HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-28-2007, 08:29 AM   #1
marshbird

Question eyelashes and eyebrows

Finished last Taxol 6 weeks ago, now 2/3 the way through radiation. Have Herceptin every 3 wks. for nxt 9 mos.. I know it's vain, but when will I see some eyelashes and eyebrows? P.S. Has anyone had to deal with lanubile eyelashes (very fine and they scratch your eyes; not real eyelashes)? Thanks!
marshbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 08:38 AM   #2
Emelie

Eyelashes

They will come back. Keep that in mind as you look in the mirror every morning like I did and count them. Only thing is, mine were very coarse, short, and curled in a very weird way. I would gently pull them out and then more natural ones came in. I now have eyebrows and eyelashes that I can curl and it took about 5 months all total.
Since I have never been patient this was very hard for me!
Hang in there,
Emelie
Emelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 09:07 AM   #3
marshbird

Thanks Emelie, This is such an minor issue compared to what everyone is dealing with, but after 9 months of surgury/treatments ect. sometimes you just want a little normalcy. Ellen
Old 07-28-2007, 09:33 AM   #4
hutchibk

I just finished 8 months of Taxol in April... my eyelashes started coming back in right at 6 weeks. Little stubs at first, but they filled in enough within about 5 weeks to start wearing mascara. Eyebrows came in slower, but I have always been eyebrow challenged, so even though they are there, they are pretty unnoticeable. I will need to dye them eventually.

A hint for protecting your eyelashes when they do come in (or if one is just starting chemo, this helps as they are also on their way out):

I wear waterproof mascara normally (because I rub my eyes a bit and would end up very racoony sometimes). But, when removing it, if it is stubborn, it can sometimes cause me to to pull an eyelash or two out... Knowing now how valuable every single lash is to me these days, I started applying my first coat of mascara with the non-waterproof. I let it dry and put on the coat of waterproof on top of that. I get the best of both worlds, mascara that is easier to remove, but that won't rub or smudge as easy...

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 10:48 AM   #5
michka

Finished Taxol+Herceptine last December 30th. Eyebrows came back faster: around 2,5 months. Full eyelashes 5 months.
Michka

12.2010 Mets to liver,Herceptin+Tykerb
03.2011 Liver resection ER+70% PR-
04.2011 Herceptin+Navelbine+750mg Tykerb
06.2011 Liver ned, Met to sternum. Added Zometa 09.2011 Cyberknife for sternum
11.2011 Pet clear. Stop Navelbine, continuing on Hercpetin+Tykerb+Aromasin
02.2012 Mets to lungs, nodes, liver
04.2012 TDM1, Ned in 07.2012
04.2015 Stop TDM1/Kadcyla, still Ned, liver problems
04.2016 Liver mets. Back on Kadcyla
08.2016 Kadcyla stopped working. mets to liver lungs bones
09.2016 Biopsy to liver. no more HER2, still ER+
09.2016 CMF Afinitor/Aromasin/ Xgeva.Met to eye muscle Cyberknife
01.2017 Gemzar/Carboplatin/ Ibrance/Faslodex then Taxotere
02.2017 30 micro mets to brain breathing getting worse and worse
04.2017 Liquid biopsy/CTC indicates HER2 again. Start Herceptin with Halaven
06.2017 all tumors shrunk 60% . more micro mets to brain (1mm mets) no symptoms
michka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:35 PM   #6
Gerri

the little things count too...

I lost my eyelashes three times during the course of my treatment. The first time was about half way through radiation (after Taxol) and then twice when I was receiving Herceptin only. I think this bothered me more than losing my hair - that I could easily disguise by wearing a wig, but having bald eyes was another matter. I continued to wear my makeup as usual (eyeshadow, eyeliner and eyebrow pencil) and found that it helped to camoflauge the fact that my eyes were bald too. I got pretty good at faking eyebrows! I am now about four months out of treatment and have all my eyelashes back. When they start growing back, they come in very fast. My eyebrows have stayed thin but I just fill in where needed.

