HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-02-2006, 10:35 AM   #1
kareneg

I have another question

Please what is the difference between taxol and taxotere. I started to progress on taxol in April . Will taxotere work even if I progressed on taxol? Thank you, any input is deeply appreciated.

IDC
DX 1998 STAGE I ER+/ PR+
AC CHEMO TILL FEB 1999
Tamxofin till 2001
2001 exstensive liver mets and mets to lungs
Started weekly taxol
Jan 2002 found out I was strongly HER2POS+++ started herceptin continued with taxol and herceptin till June 2002 then from June 2002 till Jan 2005 just herceptin and Arimidex
2005 Navelbine herceptin had RFA Then back on taxol with herceptin
April 2006 progression again went on clinical trial with tykrerb/herceptin progressed on the started Xeloda/ herceptin
Feb 2007 started Doxil
August 2007 Taxotere,Carboplatin and Herceptin exstensive mets to liver and pancreas
October 2007 Had to stop Carboplatin due to sever allergic reaction
Jan 2008
Stopped Taxotere due to progression now on Gemzar and Herceptin
March 2008 Starting Carboplatin, Abraxane, and Herceptin.
kareneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 12:22 PM   #2
Becky

Both drugs are taxanes (so is Abraxane) and are based on the same chemistry and work in the same way. They stop cancer growth by interferring with what are called telomeres. Telomeres are the structure in a cell that helps the "almost ready to divide" cells to pull apart. Taxanes interfer with this action so the cells can't pull apart and then they die.

I think if you progressed on Taxol, you could try Taxotere (its "supposed" to be better) but I would try something else in between and then try it as it is in the same drug class and type. It's kind of like if you had an infection and pencillin didn't work and so they try amoxillin (which is a modified form of pencillin). I think you understand what I mean.

Also, ask your oncologist why they want to try Taxotere right after trying Taxol (of which you progressed on). The onc may have a thought process going on that you need to be privy about.

Kindest regards

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 12:40 PM   #3
kareneg

Thank you Becky,
I was just wondering about it. I went on the Tykerb/Herceptin trial in June and started to progress on that, so as of October 13th my doctor has put my on Xeloda my CA 27-29 was 124 on October 4th and when I went to my doctor on October 31st it was 265. So I was so shocked to see such a rise in such a short time. He wants me to due another round on the Xeloda which I will start tomorrow, but I was wondering If adding the Taxotere to the mix would benifit me more. Not really sure what I am thinking of lately, but thank you so much for this information I deeply appreciate it.

IDC
DX 1998 STAGE I ER+/ PR+
AC CHEMO TILL FEB 1999
Tamxofin till 2001
Started weekly taxol
Jan 2002 found out I was strongly HER2POS+++ started herceptin continued with taxol and herceptin till June 2002 then from June 2002 till Jan 2005 just herceptin and Arimidex
April 2006 progression again went on clinical trial with tykrerb/herceptin progressed on the started Xeloda/ herceptin
Feb 2007 started Doxil
August 2007 Taxotere,Carboplatin and Herceptin exstensive mets to liver and pancreas
Jan 2008
Old 11-02-2006, 01:15 PM   #4
StephN

Thumbs up Had both taxanes

I am sorry you are having to do the drugs Musical Chairs like this. The Xeloda may be good for you and you will know that shortly.

Have you tried Navelbine or Avastin?

They say that the Taxol and Taxotere work similarly. In my case they DID NOT. Taxotere just about killed me (meaning was very hard on me and they had to cut dose twice on the 3-week schedule). That was adjuvent after Adriamycin. My disease progressed within a few months from Stage IIb to IV after the Taxotere.

I went on a three-pronged approach of Taxol, Navelbine and Herceptin that knocked the socks off the aggressive mets. Taxol turned out to be a good drug for me and maybe I should have had that instead of Taxotere to start with. I could tolerate all three new drugs on the weekly doses. Only had to miss one treatment due to low counts in the whole 7 months.

I believe in the synergistic approach of more than one drug as it got my mets under control and that has been over 4 years ago since I was on chemo - only take 3-weekly Herceptin and 3-monthly Zometa now.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 07:58 PM   #5
kareneg

Thanks Stephn,

I believe that I need another drug added to the mix to hopefully knock these stubborn mets back down. I had Navelbine but didn't respond to it very well. I have not had Avastin though.

I am so happy that you got your mets in check. I will discuss this with my doctor on the 21st. I just hope that my tumor marker levels off and are not still on the rise.

When I was on the taxol I always had a good response to it and my tumor markers went into the normal range. But I agree I think a three -pronged approach will be better for me. Thanks so much for your input It means the world to me.

IDC
DX 1998 STAGE I ER+/ PR+
AC CHEMO TILL FEB 1999
Tamxofin till 2001
Started weekly taxol
Feb 2007 started Doxil
Jan 2008
Old 11-02-2006, 08:30 PM   #6
Sandy H

Karen, I had good luck with Taxol and Herceptin and then Carboplatin was added so my body would not recognize I had had Taxol. This is a good combo for some. May want to ask you doc about it. I never did do Avastin as I went into Tykerb/Xeloda. Our bodies are all so different it must be quite a guessing game for the docs. I hope you find the right one soon. Hugs, Sandy
5 rads-skin mets
Herceptin, taxol, carboplatin (taxol seem to be the magic drug)
Navelbine & xeloda (did not work)
topical miltex for skin mets
Tykerb/xeloda
thoracentesis x 2 left lung fluid shows cancer cells
Port removal (4 years) with power port replacement
Doxil
Updated 05-07 Scans show no bone or organ involvement we shall see!

I shall not pass this way again. Any good I can do or any kindness that I can show let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again.
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:03 AM   #7
kareneg

Thank you Sandy,

When I see my doctor on the 21st I will be bringing all the information I received here. I will let you all know how I make out. Thanks again and I hope you are doing well on the lapatinib/xeloda!

IDC
DX 1998 STAGE I ER+/ PR+
AC CHEMO TILL FEB 1999
Tamxofin till 2001
Started weekly taxol
Feb 2007 started Doxil
Jan 2008