HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-24-2006, 06:50 PM   #1
lu ann

I just got off the phone with a friend I have known since junior high. She does not have cancer, but she has had her share of trials. Her father killed himself when we were in 8th grade and her mother is in the final stages of alzheimers.

My friend goes to see her mother every other day. She feeds her and takes care of her personal needs just as if she were taking care of a baby. This has gone on for the last 5 years. My friend and her mom have reversed roles. She is so dedicated to the care of her mother, much like that of Nancy Reagan for her beloved Ronny.

Noone knows the trials that they will have to endure in this life. Some may seem like they have gotten away without troubles, but we will all someday face them. Some of us are the strongest in spirit when our bodies are sick and weak.

I have 2 other friends whose dads are in nursing homes facing their final days on this earth. You can say that it is their time and they lived a long life, but that does not make the hurt any less. In fact, in can be much harder to lose someone who has been your constant mentor and roll model your entire life, like that of my one friend and his father.

We who have cancer don't have the worse thing that can happen to us. Just look at the world around you and see the horrible human suffering that man inflicts upon his fellow man.

I feel that I have learned so much about myself and others while facing this disease. I have been blessed in more ways then not. But, I did not feel this way 2 years ago. I was in a dark deep hole of depression. It took much prayer, some medication, and the support of others to help me climb out.

Thank God that I found support and can now lend support to others.

Blessings from Lu Ann
lu ann is offline   Reply With Quote