HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-15-2007, 08:51 AM   #1
Cathy1

Did you ever have this?

Hi! Did anyone ever have terrible underarm pain and pain along the scar after mastectomy? My left breast mastectomy was nine years ago and this is the only time I'm having problems, especially at night. I don't know if I didn't raise my arm enough and it's all fluid or what could be causing the pain. The onc thinks it's scar tissue and the surgical clips showed up as a 1cm area on the MRI that hasn't changed in years. Could chest wall or underarm lymphedema cause all this pain or scar tissue after so many years? And do any of you know of a good lymphedema site where I could find answers. Thanks and God Bless You All, Cathy
Cathy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 03:24 PM   #2
Lolly

Cathy, have you ever had a PET/CT? This type of scan will show any unusual biological "activity" in areas of concern. Scar tissue can show up, as well as inflammation from injury and disease, and someone skilled in reading these scans can tell the difference. It might help pinpoint what is causing the pain?

<3 Lolly
Sept.'99 - Dx.Stage IIIB, IDC ER/PR-, HER2+++ by IHC, confirmed '04 by FISH. Left MRM, AC x's 4, Taxol x's 4, 33 Rads, finishing Tx May 2000. Jan.'01 - local/regional recurrence, Stage IV. Herceptin/Navelbine weekly till NED August 2001, then maintenance Herceptin. Right Mast. April 2002. Local/Regional recurrence April '04, Herceptin plus/minus chemo until May '07. Gemzar added from Feb.'07-April '07; Tykerb/Abraxane until August '07, back on Herceptin plus Taxotere and Xeloda Sept. '07. Stopped T/X Nov. '07, stopped Herceptin Dec. '07, started Avastin/Taxol/Carboplatin Dec. '07. Progression in chest skin, stopped TAC March '03, started radiation.

Herceptin has served as the "Backbone" of my treatment strategy for over 6 years, giving me great quality of life. In 2005, I was privileged to participate in the University of Washington/Seattle HER2 Vaccine Trial.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:07 PM   #3
Hope M.

Dear Cathy,

I have had good results with deep tissue massage therapy under my arm. The scar tissue can release with heat and massage, although I am not sure about older scar tissue.

Good luck,
Hope M.
Hope M. is offline   Reply With Quote