HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   dairy products (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=14989)

mmoons 04-13-2011 07:57 PM

Re: dairy products

I am going to stick to the Chinese hamster ovaries and camel bacteria nanoparticles.

Love to you all!

Maureen

Jackie07 04-13-2011 08:56 PM

Maureen,

Just be sure that cheese had not been fed to those hamsters. :)

Jackie07 04-18-2011 01:17 AM

There's a new 'China study' (Not really:) which reviewed all the research literature on the subject: dairy, milk and breast cancer. Notice the phrase 'reduced risk' used in the last sentence.

Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2011 May;127(1):23-31. Epub 2011 Mar 27.
Dairy consumption and risk of breast cancer: a meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies.

Dong JY, Zhang L, He K, Qin LQ.
Department of Nutrition and Food Hygiene, School of Radiation Medicine and Public Health, Soochow University, Suzhou, China.
Abstract

Epidemiologic findings are inconsistent regarding risk for breast cancer related to dairy consumption. We performed a meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies to examine the association between diary product consumption and risk of breast cancer. A PubMed database search through January 2011 was performed for relevant studies. We included prospective cohort studies that reported relative risks with 95% confidence intervals for the association of dairy consumption and breast cancer risk. A random effects model was used to calculate the summary risk estimates. We identified 18 prospective cohort studies eligible for analysis, involving 24,187 cases and 1,063,471 participants. The summary relative risk of breast cancer for the highest intake of total dairy food compared with the lowest was 0.85 (95% confidence interval: 0.76-0.95), with evidence of heterogeneity (P = 0.01, I (2) = 54.5%). For milk consumption, the summary relative risk was 0.91 (95% confidence interval: 0.80-1.02), and substantial heterogeneity was observed (P = 0.003, I (2) = 59.7%). Subgroup analyses based on limited numbers of studies suggested that the associations were somewhat stronger for low-fat dairy intake than for high-fat dairy intake and for premenopausal women than for postmenopausal women. There was a significant dose-response relationship of total dairy food, but not milk, consumption with breast cancer risk. Little evidence of publication bias was observed. In conclusion, findings of the present meta-analysis indicate that increased consumption of total dairy food, but not milk, may be associated with a reduced risk of breast cancer.

pibikay 04-18-2011 01:30 AM

Low fat cheese is supposed to be in the recommnded list for Herceptin takers.Hema has Calcium supplements prescribed by her Onc

Lincoln 05-04-2011 07:05 AM

There is lot of fat in dairy products which cause of overweighting..
So we must avoid the excessive amount of the dairy products..

cyalata 05-08-2011 07:28 AM

My friend runs a wellness clinic in Chicago & when she found out my breast cancer metasticized she said I HAVE to do a vegan diet. I did great for 2 months & got my first PET/CT scan since starting tykerb/xeloda & right lung mets gone, mediastinal & hilar adenopathy gone, esophageal wall thickening gone & marked improvement in left lower lobe of lung (bone mets mixed response). I don't know if the vegan diet helped or if it was just the drugs. Anyway, I got the stomach flu & all I wanted was Italian toast & chicken soup for a week! It's been hard to get back into a vegan diet again for me but I only drink unsweetened vanilla almond milk, sometimes Greek yogurt, hardly any cheese (my favorite!) & occasionally poultry & wild fish/seafood. I had to take a 2 week break from my xeloda because of my hand/foot symdrome but have started back just yesterday. My cough is getting bad again so I'm a little worred about my next PET/CT scan which is scheduled in about 2 weeks. Also, there's a new film out called "Forks Over Knives" that I'm going to see in Chicago next week - I've been advised to see it by my wellness friend. HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO ALL!

Jackie07 05-08-2011 11:33 AM

Happy Mother's Day!

Saw another article 'related to' Dairy today. Reminded me of the 'epigenetics' concept. Seems things can indeed be changed by diet:

J Nutr. 2011 Apr 27. [Epub ahead of print]
Dietary Patterns Are Associated with Levels of Global Genomic DNA Methylation in a Cancer-Free Population.

Zhang FF, Morabia A, Carroll J, Gonzalez K, Fulda K, Kaur M, Vishwanatha JK, Santella RM, Cardarelli R.
Source

Department of Nutrition Science, Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy, Tufts University, Boston, MA 02111.

Abstract

Animal studies have provided direct evidence that dietary factors induce changes in DNA methylation patterns. In humans, studies on diet and DNA methylation have yielded inconsistent findings. Because humans tend to consume foods and nutrients that are highly interrelated, study of dietary patterns may have improved the power of detecting the effect of diet on DNA methylation.

Using data collected from 149 participants aged 45-75 y in the North Texas Healthy Heart Study, we examined the relationship between dietary patterns and levels of genomic DNA methylation in peripheral blood leukocytes. Dietary data were collected from study participants using the Block FFQ. Genomic DNA methylation was measured using bisulfite conversion of DNA and real-time PCR (MethyLight) for LINE-1.

Two dietary patterns were identified using factor analysis: a "prudent" dietary pattern characterized by a high intake of vegetables and fruits, and a "Western" dietary pattern characterized by a high intake of meats, grains, dairy, oils, and potatoes. The prudent dietary pattern was associated with a lower prevalence of DNA hypomethylation (Q(4) vs. Q(1); OR = 0.33, 95% CI: 0.12-0.92) and the association was dose dependent (P-trend = 0.04).

There was no apparent association between the Western dietary pattern and global leukocyte DNA methylation (Q(4) vs. Q(1); OR = 1.28, 95% CI: 0.47-3.47; P-trend = 0.55). Thus, a dietary pattern characterized by a high intake of vegetables and fruits may protect against global DNA hypomethylation. Future studies with a larger sample size need to confirm that this association holds longitudinally.