ER+ (30%) /PR+ (50%), HER2+++
AC X 4 dose dense, Taxol X 4 dose dense
Herceptin started with 2nd Taxol, given weekly until chemo done
then given every 3 weeks for one year ending on March 16, 2007
Radiation 30 treatments
Tamoxifen - 2 yrs (pre-menopausal)
May 2008 - Feb 2012 Femara
Aug 2008 - Feb 2012 Zometa every 6 months
March 2012 - Stop Femara, now Evista for bone strengthening
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look
back and realize they were the big things.
- Robert Brault
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 02:04 PM   #7
hutchibk

Gerri - I got pretty good at faking eyelashes too! Not too hard once you get a system...

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:09 AM   #8
Joy

I know

how much it stinks to lose those features as they really do define a face so much. It isn't even vanity it is, as you said, normalcy. And it is like rubbing salt in a wound to have to deal with these things. I have lost eyebrows and lashes a few times and I have to say that after taxol/carbo my lashes came in so beautifully-I was thrilled they are even better than before and only cost thousands of dollars! It took awhile and my eyebrows are just coming back after 8 months of taxol/carbo followed by about 7 or 8 months of navelbine (all with herceptin). And now on tykerb/xeloda I'm enjoying my hair, lashes, and brows. My point is they all come back and you will so appreciate these little but important things forever.

dx stage I 2/2000*er/pr+; her- per IHC*lumpectomy*4 rounds A/C*30 rads*tamoxifen*dx stage 4 5/2002*huge mets to liver*tiny mets to lungs*stopped tamoxifen*5/02 taxotere/xeloda*her 2 checked with FiSH-her2+++herceptin *2/03 stopped chemo femara w/herceptin*zolodex*04 switched to aromasin w/herceptin*05 high estrogen tx*11/05taxol/carbo*7/06 stopped chemo; megace/herceptin*9/06navelbine/herceptin*5/07tykerb/xeloda great response*4/08 progression in liver; ooph/ faslodex /herceptin
6/08 began Herceptin DM-1
9/08 progression
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 09:41 AM   #9
marshbird

Thanks to all who have taken the time to reply to such a simple question. It lifts my spirits to know there are so many caring, beautiful women (with and without eyelashes and eyebrows) out there. God Bless! Ellen
Old 07-29-2007, 05:02 PM   #10
harrie

Marshbird,
I lost most of my eyelashes almost a month after chemo and also 80% of my eyebrow.
Smashbox makes a great eyebrow makeup which I use and no one can tell. I also use false eyelashes and find them comfortable, they stay on, and I can put them on quickly.
Both the eyebrows and eyelashes seem to be coming back already and it is prob about a month since I lost them.
harrie (maryanne)

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 08:19 PM   #11
BonnieR

Gee, I was so concerned about losing my hair I never even thought about losing lashes and brows!!! The Looking Good (or whatever that makeup program is called) is coming soon to my CCC so I guess I will be paying them a visit!

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 09:00 PM   #12
rinaina

i finished chemo last july and i still can't seem to keep lashes or brows. brows are worse and i don't think i will get them back as they were as there are areas where it isn't growing at all. i have them toward the inner part but not at outer parts. my lashes are very weak and fine and sparse. i am currently using a product from sephora that is suppose to stimulate eyelash growth called lipocils. the people there swear by it and i read about it in a magazine. they also carry one for eyebrows so maybe worth a try.
AC 4 dense doses
34 radiation treatments including booster doses
receiving herceptin every 3 weeks since late August 2006 for 12 months
rinaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:19 AM   #13
Melinda

Bonnie

The Look Good Feel Better program is wonderful. Not to mention the terrific cosmetics thaat they give to you. I am using mine as we speak. All name brands MAC, MErle Norman, Christian Dior even. During my class they focused in on wigs and alternative hair options and did not go extensively over eye lashes and brows, but if you ask I am sure they will help. I still had lashes and brows at that point and shaved my head so I was not concerned. Talk about a surprise when most of my lashes and all of my brows went on vacation AFTER I had completed round 6! I guess it was a last minute reminder that the chemicals are still in your body. Right now I am looking like a tennis ball for hair... as someone's husband said... call me Wilson! Its even white righth now, who knows what color it will endd up?
Keep the faith
MElinda
Mammosite radiation completed 2/10
Stage1/Grade 1
clear Margins /Nodes Neg
ER+
IHC +2 Fish +
ONCO 23
Started TCH on 3/2 for 6 rounds of TC once every three weels and a year of Herceptin every 3 weeks -
Finished everything and now on Aromasin
Melinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:23 AM   #14
BonnieR

Melinda, maybe it will end up that bright neon yellow/green that is so fashionable in tennis balls!!
P.S. I am originally from Bryn Mawr!

