HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-23-2006, 05:54 PM   #1
cowboyangel

Question coenzyme COQ10 and tykerb

I received this response from a question IU had about herceptin.

"You may also question your onc about taking coenzyme COQ10 which has shown to strengthen the heart in small limited studies.

Another alternative is seeing if you qualify for any Tykerb trials. Tykerb has shown promising preliminary results."

What is Tykerb?

and how does one figure out an appropriate does of COQ10?

thanks patience
cowboyangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 07:11 PM   #2
Tom

Coq-10

Cowboyangel,

I didn't see the post with your original question, however I can say that there have been trials done with Co-Q10 that have shown that it can help protect the heart from many chemotherapy drugs, and also has some anti-cancer properties at doses as high as 390mg daily. Many here, including my Mom, take as much as 300-400mg daily without any side effects.

As far as Tykerb, it is the latest targetted therapy aginst HER2 overexpressing breast cancers. This drug, also known as lapatinib, targets not only ERB-2 receptors, but ERB-1 receptors as well, making it even more effective theoretically, than Herceptin. You can find out more about Tykerb by searching for lapatinib+breast+cancer on the web. Here is a link to get you started:
http://www.drugdevelopment-technolog...cts/lapatinib/

Tykerb is in Phase III clinical trials currently, with a planned submission for FDA approval near the end of this year. It sure looks promising and hopefully will be generally available before too long. If you search HER2support.org, you will find information abut Glaxo's EAP program which makes it available under certain conditions for those who it might help now. I hope this helps you.

Tom
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote