herceptin®) in women with metastatic breast cancer who have not responded to trastuzumab alone or with chemotherapy.

Goal of the study

The protocol is not expected to eliminate advanced disease, but researchers are studying whether the experimental treatment will prolong survival, says the study’s principal investigator, Naoto Ueno, M.D., Ph.D., an associate professor in M. D. Anderson’s Department of Breast Medical Oncology and Department of Stem Cell Transplantation and Cellular Therapy.

The primary objective of the study is to measure the patient’s tumor response rate and one-year progression-free survival.

Significance of the study

The M. D. Anderson study is the first phase II clinical trial to pair trastuzumab with granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor (GM-CSF), a protein that stimulates the production of white blood immune cells.

“This is an interesting use of trastuzumab because it tests the notion that trastuzumab may work in part by activating the immune system,” Ueno says. “Trastuzumab is typically used to inhibit tumor growth by binding to the outside of tumor cells. In this study, it combines with GM-CSF, another powerful immune stimulant, to rev up the body’s own ability to destroy unwanted cells.”

Study description

The 38 participants in the study will receive:
  • Trastuzumab weekly by intravenous (IV) infusion
  • GM-CSF daily by injection
Doses of GM-CSF may change depending on response. The experimental treatment will continue until diagnostic images show that tumors are growing and the disease is progressing.

Participants must be able to visit Houston for periodic treatments, and M. D. Anderson oncologists also will work with a patient’s physician to ensure study medications are being administered, Ueno says.

Criteria

To be considered for this study, patients must have:
  • Stage IV HER2-positive breast cancer
  • Measurable disease
  • Cancer that has progressed after treatment with either:
    • Trastuzumab
    • Trastuzumab plus chemotherapy
  • No active cancer that has spread to the brain
Background

This trial is based on a pilot study conducted by Ueno, results of which were presented at the 2005 conference of the American Society of Clinical Oncology. The study found that cancer stabilized for a period of time in some patients with metastatic HER2-positive breast cancer.

The idea to pair trastuzumab with GM-CSF was borrowed from the use of GM-CSF with rituximab (Rituxan®), a drug approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for the treatment of several types of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, Ueno says.

Trastuzumab and rituximab are monoclonal antibodies, proteins that cover the surface of cancer cells “like a sugar coating, making them attractive to the immune system,” Ueno says.

“Rituximab triggers an adaptive immune response called antibody-dependent cell-mediated cytotoxicity (ADCC), in which the immune system attacks a target cell bound by specific antibodies," he says. "Now, we are testing whether trastuzumab promotes ADCC, and if so, what the therapeutic benefit is.”

For more information, call askMDAnderson at 1-877-MDA-6789 (1-877-632-6789) and ask about protocol DM 01-0100.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:17 AM   #2
StephN

Wink Hope so

Thought some of you might like to know that I took this combination along with Taxol and Navelbine for my very extensive liver mets.

The GM-CSF, otherwise known as Neupogen was part of ALL my treatments as part of the trials in 2001 and 2002. Without this white cell count builder I would have had to take less of my drugs and less often. With this added to my treatment I was able to stay on weekly infusion schedule for my mets.

My med onc considered the nightly injections (which I did) as an important part of my treatment.

I am not sure if I had mets again I would want ONLY Herceptin and the GM-CSF without some other kind of bomb for the active cancer. Their end point as stated in the article is ONE YEAR without progression. MY end point is a LIFETIME without my cancer progressing!

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:36 PM   #3
Becky

Actually GM-CSF is Leukine. Neopogen is G-CSF. It is Leukine that has the "macrophage" stimulation that is necessary for a self or pro vaccinating activity by boosting all components of the white blood cell system. Neopogen (and its sister Neulasta) only boost neutrophils.

Look at www.leukine.com to learn about this interesting drug. My use of it is in my signature. Since I was denied Herceptin at first, I depended on Leukine to give me that edge and who knows, maybe it did.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:11 AM   #4
StephN

Wink Thanks Becky

Now you made me go and dig around in my fridge.
I actually have a couple vials left of the "investigational drug" called Filgrastim or RHG-CSF by Amgen. This is the last that I used when fighting my mets.

So, this is not the same as Leukine (sargramostim).

Still, I am not sure I would personally want to fight mets with only Herceptin and the Leukine unless there were only a couple of small places. But that is not how my cancer moves when it activates! Can't help feeling that agressive mets needs an aggressive "push back."

Thanks for setting me straight.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:43 PM   #5
Julie2

Lukine

Hi Becky,

I am interested to know about Lukine. Is this more expensive than Neulasta? Will the insurance companies allow the use of this drug instead of Neulasta without any problem?

Thanks,
Julie
Old 08-23-2007, 05:27 PM   #6
Becky

My insurance company gave me no problem. It is not more or less expensive than Neulasta or Neupogen. It does have to be given daily vs Neulasta which is one shot that lasts 10 days. Neupogen has to be given daily too.

For more technical information www.leukine.com

It boosts the dendrites and the whole immune system. Too bad I didn't get taxol and herceptin together as I would have had leukine shots too and that would have been a great combo. Oh well! Glad to have gotten Herceptin no matter which way.

If you have to take a white blood cell booster - take Leukine. It has been used in bc metastatic settings and gave improved results.

If you take it, let me know - getting a hive or 2 at the injection site after the 6-10 dose is a good sign - shows that there is an immune responce. Good luck!

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote