PDA

View Full Version : Trigger finger

harrie
12-09-2007, 11:20 PM
I have been starting to experience "trigger finger" in my left thumb. This seems to be happening only at night. I will wake up in the middle of the night and my thumb may be stuck in a bent position. Very strange. I have never experienced this before and from reading about "trigger finger" on the internet, it sounds just like my symptoms.

I am wondering if the heceptin or Arimidex that I am currently taking could be causing this.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Happy holidays everyone!
Harrie

Karen W
12-09-2007, 11:49 PM
Harrie,

It's probably from the Arimidex. I have problems with my fingers getting stuck and I think it is from Aromasin.

Karen

harrie
12-10-2007, 12:06 AM
Karen, is Aromasin something similar to Arimidex?

Do you just tolerate the finger situation and stick with the Aromasin?

Also, have you tried anything like ibuprofen to help with the fingers?

Harrie

dhealey
12-10-2007, 03:13 AM
I was on arimidex and had this problem, switched to aromasin. Now fingers cramp alot. There is also femera, these three drugs are vary similar and cause the same side effects. I got a lot of joint pain from both the arimidex and aromasin. Have not tried femera yet. I take advil for the joint pain. Helps some, but doesn't take the pain completely away.

suzan w
12-10-2007, 07:24 AM
When I first started with Herceptin and Arimidex I had terrible joint pain. The pain seemed to move from joint to joint...first was awful hip pain that lasted a few months, then it was the knees, wrists...you get the picture! Interestingly enough the pain subsided to a more manageable level after about 6 months-or maybe I just got used to it??!! Then it hit my thumbs. It was very strange! It was like my thumb joints were frozen. Even now, more than a year after my last herceptin (still on Arimidex) my thumbs give me trouble and it feels like they "lock up". Sorry you are having trouble, but, for me, it is a little bit reassuring when someone else experiences the same weird things that I am! And that is something that I love about this site! My oncologist can look at me quizzically when I mention something like THUMBS, yet here we all understand!!!

tricia keegan
12-10-2007, 03:50 PM
I take arimidex and have this too, someone recommended a cortisone injection into the thumb...painful but effective according to my friend.
Her Dr said it may never come back but there is a chance she will need another injection in the future. It seems to be a regular complaint with arimidex.

Jean
12-10-2007, 06:40 PM
Everyone is different, I know that Becky is taking Arimidex and getting along fine. I stayed on Arminidex and was in strong joint pain, gave it
a full year and the pain was worse. Switched to Femarra and for me
it was 90% better. Slight joint pain now in the am upon rising and once
I get going my joints are fine. A bit stiff but certainly not that pain.

All three do the same job in the estrogen dept. even the pain continues
consider switching.

Hope you feel better!
Hugs,
jean

Kimberly Lewis
12-10-2007, 07:27 PM
I started with Femara and I have had the same symptoms. Right now it is in my left thumb and shooting down the wrist. Ow, been going on for a few months now and thought it was carpel tunnel or something. Interesting to hear that it isn't just me!

Karen W
12-10-2007, 09:29 PM
Harrie,

Yes, Aromasin is an aromatase inhibitor just like Arimidex.

To be able to tolerate the sticky finger situation, I take 4oz of the brazilian acai berry, which is high in omega 3, epa -dha omega 3 and inflavonoid, which is turmeric. All of these supplements are anti-inflammatory and really do help. There are days though, that nothing helps and then I need a good dose of ibuprofin.

Karen

hutchibk
12-10-2007, 09:40 PM
I had really stiff fingers on Herceptin and Aromasin. Since I stopped both of those it has gone away.

harrie
12-10-2007, 11:24 PM
Thank you everyone for your input. I really appreciate it. I absolutely love this online site and really do not know what I would do without it. It feels so funny being able to share so much personal information and get such honest feedback with so many wonderful people that I have never personally met. I thank you all.

I will bear with this thumb situation for now and hope it does not get worse. I am a dental hygienist and I do need my hands to function adequately. It feels so strange when the thumb locks and then it kinda like pops back into normal position. During the day (so far) it does not do this, but it may feel a bit weak and slightly tender upon palpation of the lower portion of the thumb area, palm side.

Happy holidays to all of you.
I plan to celebrate to the fullest this year, gratelful to enjoy the holidays in great health and spirits.

Hugs,
Harrie

Hopeful
12-11-2007, 09:34 AM
Harrie,

I do not have "trigger finger" (yet!) but a lot of hand joint pain on Arimidex. I was looking at the John Hopkins' website, and, apparently, there are a number of patients on Arimidex/Aromasin with a similar problem submitting questions. Lillian Shockley, who answers the questions, said that she has told all of the AI drug companies about the high number of questions she is receiving about this symptom. Just wanted to let everyone know that this is not an unusual side effect. The only way we will get proper medical attention for it is to continue to speak up to our doctors and the drug companies. Thanks for posting this question here.

FYI, here is a link to the Mayo Clinic Website with more info on trigger finger: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/trigger-finger/DS00155

Hopeful

harrie
12-11-2007, 11:45 PM
I hope I am not speaking a bit to prematurely, BUT....last night I rubbed some Traumeel which is a homeopathic gel that is anti-inflammatory and analgesic on the base of my thumb area plus I took one Advil and I noticed my thumb was not as bad as previous nights.

Going to try that again tonight.

Harrie