HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-07-2007, 05:43 AM   #1
logancounty

new to board not to cancer

Hello everyone,
I am a 4 year survivor and was diagnosed last week with a 3.5 cm lesion in the back part of my brain. I have started whole brain radiation to be followed by radiosurgery. My onc and radiologist wanted to get this treatment started in hopes of shrinking the tumor enough to be considered for the radiosurgery. I am not a good candidate for other surgical proceedures since it is lying too close to the brain stem. I didnt have any real symptoms except some dizziness that was thought to be caused by sinuses. My onc ran a brain MRI and found the spot. I feel fine but and sooo scared . I had stage 3c breast cancer at original diagnosis and had 6 months of chemo. 7 1/
2 weeks of rads. Followed by a year of herceptin. Had just made my 4 year mark in April and now this. The one large lesion is the only place it was found. I am just looking for someone who has had these treatments and can help me understand what will come next. I am a single mother who cant work anymore and am lost and scared. Thanks for any advice.
logancounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:51 AM   #2
Shell

You have come to the right place, and I am sorry to hear about your reoccurrence. I don't have info to help you, but want to let you know that others will, and we're here to support you in any way we can...

Regards,
Shell

init diag 3/17/03-stage IIIC
ER-/PR-/HER2+++
CET x4 neo-adjuvant
lump & SNB 8/03
CET x2
radiation and herceptin/navelbine 11-03-1/04
1st reoccur to lymph nodes 8/04
complete axillary dissection 12/04
herceptin/taxotere til progression (lungs) 3/05
xeloda w/out lapatinib trial 6/05
lapatinib/tykerb added 4/06
ended trial 8/06 due to progression
doxil / avastin 11/06-12/06 - wasn't working
navelbine/herceptin/avastin 12/06/3/07 - progression
gemzar/carboplatin/tykerb 4/07
mri shows extensive mets to bone in pelvic area 6/07
switched to abraxane (3 on/1 off) + tykerb 6/07
Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:33 AM   #3
Christine
Founder - HER2 Support Group

I had both procedures. There are little side effects from Gamma Knife. WBR on the other had is a different story.

Side effects include fatigue and cognitive failure. Has your oncologist investigated Cyberknife?

Gamma Knife is limited to tumors < 3.cm, but Cyber Knife is capable of treating larger ones over several sessions. He may also want to investigate IMRT which is also capable of treating larger tumors.

If you wish to discuss your options, email me your phone number.

Hugs
Christine
HER2 3+++, er- pr-
AC, Taxol, Herceptin, Gamma Knife (3 treatments) WBR
NED July 2001
December 2001 - Founded HER2 Support Group
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:55 AM   #4
Joy

just want to say

you are in the right place and that Christine is a great and encouraging resource for you. There are a number of others (do an advanced search on this site for pattyz's posts) and I know they will post soon. I feel blessed that I have not had mets to the brain and , therefore, don't have a lot of practical knowledge to give you. But I want you to know that we welcome you and care for you and understand being sooo scared. I, too, am a single mama of 2 grade school girls so there are elements to your struggle that I understand.

Stay connected and I'll be thinking of you.

dx stage I 2/2000*er/pr+; her- per IHC*lumpectomy*4 rounds A/C*30 rads*tamoxifen*dx stage 4 5/2002*huge mets to liver*tiny mets to lungs*stopped tamoxifen*5/02 taxotere/xeloda*her 2 checked with FiSH-her2+++herceptin *2/03 stopped chemo femara w/herceptin*zolodex*04 switched to aromasin w/herceptin*05 high estrogen tx*11/05taxol/carbo*7/06 stopped chemo; megace/herceptin*9/06navelbine/herceptin*5/07tykerb/xeloda great response*4/08 progression in liver; ooph/ faslodex /herceptin
6/08 began Herceptin DM-1
9/08 progression
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote