HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-28-2006, 07:25 AM   #21
RobinP

I don't know why vit E in some studies has promoted cancer spread. Perhaps it isn't related to blood thinning as I was told! In fact, I just googled these articles that actually have some positive things to say about blood thinners, decreasing thrombin, used in cancer tx.

Tissue factor, thrombin, and cancer.

Rickles FR, Patierno S, Fernandez PM.

Department of Medicine, George Washington University, Washington, DC, USA.

In addition to its primary role in hemostasis and blood coagulation, thrombin is a potent mitogen capable of inducing cellular functions. Therefore, it should come as no surprise that thrombin has proved to be of importance in the behavior of cancer. In this review, we focus on the ability of tissue factor (TF) and thrombin to influence tumor angiogenesis. Both exert their influence on angiogenesis through clotting-dependent and clotting-independent mechanisms: (1). directly affecting signaling pathways that mediate cell functions, and (2). mediating clot formation, thereby providing a growth media for tumor cells. Therefore, anticoagulant drugs may prove efficacious in cancer treatment due to their ability to reduce the characteristic hypercoagulability of cancer and alter the fundamental biology of cancer.

Effects of thrombin/thrombosis in angiogenesis and tumour progression.

Maragoudakis ME, Tsopanoglou NE, Andriopoulou P, Maragoudakis MM.

University of Patras, Medical School, Department of Pharmacology, 261 10 Rio, Patras, Greece. maragoud@med.upatras.gr

Laboratory, histopathological, pharmacological and clinical evidence support the notion that a systemic activation of blood coagulation is often present in cancer patients. On the other hand, epidemiological studies provide evidence of an increased risk of cancer diagnosis following primary thromboembolism. Moreover, the metastatic ability of human breast cancer cells is correlated with the number of thrombin receptors of these cells, and thrombin treatment of B16 melanoma cells dramatically increases the number of lung metastases in rats. We have proposed that these tumour-promoting effects of thrombin can be explained by the ability of thrombin to activate angiogenesis, an essential requirement for tumour progression. Many of the cellular events involved in the angiogenic cascade can be activated by thrombin. At the molecular level, brief exposure of endothelial cells to thrombin causes an upregulation of the receptors (KDR and Flt-1) of VEGF, the key angiogenic mediator. This results in a synergistic effect of thrombin and VEGF in the activation of angiogenesis. In addition, thrombin activates cancer cells to secrete VEGF, thus causing a mutual stimulation between EC and CA cells. Cancer cells exposed to thrombin secrete metalloproteinase 92 KD and overexpress the integrin a(v)b(3), all of which are involved in tumour metastasis.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:30 PM   #22
R.B.

You are thorough!

Interesting.

Thanks for acknowledging my slightly random thoughts.

RB
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote