HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-20-2006, 06:41 AM   #1
dede10

I have believed all my life, being raised in a Catholic home until my parents divorced when I was 4. My mom left the Church-you just didn't get a divorce in the early '60's in a tiny town.

My mom remarried, & we hopped from one church to the next. Over the years, work, raising kids, & life seemed to get in the way. After 2 broken marriages, & 3 children, I married my husband. We went to church and became active. He thrived, & I felt something missing. When I was dx'd, it was a total shock. As a nurse, I thought I knew it all, & just figured since it was not in my family, I wouldn't get it...also, I breast fed & did everything right, or so I thought.

I went with my husband to be "prophesized over, & to a few 'healers'. I ended up returning to my home Church, the Catholic Church, & God. I now pray not only to be healed-if it is His Will, but for the grace to endure whatever I need to. I have learned alot since my dx. I was burning the candle at both ends, constantly on the go, now I relax, enjoy my grandkids. I realize there is so much more to life than buying the house on the hill (although we DID buy the house on the hill this year) or having the newest car.

I am continuing to learn how to enjoy life. I needed to learn how to stop & smell the roses.

I attend Mass always, and have also found the peace I had been missing for so many years.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Dum spiro spero
(Latin: while I breathe I hope)
dede10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:12 AM   #2
RobinP

Thumbs up Keeping the faith through it all...

I too have been a christian all my life and continue to remain so even though I DO have questions about human suffering, particularly since my bc diagnosis. For example, why do bad things happen to very good people? Conversely, why do good things happen to very bad people? The bottom line is that life doesn't make sense sometimes. Still, I believe and trust God is in control and will make things right someday in eternity. In the meantime, I am persusaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him until that day... when I meet Him in eternity.

I often reflect on the following writing to help perserve my faith:
The Serenity Prayer

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right if I surrender to His will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life and supremely happy with Him forever in the next.
Amen.

Reinhold Niebuhr- Often acclaimed author of the serenity pray; however, no one is totally sure who wrote prayer
Old 10-20-2006, 06:00 PM   #3
Jackie

Thumbs up Keeping the Faith

I have been a Christian since my childhood. The Lord has taught me much through trials in my life. I grew in my faith as a college student watching my dad die of cancer. The Lord was with me every step of the way. Many times I didn't understand the "why" of what was happening, but I did know that God promises not to ever give us more than we can handle and that ALL things work for the good of those who love the Lord. When I was dx I held strong to all of this. I do truely feel that I have continued to grow in my faith. I have had a peace through all the ordeal (including 6 months after my dx when my husband was dx with prostate cancer--early stage). The thing we have to remember is that we live in the world that Satan has been given freedom to roam. This is not our home. I don't understand what the purpose of a cancer dx might have for anyone, but will continue to trust that the Lord will bring me through it a stronger person as the result. Keep the faith.
1 node+, 1.6cm
46 yrs. old at time of dx.
Completed Chemo 11-05
Completed 1 yr. Herceptin 8-06
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 06:35 AM   #4
CherylS

Just bringing this back up to see how everyone is doing with these questions and to make it available to some new members.