PDA

View Full Version : "Normal" activities

BonnieR
09-23-2007, 09:26 AM
Hello everyone. I hope this does not sound like a silly question. But I wondered how you all handle what used to be "normal" activities. I am asking because we have had several days of out of town guests visiting us this past week. My "best" week in the course of chemo. They did not stay with us, but they came here to see me. So I felt the need to be a "hostess" and entertain them briefly at home and out for meals. That sort of thing. Aside from tiring more easily, I was able to cope. But I did alot. And I wonder if I should be "conserving" my energy and not doing so much between chemo sessions? 3 weeks ago my blood count was low and I was given Nulesta and advised to avoid crowds etc. but have felt fairly perky since so I thought it would be okay to act "normal". How do you balance these things? Should I just let my body dictate?

Jeanette
09-23-2007, 10:03 AM
I used to let my body dictate what I could or could not do. I did try and not overdo it though. I'm sure your friends understood if you got tired. I did feel really well though, being able to do some of the 'so called normal ' things. I found that if I got tired just resting for a few minutes worked wonders. Hugs, Jeanette

tousled1
09-23-2007, 11:05 AM
Bonnie,

I have a terrible problem with my blood counts (both red and white) and am taking Nupogen shots and Procrit shots. I let my body tell me what it can and can't do. You soon learn to listen to your body -- if you're tired you rest, if you have the energy - use it up. I guess what I'm trying to say is to just do what you want, when you want adn if you have the energy to do it.

PinkGirl
09-23-2007, 02:57 PM
Hi Bonnie
I tried to take it easy and rest during my chemo. When I had good days, I acted "normal". I didn't worry about "having" to do things. If I didn't feel well, I told my family and friends that I was staying home. They always understood. Just one precaution: don't always go by how you are feeling; your white cell count can be very low without you feeling sick. I actually felt at my best when my counts were the lowest. Good luck.. :)

Mary Jo
09-23-2007, 05:29 PM
Like Pinkgirl, I let my body dictate my activity. I was fortunate in that for the most part I was able to do day to day activities ALMOST like normal. I had my days, yes, but I think I had more good days than I had bad days. I did what I could and when I couldn't TRIED not to let it get me down. I'm a doer - I'm stubborn and I have a mental thing that says "NOTHING is going to get me down." LOL! Of course, that mental thing proved me wrong on occasion BUT I pushed myself at times and tried to keep my life as normal as possible. It's what I had to do for me and my mental toughness throughout. It kept me sane.

Never feel as if you HAVE to do anything. If you can do and WANT to do then go for it. If you don't feel up to it or don't want too then don't.

Love & God's Peace I send,

Mary Jo

Becky
09-23-2007, 06:23 PM
As everyone else said, let your body tell you what you need. Don't feel that you shouldn't do things though. After all, you are going though chemo and treatment to help ensure that you live. Therefore, go out and live it up!

chrisy
09-23-2007, 08:25 PM
I found that living as close to "normal" life helped me stay sane. In fact, I made a point of seeing friends practically every week as laughing with friends made me feel bettwas healing for me.

I scaled back on what would have required "personal effort" of cooking, etc - and found it was a great excuse to eat out or do low key stuff like playing dominoes. As others have said, go with how you feel and do not push yourself beyond the limits your body is setting. Your top priority is to get well again - you can go back to whatever wild life you want after you are 100% again.
Also, within limits, it can be helpful to your immune system to maintain some sort of exercise regime - I walked regularly and I think this helped me maintain good blood counts.