PDA

View Full Version : One more reason to by organic dairy (ties into the Herceptin resistance article)

RhondaH
02-20-2007, 11:23 AM
From the Breast Cancer Diet

"1 or 2 Servings a Day of Low-Fat Dairy Products
I use 1 percent rather than fat-free milk because dairy fat has the highest concentration of a molecule called conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), which has promising anticancer activity. I use only organic dairy products from non-BST-treated cows. (BST is a growth hormone.) Milk from non-BST cows contains lesser amounts of a compound called IGF-1. Higher blood levels of IGF-1 have been linked with several types of cancer. Much more research needs to be completed to clarify the relationship between IGF-1 and cancer, but I prefer to eliminate this possible risk factor from my diet."

Take care and God bless

Rhonda

Lani
02-20-2007, 01:10 PM

possible need for caution with Conjugated linoleic acid supplements(info on dairytoo)
Carcinogenesis. 2007 Jan 27; [Epub ahead of print]
The t10,c12 isomer of conjugated linoleic acid stimulates mammary tumorigenesis in transgenic mice overexpressing erbB2 in the mammary epithelium.

Ip MM,
McGee SO,
Masso-Welch PA,
Ip C,
Meng X,
Ou L,
Shoemaker S.
Department of Pharmacology & Therapeutics, University at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY.
Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), a family of isomers of octadecadienoic acid, inhibits rat mammary carcinogenesis, angiogenesis, and lung metastasis from a transplantable mammary tumor. c9,t11-CLA, the predominant isomer in dairy products, and t10,c12-CLA, a component of CLA supplements, are equally effective. The objective of the current studies was to test the efficacy of these two CLA isomers in a clinically relevant breast cancer model. Transgenic mice overexpressing erbB2 in the mammary epithelium were fed control or 0.5% CLA-supplemented diets continuously from weaning. Unexpectedly, t10,c12-CLA stimulated lobular hyperplasia of the mammary epithelium and accelerated mammary tumor development, decreasing median tumor latency to 168 days of age compared to 256 and 270 days in the c9,t11-CLA and control groups, respectively. Metastasis was also increased by t10,c12-CLA, with percent of tumor-bearing mice with lung metastasis 73%, 14%, and 31%, in the t10,c12-CLA, c9,t11-CLA and control groups, respectively. A second study, in which CLA administration was initiated after puberty, confirmed the stimulatory effect of t10,c12-CLA on mammary tumor development and metastasis. Additionally, t10,c12-CLA, but not c9,t11-CLA, increased the size of the liver, heart, spleen and mammary lymph node. The effects of t10,c12-CLA were not specific to erbB2 transgenic mice, as t10,c12-CLA supplementation increased proliferation in the mammary epithelium of both wild type FVB and FVB/erbB2 mice. Moreover, the number of terminal end buds, the mammary epithelial structures most sensitive to a carcinogenic insult, was increased 30-fold in FVB/wild type mice fed t10,c12-CLA. These data suggest that it would be prudent to avoid CLA supplements containing the t10,c12-CLA isomer.However, even though c9,t11-CLA was not efficacious in the erbB2 model,its ability to inhibit mammary tumor development in rat models suggests that it may have activity for prevention of some types of breast cancer.
PMID: 17259656 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

R.B.
02-20-2007, 03:05 PM
I wish there was some way or starting and keeping threads going on regular topics such as CLA Flaxseed etc to try and keep all the information in one place.

Any thoughts

RB

RhondaH
02-20-2007, 05:04 PM
Maybe suggest something to Joe while he is making updates. Take care and God bless.

Rhonda