PDA

View Full Version : Is this a Hoax?

kari
01-15-2008, 06:58 PM
I received this as a forwarded e-mail from my S-I-L. One of the people I passed it on to said he thought it was a hoax, and referred me to the snopes.com site. I didn't think it was a hoax, but I also don't want to be forwarding it on if it is. How sad to think of people playing on the sympathies of others, if it is a hoax. Anyone else know about this? Thanks for your input.
Karen

Please tell ten friends to tell ten today! The Breast Cancer site is having trouble getting enough people to click on their site daily to meet their quota of donating at least one free mammogram a day to an underprivileged woman. It takes less than a minute to go to their site and click on "donating a mammogram" for free (pink window in the middle).

This doesn't cost you a thing. Their corporate sponsors/advertisers use the number of daily visits to donate mammogram in exchange for advertising.

Here's the web site! Pass it along to people you know. http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/ (http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/)

Cannon
01-15-2008, 07:15 PM
I've seen this many times, it is not a hoax. This info is from their site.

About The Breast Cancer Site

www.TheBreastCancerSite.com (http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=2&link=ctg_bcs_home_from_aboutus_maincolumn)
The Breast Cancer Site was founded to help offer free mammograms to women in need — women for whom early detection would not otherwise be possible. Since its launch in October 2000, the site has established itself as a leader in online activism and in the fight to prevent breast cancer deaths.
The issue of breast cancer is painfully close to many people's hearts. Each year, 211,000 women are diagnosed with breast cancer and 43,300 die. Almost everyone knows someone whose life has been affected by a breast cancer diagnosis or that of a loved one. The Breast Cancer Site provides a feel-good way to help promote awareness and prevent breast cancer deaths every day — through easy online activities.
With a simple, daily click of the pink button at The Breast Cancer Site, visitors help provide mammograms to those in need. Visitors pay nothing. Mammograms are paid for by the site's sponsors and distributed by the National Breast Cancer Foundation, Inc.
Access to mammography is a critical issue. Breast cancer is the leading cause of cancer deaths among women ages 40 - 55. Early detection is the key to survival and better treatment options, and mammography is among the best-known methods of early detection. Yet, 13 million women in the U.S. over 40 have never had a mammogram.
In addition to clicking the pink "Click Here to Give - it's FREE" button, visitors can make early detection and survival of breast cancer possible by shopping in The Breast Cancer Site store (http://shop.thebreastcancersite.com/store/site.do?siteId=224&origin=ctg_bcs_aboutus). With each item purchased, shoppers generate funds for free mammograms for women in need. The store offers a wide array of items to show your support, including pink ribbon jewelry and apparel.
About GreaterGood.org

GreaterGood.org is an independent charitable organization devoted to addressing the health and well-being of people (particularly women and children), animals, and the planet. GreaterGood.org distributes funds generated through the GreaterGood Network of websites to the many charitable organizations responsible for implementing programs named on these sites. 100% of the funds generated through the GreaterGood Network pass through GreaterGood.org to our partner charities. GreaterGood.org has ultimate authority and discretion with regard to the distribution of its funds. All expenditures made are consistent with the exempt purposes of GreaterGood.org.
About the Owners of The Breast Cancer Site

Long-time environmental activists Tim Kunin and Greg Hesterberg met at the University of Michigan while working on the Michigan Bottle Bill ballot campaign in 1976. As enthusiastic supporters of The Hunger Site, they realized the power of providing busy Internet users with a fast, free and easy way to make a difference and launched EcologyFund.com to give people the means to support wilderness preservation efforts worldwide. They are particularly excited about The Breast Cancer Site, as both are sons of breast cancer survivors.
Tim Kunin is a life-long lover of wilderness who has canoed and hiked for thousands of miles in the United States, Canada, and Patagonia. He started working for environmental causes at the University of Michigan, where he walked 200 miles across the state to publicize the need for recycling.
Greg Hesterberg was chairman of two statewide consumer and environmental organizations (MaryPIRG and PIRGIM) while in college. After 20 years running a successful publishing firm, Greg delights in finding innovative ways to make the world a better place.

BonnieR
01-15-2008, 07:16 PM
It is real. I have checked it out on Snopes before. It takes 45.000 hits to result in one mammogram. So about one a day gets donated. But it happens apparently.

tousled1
01-16-2008, 01:58 AM
This is not hoax. The breast cancer site offers free mammograms to those who can not afford them. All they ask is that you go to their site once a day and click. I try to remember to do it but somehow my "chemo brain" kicks in and I forget.