Webmaster

Here's a link to the LA Times Article:

http://www.latimes.com/features/heal...adlines-health

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:15 AM   #2
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink Chemo Brain Is Not All In Your Head

For sure, it's real. Talk to a chemo room filled w/mostly bc patients and compare notes. I live w/it. I feel your pain, Patricia. I do find that daily crossword puzzles (I'd do them on the phone w/my dghtr and see who finished first), writing (which I do 5 hrs a day, working on My Book) all challenge my mind. It's a part of us that requires exercise! I watch History Channel, Discovery Channel, PBS and take notes. I read a lot and underline everything I feel important, making notations in the margins. Used to feel it sinful to write in a bk, but it assists me in absorbing material. I don't read fiction. I want to learn, w/ea day. I think all that helps and I've read that computer GAMES can help stimulate the brain cells. Never tried 'em.

All that being said, Patricia, I went to my supllements list and looked up my notations. COMPLETELY GREEN PHYTO FORMULA can be found at www.completelygreen.com. I actually called the # on the bottom of the bottle, while failing to find any matches for "completely...formula" on the web. They recommend $49 something. They sell it for $34.99 -- 180g jar.

I also saw that at the same time (a mnth ago) when I started taking Phyto, I also started taking NADH (Co-Enzyme1 - 5 mg) -- for energy. But in reading the box the 30 tablets come in it states "improves cellular energy and elevates mental clarity. Claims cell regeneration, DNA repair, boosts immune system, a potent antioxidant. My onc/supplem man says to take 2 a day (1/2 hr before a meal) (coming to $36 a mnth). I usually use Vitacost for my supplements and vitamins, but don't recall being able to get it anywhere other than VITA HEALTH APOTHECARY (David) 212) 628 - 1110. They will ship anywhere and do so within days. So I'm thinking -- maybe the combo is doing the trick. If you find NADH -- Enada -- anywhere else (for less than $36 for 2 boxes, or 60 pills) -- please report back!

Have been taking Ginkgo Biloba Extract 60 mg AM/PM for yrs and I think that counters in as well. People have noted that when I come up with a word, a name, whatever, as everyone else is struggling -- WOW! Where'd that come from, SO FAST! I take supplements, pops out of my mouth. They say, I think maybe I should start trying them... AND MY ENERGY LEVEL is amazing. I just seem to keep on going into the night, whereas I dragged myself around most days (when under 12 Hgb, my "normal being 13-15).

Go next wk for Vit H and CBC. Am anxious to see where my 11.9 stands. If I can feel this perky without Aranesp, I can give up that fight.

Am fascinated by the high altitude, mountain concept. I swear just looking at mountains elevates me (no pun intended). The serenity of such sacred beauty penetrates ev cell.

Sending healthy happy vibes your way, all my Soul Sisters... ANDI
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:46 PM   #3
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink Mental Alertness

Omega 3 improves brain function, detoxifies, heart healthy, anti-cancer. I take 1000. Check out Omega 3 in SEARCH above, click and type in and hit GO. RB has contributed much on this topic. Many links to expand your view on this. Sending good vibes your way... ANDI

Leslie, Started click your links within your post. Very interesting. Thanks so much for expounding on this important topic!
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 12:33 AM   #4
Patricia

Hi Andi,

Thanks for the site info. I am going to the doc tomorrow and am going to talk to him about it. I did buy gingko last week after doing a lot of reading on that topic as well. It sounded very promising. Thanks for the advice - I desparately need the energy level that you have! :-)

Maria,
The foreign language class is interesting. I was bilingual (recent acheivement after living in costa rica for the year prior to my dx) prior to my dx and I now have a terrible time with it. It is like I lost years of progress. I told my doctor and he told me that he had a patient who was born in Guatemala and moved to CA over 20 years ago and had established her own very successful company years ago and had perfect english. After chemo she lost all of her English and had to learn it all over again. He said he believed that the chemo clearly affected the language area of the brain - which would explain the verbal 'hiccups' and gaps that we have all described.

Hugs,
Patricia
9/15/05: Total Thyroidectomy
A/C X 4 DD, 11 weekly Taxol + Herceptin, + 9 mos Herceptin Alone, 36x Rads, Lupron, Aromasin
7/29/07: 2 years NED :)
8/6/07 Oopherectomy (Lupron no more! :-)
Aromasin & Estring plus Synthroid and supplements
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:49 PM   #5
theresaw

Wink ChemoBrain!!!!!!!

My doctor will not let me take the Provigil. I guess I am okay with that. Since then I have been taking Ginkoba and Gensing so far I haven't felt as foggy I get thru the day, but I have now started going to bed alot earlier. Since I start my day at 5:15a.m. now. I pray that soon all of us will no longer have to deal with CHEMOBRAIN, my Onc just doesn't seem to want to think that it is something to be concerned about ( which makes me MAD)but what can you do.
My prayers are going out to all My Survivor Sisters
TheresaW
theresaw is offline   Reply With Quote