Post menopause
Sentinel Node Neg
Aromasin started 5/10
Old 07-30-2007, 04:12 PM   #15
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink I'm A Bit Envious

I've been STABLE since '99, still on Vitamin H ev 3 wks... The metastatic chemo (Taxotere) made me bald again, and I lost eyebrows and eyelashes, again. BUT, I never got my eyebrows back at all. I have about 16 eyelashes on my upper left eye, 9 on my upper right eye, 6 on my lower left eye, 10 on my lower right eye. No kidding.

I had the longest, fullest lashes that everyone asked if they were mine. No not long and surely not lush. And I actually used to get compliments on the shape of my eyebrows. I have learned to create them, but would love to have them back. I keep telling myself it is a small price to pay for being STABLE, which I am eternally grateful for.

Still, I'm a bit envious of those who got back what they lost. (I also have a poor hairline, no widow's peak anymore, more like a receding hairline, or a high forehead. I'd often wear my hair back with a headband, but hesitate now as it's weird looking.) I used to have such thick hair, every hairdresser in NY and Florida used to complain it took forever to dry. Now my hair around my face is so thin, I can't even make *bangs*, which were Audrey Hepburn lush. Bummer. I AIN'T COMPLAINING, just reporting...
Love to you all. Wishing you ALL hair *AND* NED...! ANDI
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:12 PM   #16
harrie

Bonnie, that was FUNNY about the bright neon color you were mentioning about!!! LOL!!! Mine is looking like a big'ol dark fuzz ball right now! Comfort-wise it is great with this warm humid Hawaiian weather.
Maryanne

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:11 PM   #17
marshbird

Smile they're growing!!!!

Since I first posted this somewhat vain, desperate request for information about eyelash and eyebrow regrowth less than two weeks ago, mine have sprouted! I now have a nice set of eyebrows and look like a mostly bald man wearing mascara. Watch out world, here I come!
Old 08-07-2007, 04:50 PM   #18
BonnieR

That wasn't vain. Sometimes it is just the straw that breaks the camel's back! I was glad for the information. Although it had not occurred to me before, I was so preoccupied with losing the hair on my head. Which has not happened yet but I assume it will, any day.....
A friend suggested I write haiku about it. My first attempt. Please dont laugh
In just a few days
I'm going to loose my hair
May I choose not to? (or: May I refuse to?)

I bought two wigs. They had names when I bought them. Annette and Sally. So I guess I "adopted" them..
Thank God we all have a sense of humor to see us through

Post menopause
Sentinel Node Neg
Aromasin started 5/10
Old 08-07-2007, 05:01 PM   #19
hutchibk

God loves a good laugh - and you know he/she counts on us for some of the best ones!

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Sept'05~
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
May'07~
June'07~
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
Sept'08~
Oct'08~
Dec'08~
June'09~
Sept'09~
Oct'09~

Old 08-07-2007, 05:30 PM   #20
Shad

My eyebrows came in very thin after chemo. I now have them dyed every 2 mos or so when I get my hair cut. It makes a big difference in the emphasis around my eyes. My hair came back in a little more curly. I used to have it a little longer, but when it was growing back, the shorter length looked better on me than I had expected. Also, my hair came back much darker - I tell people my colorist is my oncologist
Shad
4 rounds of A/C, 1 year of Herceptin.
1/07 Started on Femara - severe lethargy
4/07 Switiched to Arimidex - doing OK
5/07 DIEP free flap reconstruction with tummy tuck!
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote