HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-28-2007, 06:44 AM   #21
VaMoonRise
Deceased

Brain Mets & MRI

Several weeks ago I started with a terrible headache at the base of my skull on the left hand side that radiated upward over the top of my left ear that would not go away. I would wake up with it, go to bed with it and start all over again the next morning with it. I thought it was tension headaches which I had never had before in my life but just by the way it felt I thought that's what it was. I would go from the bed to the couch everyday and couldn't even bear sitting up, I was only able to get some very minor relief by laying with my head on a pillow and if I turned my head a certain way it caused even more pain. I was also having awful bouts with nausea. I mentioned this to the nurses in the infusion room and to the NP and they kept telling me that it was probably side effects from Gemzar. I haven't been on Gemzar for very long but I couldn't imagine that the side effects would be like this because I had been on harsher chemo's before without feeling this badly. I finally was able to push them to do an MRI of the brain which I had never had one done before since being diagnosed with BC. My Onc always wanted to wait and only do one if symptoms appeared. I much prefer having them done periodically to be on the safe side and to be able to catch something as early as possible but I don't know how often they recommend having MRI's done for patients with mets.

Well, they did the MRI and unfortunately it came back showing two definite tumors and a possible third. One is located in the cerebellum and the other in the cerebella. They started me on WBR and steroids immediately. I just finished 15 doses of WBR this past Thursday. The side effects of the radiation and steroids have been a bit tough, they range from fatigue to insomnia, hair loss (again), sore scalp, sense of taste all messed up along with thrush from the steroids, emotional rollercoaster, and not sure if this is from the brain mets or meds but I have been wobbly on my feet and sometimes feel loopy in the head, lol.

They stopped the Gemzar immediately while I went through WBR and haven't started me back on it as of yet but have continued with me on Herceptin once a week. I just had a CT scan done yesterday of my chest, abdomen and pelvis which I should have the results of on Monday. I am very nervous about the results of the CT scan because I had failed to respond to my last treatment of Navelbine for liver mets and hadn't been on Gemzar long before discovering the brain mets. I am praying that there are no new areas and that the liver hasn't progressed uncontrollably. I also hate that I have to wait 6-8 weeks for another MRI to even find out if the WBR has had any effect on the brain mets. I am trying my best to stay positive and keep telling myself as long as there are no new areas and even if the liver mets have progressed some more that we can formulate a new battle plan to beat them back again. Not knowing if they will put me back on Gemzar or not or start with something else now is nerve racking too. I just hope that after I meet with my Onc on Monday and get the results of the CT and have some kind of plan in place that I will feel better. I will also be glad when I can stop taking these steroids all together.

I would tell anyone that has some type of symptoms whether it be headaches, visual disturbances including floaters, numbness in fingers or toes, unsteady gate or just a gut feeling to really push for a MRI. Be proactive because no one knows our bodies like we do ourselves and always better to catch something early than later.

I am so glad that you are having the MRI done Jean and I will be praying that it is sinus problems or some such minor thing. My thoughts are with you and sending lots of good vibes your way.

Love & Hugs,
Nicola
VaMoonRise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 10:20 AM   #22
Susan2

When I go in for MRI's, they give me a cloth to cover my eyes. It's saturated with aromatherapy to relax me. I meditate until I fall asleep.
Susan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 02:09 PM   #23
hutchibk

That's a great idea! A lavender eye cloth...

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote